Dog, onsite advice please. (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I've watched the video and a few others too and am more than happy that I do NOT use a harness, cloth cage/carrier etc. My dogs usually travel on the floor, either between the cab seats or in the dog bed which is pushed right up against the centre console, the trouble with harnesses etc is that people think they provide a safe way to allow dogs to travel on seats etc and clearly they are not.

This one shows what happens to harnesses ...

Certainly up against a bulkhead or chair/console is good, a harness helps to put/kerp them there. . Personally, having seen seen a dog barking at where its legs used to be after a car crash I couldn’t have mine loose in the vehicle. Sorry for the downer …

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Certainly up against a bulkhead or chair/console is good, a harness helps to put/kerp them there. . Personally, having seen seen a dog barking at where its legs used to be after a car crash I couldn’t have mine loose in the vehicle. Sorry for the downer …
Insurance is likely to be void if a dog is not secured in such a way that prevents it interfering with the driver.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Insurance is likely to be void if a dog is not secured in such a way that prevents it interfering with the driver.
I suspect that is only if it can be proved that this was the cause of the accident though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our latest motorhome mutltly travels between the front seats on his padded mat and his fleece blanket. He is tethered to a D Ring on the seat base with a short springy lead and his harness. I can open the lower air vent on to his head when it’s hot.
On site he mostly waits until we get to the dog walk before he marks his spot. If he gets caught short before he gets off site I always have bags on me and make sure it’s all picked up.
I have been asked what breed our dog is a couple of times but it’s only been an issue once. Our last dog was a collie German shepherd cross and the site concerned said he couldn’t be trusted on there farm site.
He was the least likely to bother farm animals he was scared of cats never mind anything bigger.

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Ours didn’t take to a long line so we got this inflatable windbreak, it’s brilliant. Although the first time we used it, Maggie the bulldog just walked under the van and got out, so we have a skirt as well now.
We put our dogs in separate crates and seatbelted the crates to the seat, however the large crate/dog rubbed holes in the leather seats which we had to get repaired, so she now travels on the floor
403C0B6F-0A91-4195-8E4E-DCC33F5A2393.jpeg

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We have strong long leads anchored through under the rear lounge seats into the garage where there are floor anchor points and each has a travel harness bought from Pets at Home. On pitch they are anchored together on a red spike ( again Pets at Home) with plastic covered metal cables. These hammer well into the ground and do not seem to pull out. Our big dog is 40kg and the smaller 30kg. The screw in type are useless. Both travel extremely well on the seats. Unless an accident they always wait to toilet on a walk. I'm sure your lab will have a fabulous time being with you 24/7 and finding new places to explore and new people/ dogs to meet. Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.