Does the base vehicle really matter? (1 Viewer)

escapecommittee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
we are contemplating buying a motor home. We have looked at many layouts, been to two shows and have narrowed the field down to a Chausson 610. It seems to have the right accommodation, storage and the drop down bed looks better than making up a bed every night. This model is offered with a Fiat base or a Ford base. I drive a Ford Kuga, and the Ford cab in the motor home is very close to the layout in the Kuga. But....it cannot be by chance that 80 % of motor homes are based on Fiat. My only experience of Fiats is hiring cars which appear tinny and not well put together. So can someone guide me as to what difference the base vehicle makes. Also are there other models that come close to the 610? Appreciate the benefits of someone's experience. Thanks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Fiat Ducato seems a popular choice because it was the right size. There are Transit based MHs but generally only panel van conversions. The Fiat Daily is also a base for larger MHs.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If you like the 610 have you looked at a 620... A little larger with a nice garage... available on the Fiat or Ford base... think the Fiat is a couple thou more expensive...
Andy

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
I can only say that I have a Fiat Ducato base and have had no problems at all .You will get loads of People coming on saying "this ones better than that one and vice versa" ,to be honest , in my opinion theirs no major difference .They are all similar and it is no big deal . Stand back and wait for all the " experts " coming on to share their expertise .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
About 70% of all European motorhomes on the road today are Fiat based, that is literally millions of both camper vans and motorhomes..

The most important things to consider when deciding on a van are

Layout and Payload...

not the base vehicle ..

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We chose our Chausson on a Ford chassis as on Mk7 there was the option of a 4th bed as bit more space than Fiat version plus cheaper for parts & servicing :)

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The transit is a narrower wheelbase than the fiat which may affect handling -Engine wise Fiat make there own and transit pug and Citroen all share same engine although each has it's own slight modifications -All variations are very car like-nice to drive --PVC wise the transit is some 5 ins narrower than the fiat etc and about 8 ins narrower at the top -makes a big difference to room inside
terry

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our Chausson is on a Fiat base. We had a bit of an issue at a service (thread on one of the engine retaining nuts on a support bracket was stripped and we had to wait three days for a new bracket) - not sure if the service agent was at fault or Fiat but a letter to Fiat resulted in the following service being done FOC. Customer service at Fiat was first class.

I think the Ford based Chaussons are a smidge longer than the Fiat? Would that make ferries a bit more expensive????

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Rebel against the evil Fiat motorhome base vehicle monopoly!
The new transit comes with a wide rear track motorhome chassis and great visibility from the new cab design.
Get the Transit, not a hopelessly facelifted regurgitation of a 10 year old design!:)

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
Our Chausson is on the mk8 Ford 155 engine and is just like a car to drive and have had no issues in our first year of ownership ,try the swivel seats on the fiat compared to the Ford as our friends have a fiat based bessacar and I find their Seats easier operated than in our Ford but thats maybe down to layout , personally I wouldn't pay the extra for a Fiat

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when it comes to panel van conversion the fiat is galvanised up to window height im not sure the ford is and i couldnt be sure about chasis cabs

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Apart from the fiddly seat swivels I love our Mk8 Transit Chausson. I am not an expert but have driven both Fiat and the new Transit, and at the risk of incurring the Fiat fans ire I vastly prefer the Ford (and it's quite a bit cheaper). The difference in length is only 3cm.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The one thing fiat have done is targeted the M/H business and developed both the engine/chassis to suit camper vans, not so sure Ford have done this

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nothing much has changed with the new transits except the outer shape (lwb HR pig ugly but smaller van look nice ?)--They are still only 5 ft 9 ins usable space at the bottom and they are now 5 ft 4 ins at the top (4 ins wider) Obviously this does not matter on a CB but on a PVC it matters a lot - They missed a trick and should have made the strengthening bars less wide inside freeing up much needed space -I thought they used same width back axles / running gear on all MWB/LWB transits ??? do they do a one off for CB' s ? or is it simply they don't waste all the inner space
terry

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
do they do a one off for CB' s ? or is it simply they don't waste all the inner space
Hi Terry. . On their cb Ford use what they call a wide track axel like the Fiat and others.. better stability and more space.
Agree their panel vans are just a pain to convert lol
Andy

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi ES,
We bought a new 610 flash 12 months ago and it suites us well, the Ford 155 bhp has so much power and the layout is ideal, when the bed goes away, which takes about three minutes, there is a lot of living space and Lou and shower are perfect, our reason for purchase was the length which is just under 7metres this is an ideal length for using D roads on the continent and general manoevering. The chassis is the new ford chassis designed for more stability, and yes it is a dream to drive.

