Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have been with NFU all of Bruno's like and since we have had Amy.

I have Amy's renewal through and it's now £40 a month but really annoy's me is her excess has gone from £50 to £70.
I insure Amy as Danes can have big problem and my ex wont.:RollEyes:

Went my late Bruno reached ten they double his excess:Angry:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I have been with NFU all of Bruno's like and since we have had Amy.

I have Amy's renewal through and it's now £40 a month but really annoy's me is her excess has gone from £50 to £70 and this really annoys me.
I insure Amy as Danes can have big problem and my ex wont.:RollEyes:

Went my late Bruno reached ten they double his excess:Angry:

We used to have rotties and also suffered from increasing excess as the got older:Sad:. The insurance companies know that as a dog ages it is more likely to develop problems so the premiums increase and so does the excess. Robbing B.....ds that they are:Angry:, but that is the business we deal with.

I read in the papers that they had a really bad year last year paying out for the tsunami, earthquakes and the Australia floods in excess of £2.5 billion and recorded a pre tax loss of £697m, against a pre tax profit of £628m the previous year:Eeek:. Despite this the industry has some £51 billion of excess capital sloshing around, not exactly hard up then are they:Eeek::Eeek:.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We took on an elderly poodle many years ago and the cost of insuring him was to our mind excessive, so we stopped the insurance on all our pets at the time and instead put the amount away each month into a savings account to be drawn on if vets bills became too dear.

We have now done this for approx 10years now and have never had a bill that we could not meet. We only take money to pay large bills not day to day bills. The largest bill we have had to meet from it was £7.500 for a dog in Royal Coll Vet Surgeons so seems to work, and we are still well in credit.

Might not work for everybody but it's another method that has worked for us, so thought it worth sharing. If it was started on a young animal with luck by the time the expensive bills come along there will be enough in hand to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We took on an elderly poodle many years ago and the cost of insuring him was to our mind excessive, so we stopped the insurance on all our pets at the time and instead put the amount away each month into a savings account to be drawn on if vets bills became too dear.

We have now done this for approx 10years now and have never had a bill that we could not meet. We only take money to pay large bills not day to day bills. The largest bill we have had to meet from it was £7.500 for a dog in Royal Coll Vet Surgeons so seems to work, and we are still well in credit.

Might not work for everybody but it's another method that has worked for us, so thought it worth sharing. If it was started on a young animal with luck by the time the expensive bills come along there will be enough in hand to use.

Great and best idea, my trouble is nowadays being retired and get bored hopeless with ca$h.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Our main reason for taking out insurance when we had rotties was for the third party liability, although they were not really any problem there is always the risk. Now as I work in a public setting and my collie cross is a bit of a nutter the third party insurance is a must, although once again the excess makes it almost worthless unless he does some serious damage. Can't win really, we did make a couple of claims when we had the rotties, both for cancer treatment.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Have had a few visits to the vets recently but cant claim as the excess on Susie' s insurance is now £100, she is on regular heart meds and water tablets and eye ointment buy all that on the internet now with a prescription from the vet, saves me a bit of money but that's the reason I buy insurance for her and still cant claim it.
Just had a visit which cost £92, thought she was meeting her maker, but thankfully turned out to be a virus which the vet has cured,cant claim anything as it's under the excess.
Hopefully will cover me though if something that costs really big come sup.
I pay £32 a month for her and she is 14 years old, have gone up steadily since she was 8 years old.
I have been thinking of cancelling the insurance but sod's law something will come up, she has by the vets diagnosis only 6 to 8 months to live poor thing!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have had a few visits to the vets recently but cant claim as the excess on Susie' s insurance is now £100, she is on regular heart meds and water tablets and eye ointment buy all that on the internet now with a prescription from the vet, saves me a bit of money
veterinary eye drops/ointment are a rip off.

we had drops from the vet for our Russell and curiosity had me remove the vets label....underneath were the words

REMOVE CONTACT LENSES BEFORE USE

after that we bought at boots the chemist at a fraction of the vets cost :thumb:
probably the same for water tablets

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back