Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have this RAC one for my 2, strap it down on the table and they love it as they can see where we are going😁😁
View attachment 493153
I saw that picture on a previous thread and was a bit concerned then, in an accident the cage would likely collapse and the dogs could be catapulted through the front as it offers no real restraint protection.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One of the reasons we don't use sites is due to some being rather 'picky' about dogs, we were at Bristol's CC/CMC many years ago and were made to feel very, very uncomfortable as soon as we arrived by the 'wardens' and told in no uncertain terms that our dogs must be kept OFF the grass, this included when on our own pitch not just the general areas or other people's pitches, it wasn't just for toileting but all the time, it meant they had to stay on the granite chip hardstanding. I know other sites won't be as bad but the trouble is unless you ask when booking you don't know. After this we only used CLs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
So this is what we have (or incredibly similar), is this what you folks mean by harness?
When googling I seem to get this come up, as a result, I had in my head that this was more for walking than traveling.

If I got a travel cage for him it would take up too much room I think. I've had a word with him this morning and he assures me that he will be on his best behavior when we go traveling. He's very much looking forward to the fun.

20pa-r-l_web_2__1.jpg
That’s fine - dual purpose, walking and travelling.

I have never been in a site that had a no weeing on grass rule but have stayed in one that said dogs must be walked on the roads and not allowed to wee on the wooden posts as it rotted them.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I saw that picture on a previous thread and was a bit concerned then, in an accident the cage would likely collapse and the dogs could be catapulted through the front as it offers no real restraint protection.
You tube does show a ( dummy) dog catapulted through mesh ( the zip fails) and hitting windscreen, can be solved by turning the crate sideways.

The ‘impossible to believe’ is travelling with a dog on your lap. A 16 stone man can not hold a housebrick on his lap at 30mph and it goes through the windscreen . Eeeekk

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
That's a walking harness, the proper travel harnesses have a padded chest area (as in post #22) so that in an accident they are cushioned and don't damage the internal organs.
I’ll dig out the name of the harness… its a good one

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I disagree with you. It’s entirely possible to get your dog off site to go to the toilet, we manage it. I have two problems with you letting your dog go on the site. Firstly, even the neatest scoop can leave a residue. I would not want my grandchildren playing where your dog has previously crapped. Secondly, in allowing your dog to go on site, you give all dog owners a bad name.
Thats your opinion and your quite entitled to it and I applaud you for haveing them trained
If you want to train your dog to hold his bladder (which may or may not be good for it) then thats your call. SOme folk would say that makes you a bad name.

No site I have ever been on have a problem with it.

some of the sites Ive been on and seen reports of , the kids make far more mess than the dogs ::bigsmile:
I find dog owners give themselves a bad name not me. My dogs are 2 of the most obedient and well trained you will meet, I just dont make them squeeze their scissors till Im ready, not them.

what do you do about the residue of yoru dog when off site ? or do you make it hold it until it is at place where no human could ever walk.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
So this is what we have (or incredibly similar), is this what you folks mean by harness?
When googling I seem to get this come up, as a result, I had in my head that this was more for walking than traveling.

If I got a travel cage for him it would take up too much room I think. I've had a word with him this morning and he assures me that he will be on his best behavior when we go traveling. He's very much looking forward to the fun.

20pa-r-l_web_2__1.jpg
Our dog is a 35kg German shepherd/Bitsa mix who has exactly this harness, they are excellent. For travelling it really depends on the dog. Booth (our dog) absolutely WILL NOT settle down until he has had a sniff and wee after we leave. So our habit now is to leave, travel for about 30 mins and then stop for 5 mins to let him do his thing. He'll then quite happily settle down and sleep/chill out for a couple of hours without a break. We have a large transporter than handily fits on our rear lower bunk. He's a bit too bouncy to not be in a transporter. The transporter itself is one of the collapsible, material types so as soon as we get where we are going, it either can stay up (if we are wilding) or get put down and stowed in the garage if we are staying on a site. For a lab, I personally can't recommend any of the seat-belt type straps, even though I would love one, as I cannot find one that has been safety rated above 30kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That’s fine - dual purpose, walking and travelling.

I have never been in a site that had a no weeing on grass rule but have stayed in one that said dogs must be walked on the roads and not allowed to wee on the wooden posts as it rotted them.
I'm afraid it is not suitable for travelling - it has no padding on the chest area at all (ie the front) so a dog could suffer internal injuries from the unpadded strap, that's why travelling ones have the 'bone shaped' padded front section.

I’ll dig out the name of the harness… its a good one
We've got one which we used for our Romy but only for walking.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Whilst we are on the subject, any personal recommendations on non-slip food/water bowls? He has to have a no-gulp bowl at the moment otherwise he bolts everything down and can't keep it down (it doesn't seem to matter what size portion either, been like it since he was a pup) - so I am hoping to find a no-gulp with some travel connotation attached.
Look on ebay for some suction cups. Cut a groove into the cup that will fit the side wall of his existing bowl and voila

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've got this type, work a treat! Only time we ever had a spill was when one was tipped over accidentally ... by a person's foot standing on it! :giggle:

<Broken link removed>

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You tube does show a ( dummy) dog catapulted through mesh ( the zip fails) and hitting windscreen, can be solved by turning the crate sideways.
Not sure that would solve it totally though as the frames are just to hold the cloth rigid (like a tent) and aren't meant to give support in a collision against the force of something being flung onto the cloth, so the cage could collapse and the over-top strap could cause injury ... whilst convenient for travel and folding down these type of cages tend to be used next to bulkheads/seat backs etc so that extra support/protection is given rather than just relying on the cage alone, they definitely aren't meant to be fastened to table tops where they have no additional support at all, however, if it can be pushed right up to the rear of the cab seat that may be a way to provide this - otherwise I think they offer a false sense of security when used in this manner.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We've got this type, work a treat! Only time we ever had a spill was when one was tipped over accidentally ... by a person's foot standing on it! :giggle:

<Broken link removed>
Thanks for that. We had one but gave it away as we weren’t going to have another dog.

