Dog passport - Vaccinations - Adverse reactions? (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
We are contemplating taking our dog to Europe (or by the time we go then "dogs) and are nervous about side effects that the vaccinations and unfamiliar worming treatments may cause. Has anyone out there seen anything adverse? I would love to hear from loads of people about how their dogs experienced no bad effects at all but if there is anything bad to report, I need to hear this too. Breed of dog would be useful to know. Some may think we are being unnecessarily paranoid about this but we had a beautiful terrier cross, who as it happened lived to the grand old age of 16, but who experienced a terrible side effect, similar to a stroke, on the same evening as having been given Milbemax. We thought we were going to lose him but thankfully he made a reasonable recovery. It may have been nothing to do with the Milbemax but it has made us nervous and as the rabies vaccination comes with more warnings than might be typical of a vaccine, we are particularly worried about that one.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our little Jack Russell in avatar had her rabies jab and worming tablets for the last 5 years of her life with no side effects whatsoever, she lived to 15 and 3 months.

Our Cockapoo had her first rabies jab at 6 months old with no side effects whatsoever she’s now 17 months old and been abroad twice.

John.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We took our mini schnauzer to South Africa with no problems, and all three ( 2 were SA born) had yearly rabies as it's the law there. All were fine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Is it just me or does everyone else hand over the dog passport with their own to HMRC officials when leaving the country? The look of distaste on their face cheers me up no end. Simple things :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Our pampered pooch us extremely sensitive and she's never had a problem with rabies injection or worming injection given by French vets. She can't take the tablets so has to have an injection. She's just a little tired for an hour or so.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Is it just me or does everyone else hand over the dog passport with their own to HMRC officials when leaving the country? The look of distaste on their face cheers me up no end. Simple things :)

Arriving back in Dover last year I was summoned to stop. I offered our passports to the lady, she said "no, I'm animal welfare, I want to see the dog's passport".
She was checking all formalities had been met and he was who he said he was!
She got licked and he got a stroke and we were on our way.

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Our two dogs and the cat has the passport and all three have to have there Jabs kept up to date .niether of them have any side effects ,in fact ours look forward to the ball of corned beet they get after treatment .lol

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours have had all jabs including rabies all their lives and have suffered no ill effects at all. Some of our dogs in the past have sometimes had a bit of diarrhoea after the worming tab but nothing worth concern.
Reading the side effects of anything is sure to make you worry, remember they have to report anything thats ever happened however rare it may be.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There must be risk of side effects as there are with any medication but don't forget to weigh up the side effects of not treating either no trip or kennels (possible risk of infection there) dog feeling lonely etc.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As one who lives in Spain which has a requirement for yearly rabies vaccination along with the normal jabs & a 3 monthly requirement for worming all entered into the dogs 'own vet book', & having had 6 dogs none have suffered any side effects.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never had any problems whatsoever with the vaccinations or tablets, the ONLY issue we had was when one of our dogs was injected for worming instead of having a tablet ... you'd have thought we'd stuck a pig the squeal he made ... he was a wimp though!

We've had our dogs 'passported' etc since 2005, one wasn't done until she was 15, and we have never had any issues at all - our current dogs have all had them since we got them and are now aged 8 (done at 5 months), 10 (done at 6 months) and 13 (done at 18 months), they are a cross Jack Russell/Chihuahua, Patterdale Terrier, and Greyhound/Staffie respectively. Our previous dogs were a cross Westie/Jack Russell (the squealer!) and a Jack Russell/Alsation (the 15 year old).

Last edited:

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Our pampered pooch us extremely sensitive and she's never had a problem with rabies injection or worming injection given by French vets. She can't take the tablets so has to have an injection. She's just a little tired for an hour or so.

That is very interesting. Do you mind me asking, Why can’t your dog take the tablets?

My dog cannot tolerate Milbemax or Drontal. It literally leaves him like a scene from the exorcist within a minute or two of going down (with or without his knowledge of having eaten it).
Our vet did say it could be a case that his stomach cannot tolerate it or that he is allergic to the prazinquantel (tapeworm treatment ingredient).

I did ask about trialling the injection here but its not licensed for vets to use in uk. We are loathed to take him over the water and then him have a serious or deadly reaction to the injection.

She said not to worry. If we hang around the foreign vets for an hour after injection any anaphylaxis reaction (probably spelled wrong) would definitely have shown itself by then and he could be “saved”. I said if that happened would he be signed off as fit to travel and she said probably not....o_O
So here he still is....without a passport.

Mrs Stagman

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our JRTused to be sick after taking the Drontal but last time we gave her some food about 1/2 hour before going to the vet and that worked.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Got to re-new our dog passport this coming Monday, and make sure every thing is up to date, Never had any problems with vets in France, we take a bit of chicken or some sort of meat to put tablet in, she is a greedy little sod and it don't touch the sides,

scoota.JPG

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We are contemplating taking our dog to Europe (or by the time we go then "dogs) and are nervous about side effects that the vaccinations and unfamiliar worming treatments may cause. Has anyone out there seen anything adverse? I would love to hear from loads of people about how their dogs experienced no bad effects at all but if there is anything bad to report, I need to hear this too. Breed of dog would be useful to know. Some may think we are being unnecessarily paranoid about this but we had a beautiful terrier cross, who as it happened lived to the grand old age of 16, but who experienced a terrible side effect, similar to a stroke, on the same evening as having been given Milbemax. We thought we were going to lose him but thankfully he made a reasonable recovery. It may have been nothing to do with the Milbemax but it has made us nervous and as the rabies vaccination comes with more warnings than might be typical of a vaccine, we are particularly worried about that one.

