Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
having just returned from a month touring brittany with our own dog, it still amazes me, that in a country that prides itself in keeping its villages original and unspoilt. [there were posters everywhere celebrating the fact in photos, that places still looked the same after 100 years] every pavement and area of public space is full of dog crap !! not once did i see a french motorhomer or even a local for that matter, pick up after their dog! despite signs and even free poo bags in some of the bigger towns. i watched daily, as small dogs were carried out of french vans on aires, put down on the grass to crap and carried back to the van without a single thought of picking it up! i think though, the icing on the cake came when we were walking along a beachfront walkway when i realised that a number of people walking and chatting away in front were holding onto extending leads which were dangling over the small sea wall to the beach. where upon their dogs were busy crapping onto the sand just behind where families were sat !! its a good job france isnt an island because if it were, it would bloody well sink under the weight of dog crap ! we love france and we have always found the french people to be very proud of their way of life, so what is going on regarding this issue ? perhaps frankie could give us a french perspective on the subject ? regards garry

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
We too were touring France (just left 2 wks ago) and it was quite a dilemma for us, especially when we couldn't find a dog bin! We couldn't decide if the French would be happy with dog poo in the general waste bins, so in the end we resorted to the old "when in Rome" but only if Albie pooed in hedges or off country paths etc. And we also have this problem now we're in Portugal, our campsite has lots of toilekans for waste but you don't see any elsewhere!
I have always walked with my head down (which annoys my father immensely) but thank god I do cos I'd be clearing dog muck from my shoes every day otherwise lol

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We too were touring France (just left 2 wks ago) and it was quite a dilemma for us, especially when we couldn't find a dog bin! We couldn't decide if the French would be happy with dog poo in the general waste bins, so in the end we resorted to the old "when in Rome" but only if Albie pooed in hedges or off country paths etc. And we also have this problem now we're in Portugal, our campsite has lots of toilekans for waste but you don't see any elsewhere!
I have always walked with my head down (which annoys my father immensely) but thank god I do cos I'd be clearing dog muck from my shoes every day otherwise lol

Well probably not well educated on the subject!

The main answer you'll get will be, "it will dry and go back to soil just as it did ages ago".
No matter whether they eat meat while cows eat grass....All wild animals do poo without anyone to pick it up so why not the others?!

The only thing is.... yes it dries and go back to soil ...when there is soil! Not on pavements, and this is where education should have started!

French people are very difficult to domesticate you know, whatever the subject. It has its positive sides and unfortunatly his negative sides. Bad sides do stink in this particular case and cost a lot to all tax payers!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's not as bad as letting your grey waste out onto the road though surely?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We spent a night at Grand Fort Philipe nice aire on the side of the tidal river lovely little town and harbour but the walk along the front with dog dodo spoilt what was a nice stop over, I know it's not only in France we have had it on our front path lucky I spotted it before it got walked all over, We have not had a dog only cat's, but the lazy cat's round here don't even bother burying it they just do it on the grass :Doh:

Ps we hope to go back to France soon it's a lovely Country to tour around with always somewhere to visit.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The French have a strange relationship with there dogs. Particularly small lap dogs. Many is the time I have been in restaurants and they have had a small dog sitting on a chair being fed titbits at the table. I was once visiting a friend in hospital and a lady came in carrying a dog under her arm visiting her husband in the next bed. She just plonked the dog down on the easy chair and got herself another chair. No one said a word or gave it a second look even though it sat scratching itself all through visiting :Doh:.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am glad you started this thread, I thought it was me being unlucky! During our recent two week holiday to Brittany I had to de-poo my shoes twice and threw one door mat away as I couldn't face cleaning it.

We got frustrated with how many beaches wouldn't allow dogs on, but when we did find one couldn't believe how much dog poo was on there, such ashame. :Angry:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hmm ... Ok, I just recently spent a week on the south coast ofEngland in a 'nice' residential area. Every day when I went out to the MH I counted at least another 4 plastic bags, carefully knotted, of dog***t, adding to the collection already there ... When returning to Wales where we used to live we saw numerous packages hanging in trees and bushes ... wrapped or not it doesn't appear to be just France which suffers .. and it's not just dogs :RollEyes:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I agree, it's definitely not just the French and I really don't get the bag it and sling it mentality, what is the point in doing that!?

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i also am not saying its a french only problem . i am just totally mystified as to why, when they make such an effort to keep places looking nice with flowers and free of litter etc they appear to be oblivious to pavements full of dog crap !! regards garry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I would put it in the bin - wrapped - Yes! If you can put soiled babies (disposable) nappies in there, also certain ladies products - how is dog poo different?

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
IN a slight defense of France,I have noticed a few bins in some areas pooping(sic) up!
However having lived here off and on for 13 years.I still have a double take in restaurants with a dog sitting at the table!Small ones of course.Large dogs do seem to have been trained to lay under said table.:RollEyes:
Having said that I have family in the UK who feed their Dalmatian at the table,during the meal and if he doesn't take whats offered,drop it on the cream carpet.Of course he dribbles profusely whilst nudging their arm whilst they are eating,lack of training and he gets a sharp word when he nudges my arm.
Of course it's all about training,animal and owner.!:Sad:

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
wooooohhh and there was me thinking i might of brought up a non politically correct subject !!!!

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
It's not as bad as letting your grey waste out onto the road though surely?
far worse its only washing up water but dog babber is disgusting. they do it here in this country when the owners think no ones looking steve:Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
far worse its only washing up water but dog babber is disgusting. they do it here in this country when the owners think no ones looking steve:Angry:

It was tongue in cheek Steve::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
A lady spoke to me in Honfleur last year in English, I asked her how she knew I was English, you have just cleared up your dog's poo she said.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back