Does this look like damp to you? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We went to look at a Nuevo today. Nice condition, only 24,000 miles on a 54 plate but at a dealership that I swore I would never buy from again.

The roof lining was covered from front to back with grey mould spots and there was a stain above the habitation door.

The cocky salesman fetched the damp meter and assured us it was perfectly dry and that the marks would come off with a bit of a valet. (Surely a dealer worth its salt would do that BEFORE putting the van on its forecourt!)

What do you think?
IMG_20171124_114847.jpg
IMG_20171124_114842.jpg
IMG_20171124_114825.jpg

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
He is probably right about it cleaning up ok and it may not be damp, but I would stay away I think for the exact reasons you mention Janine, if he can’t be bothered now what chance have you got after you’ve bought it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Could be poor ventilation causing steam to condense on the ceiling, as happens in parts of our bathroom at home, but why risk it?

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Janine That looks like Black Mold and it can be very difficult to eliminate although cleaning may hide it for a while. Please be aware black mould produces mycotoxins which are harmful. Among the many symptoms the most common black mould health problems are:

1. Nausea

2. Breathing problems

3. Skin irritation

4. Damage to internal organs

5. Tiredness

6. Even death (okay, this would be a very extreme case, but it has happened).

In areas of high moisture it will have a moist brown/black appearance but in areas where the moisture source has dried up it can be black and powdery in appearance.

I would not go near that van.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The spores spread all over the place. You cannot get rid of them and they will keep coming back. Some say you can wash the effected area with Milton but you will never get all of it and the slightest hint of damp and it will be back.

As others have said .. WALK AWAY ...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is part of the same dealership that sold me a cigarette-smoke-infested car and assured me it would be fine after a bit of valet.

And you are going to fall for it again !

If you need to ask on here you know in your heart you are on a loser.

There are a lot of vans out their, keep looking.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
health problems are:

1. Nausea

2. Breathing problems

3. Skin irritation

4. Damage to internal organs

5. Tiredness

6. Even death (okay, this would be a very extreme case, but it has happened).

Are you sure you are not confusing this with a FUN meet ? Chester isn't far off !

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The mould looks grim and I would walk away because it comes back.

Not so sure about the light yellow. It might be excess glue from the other side of the roof lining. Still a bit unsightly.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We had a compass caravan that developed something similar. The really strange thing was that we went to a dealer looking at new ones & when we said what we had he asked if it had developed the blue staining on the ceiling - said it was a reaction of the glue that had been used.

It wasn't damp but there was no way we could shift it, we tried everything.

I'd walk away though - there are lots of Nuevos around.

Good luck.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As I have never had a motorhome with a damp issue, especially in the roof, I am unable to say with certainty what the cause of the staining is, unlike the many experts on here who can tell from a picture what the cause is! Sounds to me the dealer is confident it's not damp and If you really like the motorhome you could ask him to provide an independant habitation report confirming this. However, I would go further and ask him to provide you with a warranty against damp and any hidden damage in this area caused by damp, for at least 3 months after the sale. If he refuses, it's an indication that he may have something to hide. It is possible there has been damp in the past which has been corrected. It could still be a bargin ?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Try an track down the previous owner and ask them.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
It certainly looks like it has or has had a problem with damp. If you bought it and it transpired that was the case you would have a difficult job post purchase to resolve the issue. As you have taken the time to ask opinions from other people it shows you have some doubts therefore the best advise is not to purchase that van and find something similar at another dealer who maybe has a salesman you feel more comfortable with.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sadly I have not had the pleasure of attending a Fun meet. You could say I'm a virgin. I will however, accept your word that such meets are similarly toxic :LOL:.

but quite bizarrely I was convinced we met you at the halloween meet this time last year, I even tagged you in a photo or 2

pretty much confirming the rumours about meets :LOL:

it doesn't help when you divers simply add a county to your names, how was I to know more then one of you did that :):):)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
but quite bizarrely I was convinced we met you at the halloween meet this time last year, I even tagged you in a photo or 2

pretty much confirming the rumours about meets :LOL:

it doesn't help when you divers simply add a county to your names, how was I to know more then one of you did that :):):)

We have definitely not been to to any meets - sadly - sorry to disappoint. If there is another Dorset Diver I can assure you he or she is an impostor. I am the original :D if not the one and only :(.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Walk away with big steps! 24k in 13 years means it has been standing around for looooonnnngggg spells going rusty and getting musty. The spots on the roof lining are probably a result of condensation but could be a sign of worse problems. There are plenty of vans out there to choose from.

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any seller, be it private or a dealership, will valet and check over any and all vehicles before offering for sale. if that is the result after professional products, its been leaking long enough to do serious damage

forget the van and the dealership

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
any seller, be it private or a dealership, will valet and check over any and all vehicles before offering for sale. if that is the result after professional products, its been leaking long enough to do serious damage

forget the van and the dealership

Not the case in the motorhome world I'm afraid, most dealers will not clean any van before display because the general public who visit are tramps and will quickly render the cleaning futile. Generally they put them on display in "as received" condition and will only clean and rectify problems once they have a buyer interested.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back