Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Just been to the Lincoln Motorhome Show with the Funsters last weekend. Had a great weekend at the show but it was a shame about the dog fouling. Several people took their dogs for a walk at the top field where we were pitched and did not attempt to clean up after their dogs. There were a lot of responsible people who did clean up. It doesn't leave a good impression for anyone else wanting to use the field after us.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There were also some dog owners who used long leads (or none at all) when it was explicitly stated that short leads were required to be used. Also, in the exhibition area, several dogs not under proper control - lunging at other dogs and one even trying to eat stuff off a pet supplies stall whilst the owners simpered the likes of "don't do that".

Unfortunately that is what we have to expect of some dog owners wherever we are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I hate to say this about our adopted county, but in some places the people with dogs in Cornwall do not clean up. We noticed this particularly on the path from the Lizard village down to the lighthouse and walking the other way out of the village to Kynance Cove. In all other respects we love Cornwall more than home in Yorkshire, and that is saying something, but Yorkshire definitely has the edge in considerate dog owners. I agree with the judge above though. We have just come back from a tour of Brittany and on one site near Camaret, one pair of young female motorhomers who had two dogs in their van let them roam and do their business all over the site.

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
There are good dog owners and bad dog owners. I have also noticed a correlation with how they bring up their kids too!!!

Now my dog wont "go" when he is on the lead but will only do his business at edges of hedges etc etc. We always tidy up after him because he puts out some massive deposits!!!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
a disgrace to be honest. Dont go to France then..unless you like playing hop scotch:censored:

We found just the opposite.... Saw only one Henry on the footpath and VERY little litter.

The UK looks like on great big litter bin these days. What inspires clowns to throw crap on the floor I will never understand !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's not a 'dog' thing, it's a 'people' thing.
People are either considerate of others, or they are not.
It's no different from playing your music too loud or dumping your grey waste all over the road.
No use trying to reason with them because they can't see any wrong in their actions.
Simply get on with life and try not to get too upset about it - they're not worth the hassle

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There are good dog owners and bad dog owners. I have also noticed a correlation with how they bring up their kids too!!!
I have noticed that also!

Now my dog wont "go" when he is on the lead but will only do his business at edges of hedges etc etc. We always tidy up after him because he puts out some massive deposits!!!!
We always clear up after our dogs, well except for once, when our Lab took a dump on a cow pat, and frankly I was not going to forensically dissect the result! :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We always clear up after our dogs, well except for once, when our Lab took a dump on a cow pat, and frankly I was not going to forensically dissect the result! :D
No sense of adventure that man :LOL:;)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A dog mess thread again, we all know owners should pick up but asking them to do so is not considered a "fun" thing to do, I'm guessing we should pick up after their dogs for them. It is an emotive subject that gets me into trouble so will not be replying again on this thread.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
One of the biggest problems is a lot of people pick their dog muck up put it in a bag and then leave it on the floor or hang it on the fence etc , the fishing dog leads are are a b****y nuisance and should be banned.

We have a g.s.d and clean up every time and dispose of in the proper way.

Take a walk out of Stratford race course the walk way to town the bags are there in various places, I think it is like that in a lot of places in the UK.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I know a lot of very decent dog owners who always clean up after their dog and are extremely sensitive to any suggestion that they don't.

These same people let their dogs off their leads to go running 1/2 a mile away in woods etc.

How can they possibly know their dogs have crapped, let alone where?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
One of the biggest problems is a lot of people pick their dog muck up put it in a bag and then leave it on the floor or hang it on the fence etc , the fishing dog leads are are a b****y nuisance and should be banned.

We have a g.s.d and clean up every time and dispose of in the proper way.

