Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Horse dirt is benevolent vegetarian dung - not stinky carnivorous ordure...
Try saying that on a motorcycle, when you come round a left hander, and there is a mountain of the stuff in the road. Death by horse s**t. Horse owners should be empowered to get off their stupid four legged crap making machines, and shovel it up. (y)

As for horse poo…..there are practically zero risks to humans if they come into contact with it
Right. Read the above and retract.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We help out on a site that has approx 4.5 miles of mowed dog walks, poop bags and bins all over the site on the walks. People still leave the dog poo on the floor and usually right by the bin! We do have a lot of Foxes on site but the poo is definately different to dog's!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Try saying that on a motorcycle, when you come round a left hander, and there is a mountain of the stuff in the road. Death by horse s**t. Horse owners should be empowered to get off their stupid four legged crap making machines, and shovel it up. (y)

Absolutely agree .................... and as for farmers moving cows words fail me.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

You obviously don't like horses!

Surely your bike would go straight through it - it's not concrete you know! I've owned horses for a long time and don't ever recall one 'death by horseshit' event.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Surely your bike would go straight through it - it's not concrete you know!
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
You obviously don't ride a motorcycle!! You hit that stuff on two wheels, on a bend, and its like having ice under your tyres. Road kill is bad enough, but when cars spread horse crap across the highway, you have just nowhere to go.
You obviously don't like horses!

Horses are fine......In fields, where they belong, and not on busy roads. So if you have horses, then please explain why you cant collect your horses dump, as dog owners must?? Surely it's the polite way to go?? o_O

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
You obviously don't ride a motorcycle!! You hit that stuff on two wheels, on a bend, and its like having ice under your tyres. Road kill is bad enough, but when cars spread horse crap across the highway, you have just nowhere to go.

Horses are fine......In fields, where they belong, and not on busy roads. So if you have horses, then please explain why you cant collect your horses dump, as dog owners must?? Surely it's the polite way to go?? o_O

You'd have to have a death wish to ride a horse on a fast or busy road so I doubt you'd ever come across horse shit when you're riding at speed. If you do encounter it then just ride round it.

Without going into too much detail, horse shit is fibrous in texture so you'd never skid on it. Perhaps that's why there's no law to get riders to clear it up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You'd have to have a death wish to ride a horse on a fast or busy road so I doubt you'd ever come across horse shit when you're riding at speed. If you do encounter it then just ride round it.
The roads of West Sussex must be different from those of Derbyshire :)
Without going into too much detail, horse shit is fibrous in texture so you'd never skid on it. Perhaps that's why there's no law to get riders to clear it up.
Probably more to do with the fact that too many horse riders would whinge about being expected to take responsibility and would probably ignore the law in many cases, just as they do with footpaths and "No horse riding" signs :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

You only need to be doing 30 MPH to come off on it. Its really dangerous stuff. :(
Once you have taken a line on a bike around a corner, you cant just 'ride round it'!!! I don't really care if its made out of green cheese, it's lethal, and those who trot for pleasure should dismount, and pick it up! What's wrong with expecting people to do that? Or even nail a bucket to the horse. Surely horse riders have some social conscience?? o_O

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
,......... Surely horse riders have some social conscience?? o_O

Not the ones in this neck of the woods. Consider themselves to be Squire of the Manor and expect riff raff like me to doff my cap.

Didn't this start off a dog thread? :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
SafariScreenSnapz024.jpg

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
In any motor vehicle (including a motorcycle) you should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your side of the road (ref: Roadcraft, the Police Drivers Manual) and don't say it's not possible, because I ride very fast (generally within the law) and my speed, position and observation will always allow me to be able to stop safely in the space I can see.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
In any motor vehicle (including a motorcycle) you should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your side of the road (ref: Roadcraft, the Police Drivers Manual) and don't say it's not possible, because I ride very fast (generally within the law) and my speed, position and observation will always allow me to be able to stop safely in the space I can see.

You Mr Poohbear, will be most welcome in and around the New Forest, we have all kinds of quadruped here but mostly New Forest Ponies and they crap everywhere. In no time at all there will be a motorist scooping this Pony Gold up into a bucket for their roses or whatever.

I watch cyclist and motorist alike avoiding the stuff so why can't a motorcyclist, in fact I know they can because I am one. I believe Tootles this is you just attempting to get a rise out of us poor unsuspecting Fun loving Horse riding fraternity just for the hell of it.

