Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversation
Exp
New
Hello all, input will be much appreciated.
After Christmas I am planning to travel through France to Spain, with a dog.
I have been reading up on the law in Spain. "Murcia Today" printed a list of regulations regarding this. It says that dogs must always travel in a crate etc etc. I travel alone and my terrier likes to sit on the passenger seat and " help me drive ".
I would like to find out if these laws are strictly enforced or are they largely ignored?
Also they say that there are little or no, dog friendly beaches in Spain?

Thanks in advance.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We never crate our dog. He has his own seat and window. Unless the crate is bolted to the floor then in an accident the crate, plus, dog will be hurled through the air - far worse in my opinion.

If you want him on the front seat beside you buy a webbing strap (readily available for a couple of quid) which you clip to the dog's harness then slot into the seatbelt clip. This will hold your dog secure on the seat.

As for dogs on beaches - I doubt you'll have any problems off season. Happy travels!

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have travelled throughout Spain for last ten years with our Yorkie (now 10) on wives lap and never ever had a problem with that !
Even when stuck in traffic and talking to the police on duty, I think it is just another scare story !
Re beaches , never had any problems there either, we always take him with us and ensure that he has something to lie on, an umbrella for shade and plentiful cold water supply.
BTW he has never in his life been in a "crate" or dog box !!
Go and enjoy yourselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Not sure where”Murcia Today” got this information from but it’s wrong,, The Law states a Dog must be Secured/Teathered and just as Southdowners as suggested this is perfectly adequate.
With regards to Dogs on Beaches it is strictly forbidden throughout Spain other than on Dedicated “Dog Beaches” that are clearly marked even though they are limited.

On a deserted Beach away from any Urbanizations you probably won’t have a problem but facing a €500 fine you need to be careful, always carry Doggy Bags to prove you CleanUp after your Dog.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back