Take a walk out of Stratford race course the walk way to town the bags are there in various places, I think it is like that in a lot of places in the UK.
You're right - we live in an area with a country lane - we have someone who drives her car with the dog on a lead out of the window, walking it, how does she scoop the poop? She doesn't.
Then we have the professional dog walkers in vans all liveried up, they collect your dog and take it fir a walk. Yet they don't. They collect your dog, stick it in the back of the van, drive to the country lane, open the door, let the dog crap and then drive off.
Then there's the weekend walking warriors who bag it and hang it on a tree. When you collar them (get it? Collar!) they say they're on a walk and will collect it off the tree on their return leg. But never do.
Council sign says £75 fine for not clearing up.
Do you know how difficult it is for the council to prosecute?
They need film footage and rock solid evidence - unfortunately they won't accept the soft steaming hard evidence as their rock solid evidence.
If I went and crapped on their front lawn they'd be pissed off so why do we have to tolerate their pets crap?
As you'll notice, this topic boils my piss!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Exactly the same thing last year
kids couldn't play in the top field directly behind us because of the dog mess, and yes, the owner I challenged was parked in the 'fun' area
I know he is the exception but......
his reason , didn't see the dog do it, despite been on a long leado_O
oops

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Another crap thread!
Spud

Reactions: f6c

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Its really annoying, that dog owners don't pick up their dogs mess, but saying that when we were in Venice recently the place stank of urine, apparently an we seen it with our own eyes men urinating in the side streets in Venice (African street traders) - when there's toilets right nearby, when we went a stroll into the town of Iseo from camping Iseo as soon as we got through the barrier onto the road dog crap all along the road, that looked like some poor sod had already stepped in it - friggin disgusting !

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm a semi rebellious dog owner, I will always pick up after my dog in a public place, footpath, playing fields( although I won't take my dog onto playing fields until after he has done his business elsewhere) etc.

However if I'm out in the sticks and he goes off into the bushes or hedge row, then no I don't go delving around looking for it, the countryside if full of animal waste from cows, horses to foxes, deer and badger, nobody picks this up so I'm not going to pick up a bit of dog poo, if I'm on a foot path or suchlike then I will pick up.

Part of me does think why should I pick up after my dog when it's considered ok for other people's cats to shit wherever they like( usually other people gardens) with impunity, and apparently it ok for horses to shit all over the road with out anyone batting an eyelid.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
we were marshalls at Lincoln and one morning shouted at two people walking their dogs to the top field to put them on a lead but they too no notice this couple were exhibitors nothing to do with funsters. they also came everyday although there was other places they could go.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I know a lot of very decent dog owners who always clean up after their dog and are extremely sensitive to any suggestion that they don't.

These same people let their dogs off their leads to go running 1/2 a mile away in woods etc.

How can they possibly know their dogs have crapped, let alone where?

Chris 1 would place myself in this. picking Up after your dog in public places yes. IN woods andfields If It IS Out of the way It IS far better left to nature. My local woods Delamere forrest has a Stick and Flick policy In place . The damage done to the Enviro ment is far worse by using bags . This Is Me BTW Who IS renowned for challenging people on the street who I see not picking up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Part of me does think why should I pick up after my dog when it's considered ok for other people's cats to shit wherever they like( usually other people gardens) with impunity, and apparently it ok for horses to shit all over the road with out anyone batting an eyelid.
It's the standard for cats and horses that is in error, not that for dogs :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
we were marshalls at Lincoln and one morning shouted at two people walking their dogs to the top field to put them on a lead but they too no notice this couple were exhibitors nothing to do with funsters. they also came everyday although there was other places they could go.

Yes I saw these guys as well as plenty of others walk though our area to the bottom field everyday.
------------​
We never picked up after our dog at home. A creature of habit he dumped in the same corner of a field twice a day, you might expect this loo area to be awful, but you could find absolutely no trace of excrement, it just disappears, broken down by rain slugs beetles?? Therefore, where there is absolutely no chance of human contact with the faeces leaving nature to deal with it is perfectly acceptable.

