LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I showed your post to the bitch and she reckons that she fits the bill perfectly.:thumb:

She is just so shallow and lacking in any form of modesty or loyalty.:lipstick:

.... and this is the cutie, Dave, that he refers to ..

Attachments

• cococute2.jpg
    cococute2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 33

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Cockapoo does all the above but smaller would be my choice of dog. :thumb:

Lovely dogs.:thumb:

We have a Cockapoo breeder near us. There is a big controversy on a few doggy forums as to the 'pedigree' of her pedigrees and quotes that she is a farm rather than a breeder. Her bitches abused and having far too many litters etc.

Hope that's not so, but when a breed gets popular the farms spring up:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

[HI]Any suggestions?[/HI]

[HI]Ask the permission of Mrs Shiftzz ???[/HI]

STOP PRESS

I was passing through Leicestershire today and saw this, some leftie that's cashed in his Royal Mail shares.

Attachments

• Hobo%20dog--article_image.jpg
    Hobo%20dog--article_image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 41

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Border collie of course.Very intelligent and affectionate, everybody's friend. Moults like mad all year round of course and loves water/mud, but we wouldn't swap her for the world.
Loves travel and will travel happily all day (with just a pee stop or two). The passport thingy is no problem, especially if you're travelling for a while (bit awkward for a weekend)

You can take them to the vets at home before you travel as long as you come back into the country between 1 and 5 days after they have had their worming tablet. We found this out a few weeks ago when we went away for a weekend.
Huge difference in prices too, out vet charged us £18 for the two dogs!

Allan

Last edited:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Dave,

As you can see in all the answers: everybody loves the breed they have chosen :thumb:
We always have had long haired German Shepards, we love them but that is our choice.:Smile:

Before getting a dog you have to realize some simple things
Dogs are like children, they need attention, education and socializing​
The only thing different is children grow up and dogs remain children their whole live :ROFLMAO:

We always started with puppy's, it gives you the nuisance of house-training but full control over education (starting with puppy training and so on) and socializing (busy places, bus, metro and so on)

When you prefer taking a rescue dog, make sure you go to a place where they can fill you in about all the habits of the dog.

When you decide for a special breed, be aware that the breed specific nature will not be a 100% match with your dog. It just means that breed is trained more easy on the mentioned specifics

Take your time, invest in looking for the breed specific things you like, and train it accordingly

Above all, it will cost you a lot of time in its whole lifespan. The reward is priceless though :thumb:

Paul and Ineke

P.S Be aware of inbreed

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Rescue all the way - so many abandoned, so many to choose from, especially if you're not focussed on any particular breed...
Two minutes browsing my local rescue centre found this chap...
Link Removed
potentially fits the bill

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Suitable dog

::bigsmile:
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

Any suggestions?

We have a border collie, lots of character, loves water, often scruffy but scrubs up well, loves getting out and about in our motorhome. Seems to tick all of your boxes. About the chill out, she can be demanding especially when she thinks she's due a walk. A very loyal companion to boot.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I admit I am very biased, but my three staffies are true ambassadors for the breed. they travel well and really suit the motorhome lifestyle. very little moulting, compact but without the "little dog" attitude. nothing to prove, loyal and excellent around other dogs and livestock

if you're bothered about the breedist attitudes and the unwarranted bad name earned with the bullsh!t attitudes on housing estates, go for a staffie cross. legally its just a mut and not breaching the rules if not muzzled.

I hate to see a good dog wearing a muzzle, but it wont stop a staffie tongue from licking people.

at the end of the day though, dog breed choice is something that takes proper research. ask yourself what you want from a dog and pick a breed that suits you. people joke that dogs look like their owners, but its something psychological that they see beauty in familiar features. A staffie would fit with your projected persona online. strong willed, confident and at the same time loving and loyal.:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358BxgGv7ac"]The FUNNIEST Dog Video EVER!!!!!!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EXWUuOi8U"]Funny Dog Going On Vaction Video - SuperDog - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hmmmmm !!