I believe they use milbemax and drontal/droncit out there from what i have read and some let you take your own wormer provided it conforms with defra requirements.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our Westie had all his injections etc. as soon as he was old enough, under the guidance of our excellent vet. We've never had any problems, although he's sometimes a bit quiet after the flea/tick tablet.

Whilst there have been no problems reported on here if you're at all worried ask your vet who, presumably, knows your dog.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That is very interesting. Do you mind me asking, Why can’t your dog take the tablets?

My dog cannot tolerate Milbemax or Drontal. It literally leaves him like a scene from the exorcist within a minute or two of going down (with or without his knowledge of having eaten it).
Our vet did say it could be a case that his stomach cannot tolerate it or that he is allergic to the prazinquantel (tapeworm treatment ingredient).

I did ask about trialling the injection here but its not licensed for vets to use in uk. We are loathed to take him over the water and then him have a serious or deadly reaction to the injection.

She said not to worry. If we hang around the foreign vets for an hour after injection any anaphylaxis reaction (probably spelled wrong) would definitely have shown itself by then and he could be “saved”. I said if that happened would he be signed off as fit to travel and she said probably not....o_O
So here he still is....without a passport.

Mrs Stagman
Nothing as bad as that to be honest. It's a matter that she has extreme difficulties with swallowing the tablet as a tablet. If given the time and either crushed into food or water, then that would be alright but rather than trying that option, it's far easier and more acceptable to have the injection.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We are contemplating taking our dog to Europe (or by the time we go then "dogs) and are nervous about side effects that the vaccinations and unfamiliar worming treatments may cause. Has anyone out there seen anything adverse? I would love to hear from loads of people about how their dogs experienced no bad effects at all but if there is anything bad to report, I need to hear this too. Breed of dog would be useful to know. Some may think we are
Nothing as bad as that to be honest. It's a matter that she has extreme difficulties with swallowing the tablet as a tablet. If given the time and either crushed into food or water, then that would be alright but rather than trying that option, it's far easier and more acceptable to have the injection.
Oh i see. Thank you.
Yes we dont have trouble getting the tablet in him. Its keeping it in him.
We dont even try now. We just get him tested instead every 3 months and keep everything crossed. He doesnt eat dead animals or any other vile things and is thoroughly flea treated so shouldnt get worms and thankfully hasnt (touch wood).

Catherine

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
2 dogs, 2 cats all anti-rabies injected, boosters after 1 st year then every three years. No reactions in any of them.
Never reacted to wormers either and you can always take your own to the vet to administer.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Oh i see. Thank you.
Yes we dont have trouble getting the tablet in him. Its keeping it in him.
We dont even try now. We just get him tested instead every 3 months and keep everything crossed. He doesnt eat dead animals or any other vile things and is thoroughly flea treated so shouldnt get worms and thankfully hasnt (touch wood).

Catherine
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what protection you take or have done, the authorities requirements must be met as regards French vets (other countries also apply) to enable the animals to get back into the UK

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what protection you take or have done, the authorities requirements must be met as regards French vets (other countries also apply) to enable the animals to get back into the UK
I know, which is why he stays here in uk (y)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
On this subject can I ask...... we choose not to have our two dogs vaccinated in the UK annually as we have read studies about the adverse reactions that they can sometimes cause, epilepsy, strokes and as they are part of our family we would not consider putting them into kennels even if allowed. After all we do not vaccinate children each year and they survive. However we do understand the rabies injection is required for the Pet Passport but are the other "annual" jabs? Our dogs are chipped before anyone says they need that. Many thanks

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
On this subject can I ask...... we choose not to have our two dogs vaccinated in the UK annually . . . . . . . but are the other "annual" jabs? Our dogs are chipped before anyone says they need that. Many thanks

A simple answer is NO. Our dog is French-born and we have never been advised to have annual injections, other than for rabies.

Our little horror (as shown in my avatar) is the product of a poodle x Jack Russell mother and a Pincher father. She has never shown an adverse reaction to the jab (given annually her in France) or the worming treatment (Drontal or Milbemax). However, I do sometimes have to give her the tablet in a ball of paté.

John

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A simple answer is NO. Our dog is French-born and we have never been advised to have annual injections,

So why are the "other vaccinations" dhippl etc; all encapsulated in the passport as well as the rabies if you do not need them ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've had 5 dogs over the last 13yrs and all have had rabies jabs and without any issues, no side effects that we have noticed. No issues from the worming either.

Dogs have been:

Hungarian Vizala
Border Terrier
Irish Terrier
Cocker Spaniel

Hope that helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.