In public areas, anyone who doesn't pick up, or even worse, picks up and then dumps the full sack, needs to be shat upon from a great height.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi Just been to the Lincoln Motorhome Show with the Funsters last weekend. Had a great weekend at the show but it was a shame about the dog fouling. Several people took their dogs for a walk at the top field where we were pitched and did not attempt to clean up after their dogs. There were a lot of responsible people who did clean up. It doesn't leave a good impression for anyone else wanting to use the field after us.
What did they say when you asked them to clear up after their dog ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We 'suffer' like most others seem to from the tree ornaments, a truly disgusting habit

No idea why it started but do wonder if some smart arse worked out he has picked it up so has complied with the local rules, nothing actually tells him what to do with it once 'picked up'

We have miles of local walks created by the redundant mining areas, but the poo bins are very scarce, they have only been placed where a van can get to them, kind of makes sense, but can mean carrying a poo bag for a couple of miles, can see why some don't want to do that

I also chatted to our dog warden who does give out tickets in these reserve areas, his brief does not allow him to differentiate between poo on the path or 30' off in the long grass, where no one will ever walk, (unless forced to go looking for dog poo maybe) there really is a massive difference between the two

I am with others who leave it if way off the walking areas, I really cant accept those who have to stop while their dogs on a lead right next them have a dump on a path and then walk on :mad:

In defence of the bag it and pick it up later, quite a few do that on our walking patch to save carrying them miles, I have seen people pick up later (and seen some 'forget') (y)

It might be simpler to resolve the immigrant issues than dog poo pick up :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What did they say when you asked them to clear up after their dog ?

They are not forced to have asked, I am not a small build and have in the past challenged dog owners, but have come across near violent reaction, certainly serious verbal assault, not worth the hassle

I now pick it up and tell them I will do it for them, probably will never change their attitude, they probably see me as the idiot (y)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
There is no excuse for not clearing up after your dog! You take it out for a walk and when you pick up the lead you pick up a couple of bags .

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
While it is all well and good that dog owners 'pick up' their dogs deposits, why do dog owners allow their dogs to drop their loads in well walked areas in the first place.
I am referring to the couple who, at the Lincoln show, walked 20 yards from their motorhome, allowed their dog to dump in front of ours, picked up the deposit, then walked on. As good as these bags may be, they will never get the complete dump from the grass, leaving smears of poo for the unsuspecting to tread into their shoes and transfer it god knows where.
All I ask is that when you are in an area such as a camping field, only allow your dog to dump at the perimeter where footfall is lower.

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
While it is all well and good that dog owners 'pick up' their dogs deposits, why do dog owners allow their dogs to drop their loads in well walked areas in the first place.
I am referring to the couple who, at the Lincoln show, walked 20 yards from their motorhome, allowed their dog to dump in front of ours, picked up the deposit, then walked on. As good as these bags may be, they will never get the complete dump from the grass, leaving smears of poo for the unsuspecting to tread into their shoes and transfer it god knows where.
All I ask is that when you are in an area such as a camping field, only allow your dog to dump at the perimeter where footfall is lower.

I think its a smell thing!!

My dog will not go when on the lead unless he is desperate but will run off and find somewhere (usually in a hedge line or in bushes to do it) but he will circle looking for the right place to deposit his stuff. I suspect the fact that dogs must be kept on a lead at all times is the culprit here as the dog will eventually have to go and if it is tied to the owner then its bound to be in an area that is used by people walking. Also my dog is a creature of habit (I assume others are too!) and will use the same places repeatedly, so once he has marked an area then thats where it goes!!

I appreciate that non dog owners don't like dogs shi**ing anywhere near them and I fully accept that. Personally though, I would always try to find somewhere to stay that allows dogs to be ran off the lead (in some area not accessed by non doggy people) as my mutt would go stir crazy if not allowed to run off and smell stuff and pee on every available tree etc etc

Then again, my dog is a rather large working Lab and needs to be exercised. Where as my parents dog is more the size of a rat and doesn't need to go anywhere tbh!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This picking up lark is one of the reasons I don't have a dog.
I have a weak stomach and just the thought of picking up a steaming load has me retching:D

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have just read this thread to my Border Collie (Jaffa)
He is now holding his head in shame!
Any one know what size cork I need for a Collie?:)
Geo
No excuses Chris even you are catered for

Attachments

• 61412.jpg
    61412.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 14

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.