Dog Cooling Coat - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I can only say after fitting the coat Charlie stopped panting after about 5 or 10 minutes. Dogs react to the ambient temperature so when that cools because of the coat around their body they feel cooler.
This concerns me, whilst the dog my react, feeling cooler, stopping panting is no proof that the dogs core temperature is going down.
I would rather put my trust in the dogs coat doing it’s job. Water spayed on the dog and evaporation.
No additional layers.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This concerns me, whilst the dog my react, feeling cooler, stopping panting is no proof that the dogs core temperature is going down.
I would rather put my trust in the dogs coat doing it’s job. Water spayed on the dog and evaporation.
No additional layers.
I can only go by the evidence, Charlie stopped panting yesterday, looked much happier and went to sleep. The physics is straightforward, the evaporating water extracts heat. Wetting the dog does the same thing but the coat is convenient. :)

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Also used by the u.s.emergency services as stated on one of their web pages

The dog cooling vest provided by PPA is a professional grade cooling vest that is designed for working dogs (police, military, search and rescue, etc.) or any professional working K9 that is exposed to temperatures or conditions that would inhibit the K9’s work or safety. The vest provides hours of cooling comfort and heat stress prevention

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure they work to a degree (pun intended) but I'd worry about it drying out a little and having a negative effect. That said, I know that they are generally just not necessary. Dogs acclimatise quickly. I worked with dogs in Hong Kong for a number of years. Heat and humidity don't get much higher than there. Dogs fly in from the UK and they very quickly coped with the heat. Rest and shade during the hottest times of the day, Keep them well groomed, plenty of cool water and wet their heads when its hottest.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I recall once on holiday in heatwave Turkey, in small stuffy studio room, soaking the top sheet in the shower, wringing it out & going to sleep under it... very effective. Same principle presumably.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Dogs don’t sweat.
...which is why the cooling coats work, artificial sweating... their body heat, evaporates the water in the coat, cooling it, the dog is thus in a cooler personal environment... like an air conditioned kennel.

No-one thinks it odd to leave a fan on to cool their dog...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back