OP
L
Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
Quite a few thread about this dilemma which may be worth perusing, along with things to think about with each option, eg:

Broken Link Removed

Thanks Minxy. Appreciate that. Such a wealth of information in this forum

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
We have a 2.2m wide Travel Van T620G and find it's a good compromise between a PVC (hate the noise from door slamming) and a conventional coach-built which would struggle to get down our lane. Those few cm can be really significant! Other compact coachbuilts are available such as Weinsberg, Laika etc.
For us there were 2 major drawbacks to a PVC in addition to annoying neighbours with the door. First was the lack of a proper bathroom. Second was the lack of space to keep bikes, furniture etc secure when on-site. Our Travel Van has a huge lockable garage. The one time we left some chairs out overnight they disappeared (in Brittany)
Having said that, I find the main concern in narrow spaces is the mirrors which are never included in the stated width - and I have a cracked nearside Mirrorguard to prove it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L
Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
We have a 2.2m wide Travel Van T620G and find it's a good compromise between a PVC (hate the noise from door slamming) and a conventional coach-built which would struggle to get down our lane. Those few cm can be really significant! Other compact coachbuilts are available such as Weinsberg, Laika etc.
For us there were 2 major drawbacks to a PVC in addition to annoying neighbours with the door. First was the lack of a proper bathroom. Second was the lack of space to keep bikes, furniture etc secure when on-site. Our Travel Van has a huge lockable garage. The one time we left some chairs out overnight they disappeared (in Brittany)
Having said that, I find the main concern in narrow spaces is the mirrors which are never included in the stated width - and I have a cracked nearside Mirrorguard to prove it!
Will keep an eye out for the more compact MHs. So many seem to be a standard 2.3m. We'll want to sell this one again and hope not to lose to much value from scratches or dents!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One benefit of the mirrors on our a-class is they are above cars and a lot of vans too although we do have to be careful with lorries and busses! If the cost of the rear-view mirror cameras comes down it's something I'd definitely look at investing in as it would mean that we'd get a better view of the scenery out of the forward side windows and not have blind spots at junctions.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
We almost came unstuck in France when the Satnav re-routed us because the road we had chosen turned out to closed for a carnival. The new route took us through the narrow streets of the town. I remember following a panel van thinking If he can get thru', we can. A very close call at one point but we made it (phew!).

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
...And that's why mirrorguards were invented....and an absolute must for any van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We almost came unstuck in France when the Satnav re-routed us because the road we had chosen turned out to closed for a carnival. The new route took us through the narrow streets of the town. I remember following a panel van thinking If he can get thru', we can. A very close call at one point but we made it (phew!).
Same here but in Spain, on our way out from an aire on a main road (one way) some numpty had parked his car at a pinch point which was clearly marked no parking, it was so tight I had to get out and guide hubby through with the mirrors pushed in, anything wider than our Carthago (2.12m+folded mirrors) wouldn't have got through, a fatter coachbuilt would have had to sit there until the owner returned.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
No such thing as "numpty parking" in Spain: just blow your horn until the situation is resolved!

This picture is taken from a friend's apartment in Zaragoza.
Zaragoza parking.JPG
My car is against the pavement behind the van on the far side; the second row of cars are also parked! I was dubious but it worked fine :giggle:

Gordon

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Just remembered Adria compact.

Looks ideal!

The width of the Adria at 2.21 total was one of the deciding factors for us. Have a Compact Deluxe SC (island bed) ordered for an alleged April delivery (we’ll see!).

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Re noisy PVC sliding doors. Buy an PVC by IH motorhome there is a choice to have a Hartal motorhome door installed at a cost. Also PVC based on the VW Crafter the wing mirrors do not stick out as mutch as Fiat and when you fold them in even less width.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The width of the Adria at 2.21 total was one of the deciding factors for us. Have a Compact Deluxe SC (island bed) ordered for an alleged April delivery (we’ll see!).

Was a major factor for us too. Also, they are fitted with short arm mirrors (same mirrors as a PVC) which also makes a difference. Just waiting on the DVLA now.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I like the quality of current Carthago models too. But particularly chose the Mli because it's 2.2m wide....and as the actress said to the bishop, "Six inches makes a difference". If you look eg at some Pilot models, notice how far the front wheel arches stick out past the wheels. It would cause us more problems on Welsh country roads. Also note, the width quoted doesn't include wing mirrors.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am a bit late answering the OP.

For driving reasons:

Unless the driver has a lot of experience of driving Transit type vans then there is going to be a learning curve whichever you choose.