Why go for a pedigree? inbreeding causes all sorts of problems look at the aristocracy.

We've got a [HI]labradoodle[/HI] not because they'e fashionable but our son was allergic to the rescue dog we were going to have. He was secondhand with a low mileage and is great, friendly but a bit daft. He even won best in show (scruffiest dog award)

David

For labradoodle.........read mongrel !!!!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Either the dog pictured below, with matching beard - or get a 'proper' dog - a Border Collie.

:france::france::france:

Attachments

• Ugly dog 1.jpg
    Ugly dog 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 30

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have only known two Border Collies to be friendly, some are downright agressive, I know they have their fan club, but can only speak from what I have seen over 40 years, that is the last breed as well as Staffies that I would have. If you want a dog to take in the MH going to different places here and abroad you need one that is welcomed, not fazed by humans or other dogs, otherwise it will be a sad situation if you are limited where you can go, a dog should be a pleasure, not a liability. JMO .

Margaret

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Puppy Adoption - Why Buy When You Can Rescue A Pup‎

dogstrust.org.uk/Dogs_You_Can_Trust‎
Puppies Looking For Loving Homes
Doggy Gallery - Photos & Profiles - Find Your Nearest Rehoming Centre

Highway Farm, Harefield, Uxbridge‎ - 01895 453930

Nearest one to you
Address and Info:

Dogs Trust Rehoming Centre, Kenilworth
Honiley
Kenilworth
Warks.
CV8 1NP
Open: 12:00 - 16:00
Late opening: Wednesday 12:00 - 19:30
Closed: Friday
Tel: 01926 484 398
View Centre Details

Try rescuing a bull terrier
it has a similar temperament to yourself
looks not that effeminate
and has attitude which should suit you
medium size
great dogs though:winky: or a Lakeland terrier ?

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
For labradoodle.........read mongrel !!!!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I don't mind the labradoodles too much as they were deliberately cross-bred for a reason. (Hypoallergenic Assistance/Guide Dog)

But ther rest are definitely all mongrels that are being sold for pedigree money to people that are just crazy to go for it.

That said, being a new 'breed' the labradoodles have quite a long ailment list you should consider first. It is to be expected with a new breed, but you need to be aware.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
On the park today we met two Labradoodles, one sandy and the other black, spoke to the owner, they have the poodle coat, nonshedding, but what was good they had the Labrador personality, great dogs, friendly loved other dogs were obedient.I could find out te breeder if required.

Margaret

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Kennel Club annual photo competition winner, now thats one ugly dog

Attachments

• DPOTY 2013 MBF Roger Sjolstad 18827 WINNER & OVERALL[1].jpg
    DPOTY 2013 MBF Roger Sjolstad 18827 WINNER & OVERALL[1].jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

dizzygypsy

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
suitable dogs

We have just the dog but then everyone thinks their dog is the best. Ours came from Many Tears Animal Rescue. You can look on line and select any dog and if you don't want a show dog, I am sure there would be one just right for you.
dizzygypsy

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Mr shiffty/ dave

Before you undertake 10-17 years baby minding

You need to question how this will impact

Your future life

I know some will say never hindered us

But consider what you want from a dog

Then consider the restrictions it puts on you

And see if you still [STRIKE][HI]need[/HI][/STRIKE] or want a companion to look after best part of the day and night

Then there is traveling itself

Our two jack Russell cross ( buster and tuppence from same litter) dog& bitch

Loved the ride buster liked the different walks Tuppence didn't want to leave the van .

But they didn't bark on site well except at one site owner that walked to close to hab door
both on harnesses and the site owner apologised saying he didn't think.

At home they ranted incessantly by the back fence

Whenever any one walks past .

I have never taken a dog out of the uk so couldn't advise

But I believe the vets become a good friend .

Myself for a hardy dog a jr terrier is hard to beat

Sharp as a tack if anyone is lurking

Although our currant dog buddy sht tzu/ chiwauwauwau cross

Is sharp also but is quiet when we travel .