I will gladly handle the stuff with an un-gloved hand but Dog mess is both abhorrent and dangerous.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010

Really? Guess you haven't been to Devon then? :rolleyes:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Like cyclists, horse riders should be required to have insurance when on a public highway :reel:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You only need to be doing 30 MPH to come off on it. Its really dangerous stuff. :(
Once you have taken a line on a bike around a corner, you cant just 'ride round it'!!! I don't really care if its made out of green cheese, it's lethal, and those who trot for pleasure should dismount, and pick it up! What's wrong with expecting people to do that? Or even nail a bucket to the horse. Surely horse riders have some social conscience?? o_O

Where's your proof - as I said before, in many years of horse ownership I've never heard of any accidents involving horse shit!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Apparently, the old silent movie era gag of "slipping on a banana skin" was actually a twist on the common occurrence of slipping in the street on horse shit, but "gentrified" for the new big screen medium (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Where's your proof - as I said before, in many years of horse ownership I've never heard of any accidents involving horse shit!
When horse transport was common people were employed to clean the streets but that has changed.
Even if piles of horse dung don't cause accidents we have surely moved on from the time when it was acceptable to just leave them, especially in residential streets and public parks, just as with dog mess.
In years gone by leaving dog mess behind was accepted or, at least, not prosecuted but has now been seen for the anti-social action that it is. High time the same applied to horses.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Its called fouling the Highway, the same as mud,and construction debris which is a No-no. Dogs don't usually chose the middle of the road to have good TomTit, should this be the case and is solid enough, I normally kick it about till I lose it:)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
No sympathy for motorcyclists and shit on the road! Ride at a speed to cope with what you find in front of you! If you drive too fast and can't avoid something in the road then its your fault! Even if its a cats eye! You should drive at an appropriate speed to retain control of your vehicle!

I am also pretty anti pedal cyclists who seem to want to cause maximum aggro to other road users by riding is by side. When I ride my bike I try try to minimise my impact on other road users.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No sympathy for motorcyclists and shit on the road! Ride at a speed to cope with what you find in front of you! If you drive too fast and can't avoid something in the road then its your fault!
What a coincidence!! I have no sympathy for people who have no possible concept of what its like to ride a two wheeled motor vehicle. (y)
Let me enlighten you. :) Your travelling at 40 MPH in say a 50 MPH zone. Before you is a left hand bend. You move over towards the centre line, to see your exit through the bend. At that stage you are committed to your line of entry/exit. Suddenly, in your line, there is an obstruction. Road kill, horse crap, silage, whatever. At that point your powerless to alter your line without either swerving into oncoming traffic, or veering into the nearside, (ditch, house, lamp post). Don't forget, you haven't got the ground-base of four wheels to fall back on, only the two. So you plough through the obstruction, grit you teeth, and pray. :eek:
There you are, better now? :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You must be one of the few of us that have 'Google Earth' vision of the road ahead. You can see a layer of s**t spread across the road, (by preceding cars), and be able to stop in time, (don't forget, you do ride very fast). :) I think not. You only see stuff like that when your almost on top of it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You Mr Poohbear, will be most welcome in and around the New Forest, we have all kinds of quadruped here but mostly New Forest Ponies and they crap everywhere. In no time at all there will be a motorist scooping this Pony Gold up into a bucket for their roses or whatever.

I watch cyclist and motorist alike avoiding the stuff so why can't a motorcyclist, in fact I know they can because I am one. I believe Tootles this is you just attempting to get a rise out of us poor unsuspecting Fun loving Horse riding fraternity just for the hell of it.

I will gladly handle the stuff with an un-gloved hand but Dog mess is both abhorrent and dangerous.
Says the man who is so confident in his riding, that he needs two front wheels............(y):)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Drive slower, why risk hitting someone on the other side of the road?

I'm not a biker but I anticipated that a biker would not make the corner thus placing us, coming from the opposite direction at risk. The bike somersaulted the car in front and landed in front of me, Good reason to have left an appropriate gap or we would have run the twat over! I wrestled the bike off him as he screamed in agony from the weight of the bike on him. called the ambulance and the rest was history. Never called as a witness but he was driving too fast and probably lost the back end on a cats eye putting everyone coming the other way at risk!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I haven't riden a motorbike for many years, but fully agree that horse crap on the carriageway is dangerous if not seen in time. Driving various other vehicles round the new forest over the years, i have experienced another crappy occurence. light vehicle ahead sprays a wet fresh horse crap up in the air depositing it on your windscreen. must be worse getting sprayed in the face when on a bike. yes I know its only chewed up grass, but still not pleasant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back