I did quite a lot of professional driving as a part-time retirement job. Initially it was a mix of Transit-type and VW T%/6. Then the agency sent me to drive a 7.5t for the first time: I was thrown in at the deep end as it was a large removal van that had to pick up in a suburban street driveway as no parking had been booked. I later did a lot of driving for the government on 7.5T

Whatever vehicle one drives one has to assess the width, at first allowing a margin for error, then with experience one can reduce that error: one way I do that on any vehicle is after clearing a narrow gap I look in the wing mirrors to assess the gap I left and I can then calculate how much closer I can come the next time.

In a standard 2.3m wide coachbuilt or 'A' Class there are few places where you could not take it - in 10 years on the Continent we may have had to reject 3 roads.

Of course there are times, especially with parked cars, there is not room for 2 moving vehicles to pass, so somebody gives way for a minute. In our Arto with a massive screen we look more like a 16-seater coach and thus are often given way to, even by 'white van man'

Personally I would ignore advice which recommends a vehicle that is 2.1m wide compared to a 2.3m wide. You will get used to either after a week.

For accommodation reasons:

I am not familiar with the term 'pavilion bed', but maybe you mean island bed, i.e fore and aft with access both sides? If so it will be difficult to find that in a 6m MH.

As far as length is concerned the driving is not much different in a 7m long, except for the overhang, but that depends on wheelbase of the base chassis, which on a LWB chassis can be the same as a 6M SWB chassis.

As far as internal accommodation space for a 6-month trip, if you are comfortable with the advice above about being able to get used to any width vehicle after a few days then I would say go for the biggest accommodation you can afford, because for 6-months you will need bicycles, clothes for 3 seasons, spare bedding(we carry 3 sets) to avoid too many stops for washing, phones, cameras, lots on entertainment, favourite foods not found on Continent - the list mounts up.

Of course that is all subject to payload, and driving licence C1

In summary(after a long post):

My advice is to not worry about width, as there are thousands of us driving 2.3m, or wider. Probably most of whom had only driven cars before.

Go for as big as you can under 7m, with I would suggest a garage for bikes/scooter.

I hope this is useful.

Good luck with your decision.

Geoff

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Interesting to note that some British motorhomes are still being built in Imperial units. How else would my 2010 Elddis be exactly 7 ft wide (2.13M)😁?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
One benefit of the mirrors on our a-class is they are above cars and a lot of vans too although we do have to be careful with lorries and busses! If the cost of the rear-view mirror cameras comes down it's something I'd definitely look at investing in as it would mean that we'd get a better view of the scenery out of the forward side windows and not have blind spots at junctions.
I found that in the hedge-lined backroads in Norfolk and Cornwall, the hedges have receded around the car wing mirror height. But that arch towards the road higher up, so my 'coach' mirrors on my a-class give me even less room.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I found that in the hedge-lined backroads in Norfolk and Cornwall, the hedges have receded around the car wing mirror height. But that arch towards the road higher up, so my 'coach' mirrors on my a-class give me even less room.
We've had the opposite, as our mirrors are mounted at the top rather than at the side the same as yours they go over the top of hedges when it gets tight, we do have a narrower MH too which makes a big difference.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Personally I would ignore advice which recommends a vehicle that is 2.1m wide compared to a 2.3m wide. You will get used to either after a week.
He will get used to it of course but having had fat and thin ones (MH and PVC) we find that a narrower ones are much less stressful when on narrow roads and in traffic, especially with some of the idiots that like to drive right up to the centre line from the opposite direction. Another thing to do with length this time is that of the overhang which can again make turning etc into side roads more difficult as you can side swing other vehicles with the 'bum'.

There's never going to be a 'one size fits all' solution just trying to find one that fits the requirements at the time.

OP
OP
L
Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
I am a bit late answering the OP.

For driving reasons:

Unless the driver has a lot of experience of driving Transit type vans then there is going to be a learning curve whichever you choose.

I did quite a lot of professional driving as a part-time retirement job. Initially it was a mix of Transit-type and VW T%/6. Then the agency sent me to drive a 7.5t for the first time: I was thrown in at the deep end as it was a large removal van that had to pick up in a suburban street driveway as no parking had been booked. I later did a lot of driving for the government on 7.5T

Whatever vehicle one drives one has to assess the width, at first allowing a margin for error, then with experience one can reduce that error: one way I do that on any vehicle is after clearing a narrow gap I look in the wing mirrors to assess the gap I left and I can then calculate how much closer I can come the next time.

In a standard 2.3m wide coachbuilt or 'A' Class there are few places where you could not take it - in 10 years on the Continent we may have had to reject 3 roads.