GBon

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest dreamstar
Exp
Since September 2020
Hi we have 3 dogs who loved the caravan which of course meant they were attached to the seat belts in the back of the car. So when we bought the motorhome I bought 3 seatbelt attachments which are hooked around the bed legs and attached to the dogs harnesses. They have a lovely thick foam mattress topper covered with a blanket to lie on for the journey. Our seats are always covered with throws so we don’t have hair or dirty marks on the upholstery. My husband, with a pocket full of poo bags, takes the dogs on walks/toilet breaks during the day and a final walk just before bed time. While sitting outside we have the dogs on extended leads attached to large screws in the ground. We have normal water and food bowls which we put on a rubber backed mat to stop any spills that might occur. All of the above has worked very well for us, we have happy dogs who are with us 24/7 which makes us happy and we all enjoy being away together.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our family has 3 canine members and all of them do their best to wait to toilet till we reach the approved area or the road. If on a footpath, they always try and keep it to one side, ideally in the weeds. However accidents can and do happen, in which case, we clean up as fully as possible. Not saying we don't clean up elsewhere, we always do

Travelling, they all wear Julius K9 harnesses which are clipped to chains bolted to the floor or into seatbelts in the car. Cheap Chinese made harnesses are dangerous as the give no protection at all

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thats your opinion and your quite entitled to it and I applaud you for haveing them trained
If you want to train your dog to hold his bladder (which may or may not be good for it) then thats your call. SOme folk would say that makes you a bad name.

some of the sites Ive been on and seen reports of , the kids make far more mess than the dogs ::bigsmile:
I find dog owners give themselves a bad name not me. My dogs are 2 of the most obedient and well trained you will meet, I just dont make them squeeze their scissors till Im ready, not them.

what do you do about the residue of yoru dog when off site ? or do you make it hold it until it is at place where no human could ever walk.
We make a point of parking close to the dog walk, or exit, so our dog doesn’t have far to walk. We also take her out regularly so she’s not holding on. I do maintain that doing all you can to stop your dog going to the toilet on site is the responsible thing to do.

There is a massive difference between traces of dog faeces on a site and dog faeces on the dog walk. I would not expect my grandchildren to play on a dog walk.

As regards mess left by children, yes it’s completely unacceptable as well as is any mess left behind.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't believe any harness is guaranteed to restrain the dog in the event of an accident - I could be wrong but a while ago whilst examining a few in a pet store every one I looked at had a disclaimer. They're useful in keeping the dog away from the driver though. I have three dogs that travel unrestrained: one on the floor in front of the passenger, one on the bench seat behind the driver, and one on the floor between the seats. They don't move much when we're travelling and in the event of an accident they can't travel far enough to build up any momentum so as far as I'm concerned they (and we) are about as safe as possible.

OP
OP
sitesurfer
May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
wow I am blown away by the positive and informational responses so far, quite frankly I was expecting a bit of push back about not having taken him in the car before and I'm really grateful that my reasoning was understood.

This really is a top place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
wow I am blown away by the positive and informational responses so far, quite frankly I was expecting a bit of push back about not having taken him in the car before and I'm really grateful that my reasoning was understood.

This really is a top place.
Let's be having some photos of him then ... then you will get a load of house-points! :giggle:

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Wow I've never been to a site where the dog couldn't pee on the grass. Doesn't sound like my kind of site! Solid waste obviously needs picking up though. Plenty of chilled sites out there that will enable you and your dog to actually have a fun holiday not be worrying constantly about rules. We were at a lovely place nr Brecon at the weekend and went in the far field so Beech didn't even have to be tied up and she had an exclusive river front position for easy access to cool down and have a drink. Enjoy your adventures with your lab. He will love it!
View attachment 493152View attachment 493151
+1 Lovely site

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Not sure that would solve it totally though as the frames are just to hold the cloth rigid (like a tent) and aren't meant to give support in a collision against the force of something being flung onto the cloth, so the cage could collapse and the over-top strap could cause injury ... whilst convenient for travel and folding down these type of cages tend to be used next to bulkheads/seat backs etc so that extra support/protection is given rather than just relying on the cage alone, they definitely aren't meant to be fastened to table tops where they have no additional support at all, however, if it can be pushed right up to the rear of the cab seat that may be a way to provide this - otherwise I think they offer a false sense of security when used in this manner.
True, posted a link above.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
True, posted a link above.
I've watched the video and a few others too and am more than happy that I do NOT use a harness, cloth cage/carrier etc. My dogs usually travel on the floor, either between the cab seats or in the dog bed which is pushed right up against the centre console, the trouble with harnesses etc is that people think they provide a safe way to allow dogs to travel on seats etc and clearly they are not.

This one shows what happens to harnesses ...

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017

All this talk of dog toileting and so on has made me want to “go”

Maybe I need some bladder training,rather like the dogs.......any advice???:mad::mad::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All this talk of dog toileting and so on has made me want to “go”

Maybe I need some bladder training,rather like the dogs.......any advice???:mad::mad::ROFLMAO:
1620322394217.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back