Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Drive slower, why risk hitting someone on the other side of the road?

Without going into too much detail, horse shit is fibrous in texture so you'd never skid on it. Perhaps that's why there's no law to get riders to clear it up.

Horse shit in the road can be very slippy on a bike no matter what speed your doing. That said, coming round a bend on my bike, I'd rather hit a pile of horse shit, that someone with a stationary horse bent down picking up horse shit :)

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What a coincidence!! I have no sympathy for people who have no possible concept of what its like to ride a two wheeled motor vehicle. (y)
Let me enlighten you. :) Your travelling at 40 MPH in say a 50 MPH zone. Before you is a left hand bend. You move over towards the centre line, to see your exit through the bend. At that stage you are committed to your line of entry/exit. Suddenly, in your line, there is an obstruction. Road kill, horse crap, silage, whatever. At that point your powerless to alter your line without either swerving into oncoming traffic, or veering into the nearside, (ditch, house, lamp post). Don't forget, you haven't got the ground-base of four wheels to fall back on, only the two. So you plough through the obstruction, grit you teeth, and pray. :eek:
There you are, better now? :)

I still believe that it would be a stupid rider who took their horse on the type of road you describe! Can you imagine being on a large flighty live animal with traffic racing past at 50mph? Believe me it would not end well!

I would think you would be far more likely to have problems with squishy, slippery dead badgers attached to your wheels! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
That reminds me.

.A cowboy rides into town on his trusty steed and stops outside the town saloon. After dismounting from his horse he lifts up its tail, grabs a handful of shit from around its ass and wipes it over his mouth. The bartender notices this and as the cowboy enters the saloon he asks him "hey budy, why did you just smear shit all over your mouth?" The cowboy says "its for my chapped lips". "really?" asks the bartender "I didn't know that helped heal chapped lips?". "it doesn't" replies the cowboy "but it stops me from licking them"
....................................... :groan:

.I had to type it in "Brown" colour for a better effect... :groan::groan:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I came off my bike the other day was only doing 30 mph farmer spilling crap all over the road slicker than dog shite the road
bill

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I see no good reason for anyone to ride horses on the road either. Keep them in fields where they belong.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I see no good reason for anyone to ride horses on the road either. Keep them in fields where they belong.

Sadly, some riders don't have the luxury of a good bridleway network and have to use the roads. It's not something many riders would do given the choice but they'd never get out and about if they didn't. Often they might use a short stretch of road to get from one bridleway to another.

Although horses obviously graze in fields it's not possible to ride willy-nilly through fields without the owner's permission - which would be unlikely.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I still believe that it would be a stupid rider who took their horse on the type of road you describe! Can you imagine being on a large flighty live animal with traffic racing past at 50mph? Believe me it would not end well!
You mean like this?? o_O

huntsman_3159335b.jpg

Or maybe this?? Happening more and more on the A6.

riding-wokingham-roads.jpg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Lots of horses in the roads where we live, people leading them, riding them, some in trotting harnesses. They might hold you up for a minute at most, but you'll get a cheery thank you as they pass. what's the problem?

Tootles..Maybe they could make an Playstation game where you could ride motorbikes and shoot horses, make a change from Call of Duty ;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You mean like this?? o_O

View attachment 75085

Or maybe this?? Happening more and more on the A6.

View attachment 75086
Hey thats an every day occurrence round these parts. Much of the new forest is now limited to 40mph but idiot riders still trot along A roads. certain roads are worse affected than others and it causes traffic chaos with every vehicle trying to pass slow and wide. worst times are weekends and school holidays when daddy's precious little angel decides to exercise their "right" to trot their pony along a busy road

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i am in no way anti horse by the way, as its part of our lifestyle and my wife and family are (or were) regular riders with their own horses and land

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tootles..Maybe they could make an Playstation game where you could ride motorbikes and shoot horses, make a change from Call of Duty
Well, firstly, I would require a playstation......Then, I would need to borrow your entire collection of COD, as well as your special edition of 'Max Payne, Princess Protector'....;):p

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I encounter horses every day when driving don't have a problem with the horses or there deposits but farmers and there slurry that's another mater
bill

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Has anyone considered that some of the crap is from foxes?
Scandalous. I've yet to see one on a lead. Saying that my wife used to push a fox cub around in a pram as a child:LOL:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Impressive - reply to a three year old post
:rofl:

...but for the hell of it

article-2277072-1781FB83000005DC-230_634x690.jpg

:clap2:
Thanks for that. Three years ago was before my time(y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
sadly it seems with everything, a few bad apples spoilt the cart. just a few dogs on a site allowed to crap where they like and not picked up soon accumulate a lot of deposits. If i dont get out in my garden and clean up at least once a day, it soon looks and smells awful

maybe if the councils and site owners started policing the problem and at the same time installed more dog bins, it would really help. one excellent idea is what they do in certain places in america, fit a doggie cesspit beside each dog park. the poo goes down a chute and into the cesspit which digests the solids. planning on maybe fitting one myself at home. 3 medium size dogs produce a lot of waste each and every day

Tried one of these years ago it was cr** with 2 German shepards if I were you I would get a mini digger in to construct one.

Joe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
one excellent idea is what they do in certain places in america, fit a doggie cesspit beside each dog park. the poo goes down a chute and into the cesspit which digests the solids. planning on maybe fitting one myself at home. 3 medium size dogs produce a lot of waste each and every day

Tried one of these years ago it was cr** with 2 German shepards if I were you I would get a mini digger in to construct one.

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back