Does this help when looking to refill your Gas Bottles (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I Found a Calor Gas site near Southdowns that has a pump that can be used to refill the MoHo's Gas bottles, are Calor Gas sites such as these an alternative to AutoGas? I am assuming there will be other sites like this up and down the country

This is the Site:

Plot 3D, Voyager Park North, Portfield Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5FN​

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 07.52.09.png

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I guess they are basically the same as the Autogas sites just an alternative. It would be interesting to see how much they charge compared to autogas as calor have a history of being expensive.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Whilst welcoming this development but at the same time being a habitual cynic, I wonder why Calor Gas would provide a competitive service that fundamentally undermines their monopoly on replacement bottles.
Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I had 2/3 of a bottle to fill, can’t remember the exact price but I know it was cheap as I felt a little embarrassed to pay by card. I am assuming these full points are on industrial estates.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Whilst welcoming this development but at the same time being a habitual cynic, I wonder why Calor Gas would provide a competitive service that fundamentally undermines their monopoly on replacement bottles.
Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
I think/hope that Calor have realised that they were losing sales to those of us with refillable systems, rather than undermining their replacement cylinder service.
The price will interest me Calor are not renowned for being cheap.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I hope so too.
Other than the die-hard motorhomers - “such as what we is” - who fully recognise the benefit of having permanent tanks aboard, others will find the lack of self fill-up facilities too frustrating to go down that route.

I must admit that if I were on the Calor board, I would not be too quick to provide this type of service and adapt in the future if necessary.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Looking at the Street View I'm sure this is not for public use: there are no road guidance markings. It could either be a diesel or lpg station for their own delivery vehicles. The white piping appears to go into the ground before reaching the station and could possibly be a conduit for its power supply. On my screen I cannot make out the lettering on the station.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If anyone needs gas whilst passing junction
1 or 27 of the M60. There is a gas filling station here. Bit tight for larger motorhomes though I managed to get our 8m + Frankia in.

56p litre

There is also a Tesco extra at the Same Junction. With filling station and plenty of parking.

Reddish Vale country park across the road from Tesco for dog walking

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We always filled at Bury St Edmunds or Norwich Calor depots years ago, they only charge the lower rate for cooking, that soon changed and normal vat was charged, then the manager the same one for both depots said it's not for cooking, only gas driven vehicle's. 🤔 Bob.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I tried the Norwich Calor site a few years ago and they refused to let me fill gaslow bottles. I often use the Flo Gas depot near Potter Heigham Norfolk

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking at the Street View I'm sure this is not for public use: there are no road guidance markings. It could either be a diesel or lpg station for their own delivery vehicles. The white piping appears to go into the ground before reaching the station and could possibly be a conduit for its power supply. On my screen I cannot make out the lettering on the station.
It's on Mylpg and confirmed 3 months ago price 0.72.
On Filllpg listed as temporarily unavailable, maybe it's closed due to lockdown.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our local Calor outlet has removed it's forecourt refill facility but they refused to fill motorhomes anyway, that's why I get my workshp bottles from Flogas now (cheaper too).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our local Calor agent refuses to allow gas bottles to be refilled although they do allow LPG-powered vehicles.

We also have a largish builders supply depot who are usually happy to accomodate - will even let you have it at the lower VAT rate too! But it's no cheaper than the garage we use.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
If anyone needs gas whilst passing junction
1 or 27 of the M60. There is a gas filling station here. Bit tight for larger motorhomes though I managed to get our 8m + Frankia in.

56p litre

There is also a Tesco extra at the Same Junction. With filling station and plenty of parking.

Reddish Vale country park across the road from Tesco for dog walking
Do they allow you to refill safefill bottles cos I am thinking of getting some and it's only 10/15 minutes up the road which would be handy .

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Used the Portsmouth calor depot before without issue, si ilar to the Telford depot.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Do they allow you to refill safefill bottles cos I am thinking of getting some and it's only 10/15 minutes up the road which would be handy .
Yes. I always take my Safefill bottle there to refill it. I usually drive down in the car with the bottle strapped to the passenger seat, then just lift it out to refill it. Saves any parking issues. The attendant (usually a woman) will help you if you're stuck for how to use the machine. Always a good price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back