Dog dies on Ferry (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You just have to listen to most Pugs breathing to know that they struggle to breathe normally.
Personally I think that the KC has a lot to answer for. And lets face it without an autopsy the dog could have died from anything, however its more likely that it was asphyxiation due to its genetic makeup.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've often thought that if the RSPCA really cared about animala as much as they say they do, they could have instigated proceedings against the Kennel Club for encouraging and or causing cruelty to dogs. Fat chance though.

Malcolm

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've often thought that if the RSPCA really cared about animala as much as they say they do, they could have instigated proceedings against the Kennel Club for encouraging and or causing cruelty to dogs. Fat chance though.

Malcolm

A couple of points.

1. The RSCPA is not an animal charity any more. They don't give a stuff about animal welfare. All they are interested in is raising money to further their political aims.

2. The Kennel Club do not set breed standards. That is down to the individual Breed Associations. The KC is just an umbrella organisation and believe me they keep the BAs reigned in as much as they can. Without the KC the individual BAs would just do their own thing and the breeds with issues would be in far far worse shape. Some of the BAs are bolshy to the point of aggressiveness as evidenced by the way the GSD BA behaved during the uproar about that GSD at Crufts a couple of years ago. BAs threaten to withdraw from the KC and go their own way all the time. The KC do what they can to stop this from happening because even the small amount of control they have is better than the BAs and breeders being free to do whatever they like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I didn't realise that about the Kennel Club. I'm not sure I would agree that a little control was better than none though. I would have thought that expelling the GSD BA just before Crufts and publicising it to the best of their ability, together with a recommendation to the public not to buy from certain breeders would be much, much more effective. But then again, the public that buy deformed dogs are if anything more to blame than breeders.
My own personal view is there should be a substantial tax on both selling by and buying from professional breeders. There's plenty of dogs in rescue centres needing good homes.

Malcolm

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't realise that about the Kennel Club. I'm not sure I would agree that a little control was better than none though. I would have thought that expelling the GSD BA just before Crufts and publicising it to the best of their ability, together with a recommendation to the public not to buy from certain breeders would be much, much more effective. But then again, the public that buy deformed dogs are if anything more to blame than breeders.
My own personal view is there should be a substantial tax on both selling by and buying from professional breeders. There's plenty of dogs in rescue centres needing good homes.

Malcolm

It wasn't them threatening to expel the GSD BA. It was the GSD BA threatening to walk away after Crufts and the fuss made about the particular dog. They (the BAs) think nobody has any right to dare question how they breed dogs and if the KC wanted to interfere with them they would go and do their own thing with no oversight at all. The publicity was terrible as it was but it doesn't put people off.

I completely agree that the people who buy the dogs are equally to blame but that problem has always been there in the showing world. If you want a dog to show it has to meet the breed standard so you have no choice to to get it from one of the breeders who are producing dogs that meet the standard. If you aren't interested in showing there are plenty of breeders who are producing healthy dogs (with some breed exceptions). My dogs are both pedigree and neither meet their respective standards because they are both just under the lower weight range amongst other things. They are working dogs though so it doesn't matter in the slightest. They are also perfectly healthy.

There is already the recommendation from the KC that if you want a pedigree dog that you only go to a breeder that is part of the KC Assured Breeder scheme. Under this scheme breeders have to adhere to a lot of dog welfare requirements that the BAs don't like and don't support. Personally I'd be extremely wary of any breeder that wasn't part of the scheme.

The rescue v pedigree argument is a completely different issue and one I won't get into here.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
The first time I was on a ferry from Trieste to Igouminitsa in Greece I was surprised to see dogs around. They are allowed to stay with their owners and there are special cabins where dogs are allowed. If non available there are kennels. There is even a part of the deck where they can be walked with a fake tree for them. OK the crossing is longer, but it works fine.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The first time I was on a ferry from Trieste to Igouminitsa in Greece I was surprised to see dogs around. They are allowed to stay with their owners and there are special cabins where dogs are allowed. If non available there are kennels. There is even a part of the deck where they can be walked with a fake tree for them. OK the crossing is longer, but it works fine.

In other European countries common sense is applied.

It's the idiotic attitudes of the companies that run the channel crossings that is the problem.

There are pet friendly cabins on the longer crossings but there are very few of them, you can only have one pet per cabin and they're hideously expensive. I looked at it once just out of interest and to get the motorhome, three of us and two dogs on (I can't remember if it was Portsmouth - Santander or Plymouth - Bilboa) for a return crossing in October/November it would have cost just shy of £2k. I'm sure there are people daft enough to pay that much but I'll never be one of them.

For the short haul crossings if you had the option to stay with your dogs either in your vehicle or in the kennel it perhaps wouldn't be so bad but you can't even go and check on them without "special permission" Absolutely absurd.

That's just one of the many reasons why the tunnel is a no brainer for us. I wouldn't go on a cross channel ferry if it was free.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
My Flatcoated retriever has traveled in a kennel on Brittany ferries for 5years now. The first year she used her nose to lift the lock and was the meet and greet dog that we heard people talking about and was, unbeknownst to us was our Ebony, until the tannoy asked us to go to the main desk. Where the chief steward had Ebony, it was all treated with amusement and caring. She now has a padlock on her kennel door All dogs are different and cope with things differently.
I no longer breed dogs but I have been a kennel club recognised breeder of golden and flatcoated retrievers since 1980 and to get one of my puppies you had to pass a very strict criteria.
Those days are over now but the kennel club do their best.

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
The most important thing to remember is that dogs main cooling is derived from air passage in their mouth unlike us who cool through the skin via evaporation.
But have to agree with @NickNic use the tunnel.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My little furry friend has done the Cadiz to here ferry 9 times. He loves it in his huge kennel on the boat.

He even sunbathes each day on his favourite sunbed by the pool. Today was 34c and he was still lying there LOL

Dogs all over the world cope with heat and cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back