May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Can I ask the collective this-
If you had only had female dogs up to now and you were thinking of having another dog would you try & find a male or female to adopt?
I think it’s still a bit early to actually get another dog-only just over a fortnight since we ‘lost’ Gina-but we are going thru the motions.
Off to France on Monday, there is one beach there that she adored so her ashes are going there.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I always have females, no idea why. They found me, I suppose, rather than me actively go looking for a dog.
My daughter has a male Patterdale and he’s ok. As they’re all neutered anyway, I don’t suppose it makes a lot of difference.
Give yourselves time. When the time is right, a dog will find you.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Having had both over the years, I would have a bitch and unless you're intending to breed have her spayed after the first season. Bitches are less aggressive, don't stop at every lamp post and if the vet asks for a urine sample that is easier too. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
girls have different characters to most boys and on the whole are more loving

As for too early? Gina would want you to go on loving a dog. The right one for you will turn up when they need YOU

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We're all different and so are dogs. We've had both sexes and my 3 female border terriers have been more trouble than the 3 males I've had. Had a couple of soppy and loving Male labrador springers and a very loving female labrador who didn't like strangers or kids.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's too hard to choose, some say bitches are more loyal, or less inclined to wander, but its not a hard and fast rule, and you'll already know that bitches can be bitches :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ive had both and currently have one of each. Cant say it makes much difference, personality is much more significant than gender.
Bitches will also mark every bush and post if they are the dominant one, which they often are as dogs seem to be matriarchal

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have had both sexes and i definitely prefer bitches purely for the fact they don't stop for a wee every 5 mins.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
After many years of only having bitches I've now got one of each.. and my dog is the most gentle and affecttionate of the two....so it really does seem to be down to temperament. His neutering cost much less than his sisters. Yes, he does pee on things..... but apart from that I haven't seen any difference to be honest...

And when you're ready the right dog will be there needing a loving home...

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We’ve a bitch Patterdale and defiantly Alpha.
I think bitches are more aggressive.
We also have a small bitch Patterdale and she is a little bitch at times
IMG_9708.JPG

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We also have a small bitch Patterdale and she is a little bitch at times
View attachment 328589

4736EAD6-1798-4C68-AABC-9758101D31EF.jpeg

This is ours and doesn’t tolerate other dogs, although she gets on with the dudes rescue dog.
Once they’d had a bit of a set too ?
No blood was drawn though.
She’s all noise and teeth but no bitting

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A bitch 100%. I walk my son’s dog and my own bitch. The dog wants to sniff every blade of grass and cock his leg. It drives me nuts.

Mrs QFour

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My Laika, sniffs everything and pees on it if it doesn't move even when her tanks empty.
She is a dominant bitch and it's her tail which gives it away , bolt upright when she sees another dog. She's never been submissive no matter what dog she meets. She's a very loyal dog and very loving.
My last dog was a bitch as well but totally different to laika.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I thought about a Patterdale and did some reading-up and nearly everything pointed to them not being a ‘house’ dog, being very hyper and a real hunter, one site even “said if you want a Patterdale as a pet leave this site now”
Are they really as mad & difficult to live with?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I’ve had both, I prefer girls just because I like to rub tummies and the boys “lipstick” always grossed me out.
It's strange how small dogs have willies out of all proportion to their body size :D2 .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought about a Patterdale and did some reading-up and nearly everything pointed to them not being a ‘house’ dog, being very hyper and a real hunter, one site even “said if you want a Patterdale as a pet leave this site now”
We've had quite a few dogs over the years and Piggy, our Jack Russell / Alsation cross (mother was the JR!), was the dominant one despite her being the smallest of the 5 dogs we had.

Piggy back of couch 2.JPG

We now have a Patterdale, Lily, and she is MUCH MORE strong willed than Piggy, feisty ... she will happily run over towards other dogs to check them out then turn round about 10 ft away and come back once she's happy they're not a 'threat'. She's also an extremely loyal and loving dog, but I'm not sure I'd go looking for one again!

PP3.jpg

However we have a cross Chinuahua/Jack Russell (Chisel!) who pees all the time, sniffs everything, does a 'donkey' impression when not wanting to go somewhere (ie won't move!) and sulks ... surprising despite these being male traits she's female, soft as a brush and the most loving dog I've every owned!

Donkey impression.jpg

I've had one male dog, Midge, a cross Jack Russell/Westie who was very laid back, nothing bothered him and he 'smiled' and grinned at us when we arrived back home etc, it was rare to get any licks so if you did you were very privileged! He was very loyal though and loved havin cuddles. On his walks he peed on everything that didn't move though.

Grinning Midge.jpg
midge on knee2.jpg

We usually have girls simply because we don't like to 'mix' sexes to avoid territorial/hierarchy issues, but when we went looking for another dog our Piggy got on so well when she met Midge that we just had to take him. The ONE thing that is 'awkward' about a small male dog is that when you pick him up you can inadvertently 'touch' a certain part of the anatomy and if you hold him against you, if he has been for a wee you might get a 'spot' on your clothes ... I'll say no more but male dog owners will understand!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
if he has been for a wee you might get a 'spot' on your clothes ... I'll say no more but male dog owners will understand!

Yes the women in our house much prefer bitches especially during tickles and cuddles as they would hate it when inadvertently touching the "lipstick"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes the women in our house much prefer bitches especially during tickles and cuddles as they would hate it when inadvertently touching the "lipstick"
Are we still talking about dogs (I'm thinking about Sian's preference!)? :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

If you have a Patterdale you really need to dominate it.
Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile and a bit more.

We’ve had no problems with ours in the house or the MoHo.
Very calm and travels well.

From the start we crated her at night and when we go out.
That’s her security area and never barks when in there.

She only chases squirrels or rabbits and is happy to ignore sheep and cattle.

Loves running but will only go so far before checking I’m following her.

She will come back to a whistle we started this early on and she doesn’t go down rabbit holes.

I’ve been told you can get a Patterdale from dopey and soft to wanting to fight everything.
Probably like any breed.

Ohh they are tough as old boots as well.
Never flinched at the yearly injection ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back