Also beware breakdown vehicles consider them as livestock

So they travel in the m/home if you need recovery

I trust you will find the dog that suits
And I wish you the best of luck in your search
Our little fella came via preloved advert for rehoming
He was 7 mnths old been with us since June 28

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Sorry don`t agree with the last post, we have had 6 rescues, all were brilliant except the last one, if he had been the first wouldn`t have had any more rescues, so now will only take on puppies, of a certain breed, unless a rescue came along that we knew the history of. We wouldn`t part with him as we took him on,our responsibility, if only we had known. hind site is a marvellous thing.

Dave, hope you find your forever friend soon, when you do, you may find that you wish you had, had one earlier.Good luck.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We kept rescue greyhounds from the retired greyhound trust for 11 years. Lovely gentle dogs. Usually had 3 on the go at any one time.
Bit big for travelling or getting settled in the pub bar though.
We now have a 3 year old Whippet called Dave. Had him from a 10 week old & he's my constant companion.
Smashing little chap. It's funny how you fall for a specific dog type,we just love Hounds:thumb:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Well after reading the posts we all like a pretty mixed bunch and so it should be ,we have our two yorkshire terriers ,our 3rd pair over 40yrs ,never had any yappers ,two brothers who keep each other company when the boss goes shopping and leaves them at home .Both love to travel in the van and don't take up too much room,keep us fit doing plenty of walks.both easy on the furniture and we don't have to open the door to let them out they use the cat flap lol. The only dog not keen on is the greyhound but most have a hard life so it is the only dog charity we support these days and we are delighted to do so.When we slip out for a meal we take the dogs, we have never had a problem in France and this last year not being turned away in this country ,they just sit under the table no problem,But we all know the best dog is your dog.Enjoy.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well after reading the posts we all like a pretty mixed bunch and so it should be ,we have our two yorkshire terriers ,our 3rd pair over 40yrs ,never had any yappers ,two brothers who keep each other company when the boss goes shopping and leaves them at home .Both love to travel in the van and don't take up too much room,keep us fit doing plenty of walks.both easy on the furniture and we don't have to open the door to let them out they use the cat flap lol. The only dog not keen on is the greyhound but most have a hard life so it is the only dog charity we support these days and we are delighted to do so.When we slip out for a meal we take the dogs, we have never had a problem in France and this last year not being turned away in this country ,they just sit under the table no problem,But we all know the best dog is your dog. Enjoy.
Now aint that a fact.
Personally I would go for a working bred English Springer Spaniel, medium sized, lively, intelligent, biddable, affectionate and quiet, mostly good travellers, but then I am biased.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mr shiffty/ dave

Before you undertake 10-17 years baby minding

You need to question how this will impact

Your future life

I know some will say never hindered us

But consider what you want from a dog

Then consider the restrictions it puts on you

And see if you still [STRIKE][HI]need[/HI][/STRIKE] or want a companion to look after best part of the day and night

But I believe the vets become a good friend .

Also beware breakdown vehicles consider them as livestock

So they travel in the m/home if you need recovery

I trust you will find the dog that suits

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Some good advice above, when taking on a dog it comes with responsibility and cost, vets are expensive as all dog owners know, it can come with heartache when things go wrong, it can come with inconvenience and also embarrassment. But it can bring joy and unconditional love and companionship, a dog is NOT something that can be ignored when you are not feeling up to it, 365 days a year it will want attention of one sort or another, it will want feeding, walking, grooming, cleaning up after it, it will want a bit of special TLC when IT is feeling unwell, etc. not something to be taken on lightly. You have started on your quest for a dog in the best way, asking the advice of others in this forum, to date you have had 11 pages of replies, brilliant stuff, best of luck in your search, hope you find one suitable for your needs.
Let us all know when you have chosen, we can then tell you what an awful mistake you have made:Eeek:.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
get a Cockapoo, full of character, love traveling, swimming, running and kisses and cuddles....but lots of brushing ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back