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Our Arto is on a Fiat base,.3.0ltr engine 180BHP ,6 speed gearbox,(y) .jobs a good in.
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi ES,
We bought a new 610 flash 12 months ago and it suites us well, the Ford 155 bhp has so much power and the layout is ideal, when the bed goes away, which takes about three minutes, there is a lot of living space and Lou and shower are perfect, our reason for purchase was the length which is just under 7metres this is an ideal length for using D roads on the continent and general manoevering. The chassis is the new ford chassis designed for more stability, and yes it is a dream to drive.

We have the 510 then the 610 came out a year later :( Would have loved that garage. The van is great though lovely layout. Not perfect for us totally. As we would like a sitting area and a bed. But 8/10 for us. We have a fiat base and it drives lovely.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have the old transit base suits us fine at the time cruise cab aircon heated screen etc were all standard but extra on the fiat. Yes motorhomes are more common on the fiat base but look how many transits are on the road!! if there were noi price difference it might be a hard choice but as the ford is cheaper it would be a no brainer for me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

escapecommittee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Sounds like there are pros and cons for Fiat and Ford. Importantly for me is that no one , so far, has screamed "dont buy it!". Does that mean that there is not a viable alternative with drop down bed, storage etc?

Anyway glad I joined up as this forum looks like a really useful font of knowledge.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
Fiat or ford you wont be dissapointed with the chausson , we have been really happy with the build quality of the van so far , first habitation check a week on monday so this may change

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had several Ford and several Fiat based motorhomes. Both have their pros and cons and one of our Fords was a Chausson Flash 04. We got ours just before they changed to the wider rear track but we were quite happy with the narrower track as we found it a benefit when in Ireland and France on very narrow roads when passing others where a wider rear track would have meant the wheel would have gone off into the verge. Both drive well but one thing hubby preferred was the cruise control on the Ford - when set it would keep the speed constant both up and down hill, whereas the Fiat is fine up hill but down hill it doesn't hold the speed so we can end up going up to 5 mph faster than it's set for. I preferred the look of the Mk 7 Ford we had but not keen on the Mk 8 version, but then again I still think the Fiat is plain ugly!

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I drove to Italy in a brand new Chausson (on a ford base vehicle), in 2014, I can't remember which one as it was a hire vehicle (see pic) and I stupidly didn't write it down. All was well until approaching Luqa in Tuscany on the autostrada, at which point I suddenly lost all power and glided to an ignominious halt on the Italian excuse for a hard shoulder. To cut a long story short we had to await rescue coordinated by the hire firm -which eventually arrived and the driver made a gesture that my drive was over for sometime, as the van was winched onto a truck and we were all taken to the Ford garage in Luqa.

The result was we had to await a spare part from Germany that would take a week! The hire firm were brilliant (Unbeatable Hire collected from Southampton) and we got free accommodation in a private annex of a nice guest house in Luqa (lovely old walled city) and free car hire for 7 days in a rather flashy Lancia which I collected via posh taxi (all paid for) in nearby Pisa, also free bike hire too. Had a great time touring Tuscany and Luqa itself which is beautiful and we probably would have driven past without stopping heading south. Sure enough the part arrived in 7 days and all was then well.

I have a theory that my meanness in trying to avoid too many motorway tolls and stick to the "normal" roads cost us dear (though not financially) as the Italian roads aside from the motorways are shocking, many don't seem to have been improved since the war! I think the poor old ford engine must have been nearly shaken off its mountings, although of course it might not even have been connected. Funny enough the breakdown occurred on a lovely smooth motorway!
Italy-France 2014 074.JPG

Upvote 0

Bonio123

Free Member
May 31, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year and still enjoying it
just a note of caution. my 2012 swift Bolero on a fiat Ducato and 11000 miles with the euro5 engine is giving me messages of check glow plugs in addition to the engine management light showing. pinned this down to a blocked diesel particle filter and although we managed to force a regeneration of it I am still getting the check glow plug message. Not a straightforward job as front of vehicle has to come off. Fiat has obviously realised that there is a problem with the euro5 engine as the new euro5+ engine has a simple system of forcing a regeneration facility even whilst idling on the drive!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back