Of course there are times, especially with parked cars, there is not room for 2 moving vehicles to pass, so somebody gives way for a minute. In our Arto with a massive screen we look more like a 16-seater coach and thus are often given way to, even by 'white van man'

For accommodation reasons:

I am not familiar with the term 'pavilion bed', but maybe you mean island bed, i.e fore and aft with access both sides? If so it will be difficult to find that in a 6m MH.

As far as length is concerned the driving is not much different in a 7m long, except for the overhang, but that depends on wheelbase of the base chassis, which on a LWB chassis can be the same as a 6M SWB chassis.

As far as internal accommodation space for a 6-month trip, if you are comfortable with the advice above about being able to get used to any width vehicle after a few days then I would say go for the biggest accommodation you can afford, because for 6-months you will need bicycles, clothes for 3 seasons, spare bedding(we carry 3 sets) to avoid too many stops for washing, phones, cameras, lots on entertainment, favourite foods not found on Continent - the list mounts up.

Of course that is all subject to payload, and driving licence C1

In summary(after a long post):

My advice is to not worry about width, as there are thousands of us driving 2.3m, or wider. Probably most of whom had only driven cars before.

Go for as big as you can under 7m, with I would suggest a garage for bikes/scooter.

I hope this is useful.

Good luck with your decision.

Geoff
Thanks for the comprehensive response Geoff.
I have driven vans in the past for short periods but my husband hasn't. I appreciate that you just need to adapt to suit the vehicle but also think if a tad narrower made us feel more relaxed while driving, it is something I'd be keen on. Especially as we are not sure where we'll be going over the 6 months.
Maybe it isn't the right term in English but the French seem to use pavilion bed for the drop down type.
It means with a 2.3m wide motorhome you get a fab living area over a short length. Not seen any which have this in the narrower version but will keep hunting.
Good point on drivers giving way to the A-class ...I think I would too as you expect from the front they are a full on bus! Must be so roomy and comfortable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe it isn't the right term in English but the French seem to use pavilion bed for the drop down type. It means with a 2.3m wide motorhome you get a fab living area over a short length. Not seen any which have this in the narrower version but will keep hunting.
Do you mean the type that comes down over the cab as in an A-class? If so then all A-classes have this with the exception of owners who have specified storage cupboard instead but they are rare. We have a front drop down double and a rear transverse double in our 6.41m narrow A-class and they are lovely and roomy.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We're limited to 6m due to our driveway (which is maybe slightly less than 6m and we're just bargaining on neighbours not complaining!). We went to an a-class because it maximised the space within that 6m. We've got a bathroom at the back, kitchen in the middle and lounge at the front. The bed drops down. With an a-class, the bed drops down over the cab on manual pivots and leaves the lounge free. The semi-integrated c-class version of the same layouts have the bed drop down over the lounge electrically, so I can't chill for a bit while my wife is in bed. The bed over the lounge also sacrifices several of the overhead lockers.

As an example, compare the Roller Team Pegaso 590 to the T-Line 590 both of which are similar to our Geist i585.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
After 5 years we went from a motorhome to a VW camper van January 2021. It took some getting used to as no built-in toilet, bathroom (if you are staying on camp sites this is not a problem) and fixed bed and in the first month thought we had made a big mistake. Three months into owning it, things go easier and found fix bed was not needed as could sleep in pop up roof or folding bed. We do not miss the fitted bathroom as you can wash happy enough in the van and as for toilet we have a portable one which works just fine. So thats the bad bits out of the way.
Now the good bits..... Driving it is just like a car, so getting in and around small villages is easy and parking so simple. Cooking is the same as motorhome and heating is the same (not needed so much in Spain). We tend to not use campsites so much as just find a nice spot and park up. To date completed trips around Spain, France and Germany clocking up around 9K (km) or 96 days away last year.
The wife also loves driving it as she never wanted to drive the motorhome.
Do we now miss the motorhome.................. not really
Interesting post, thanks. I've had my VW T5 for 7.5 years and have been considering upsizing but the more I look, although I like the extra space inside, I keep finding myself preferring the flexibility of the smaller van. I've also looked at changing my T5 for a T6/T6.1 but the cost to change at present is astronomical and my current van is in good condition, so then it becomes 'how much do I spend on making changes to my current van'!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Interesting post, thanks. I've had my VW T5 for 7.5 years and have been considering upsizing but the more I look, although I like the extra space inside, I keep finding myself preferring the flexibility of the smaller van. I've also looked at changing my T5 for a T6/T6.1 but the cost to change at present is astronomical and my current van is in good condition, so then it becomes 'how much do I spend on making changes to my current van'!
The difference in footprint from a VW T5 LWB to a 5.4m Ducato is only a few cm. But the difference inside is massive. The only disadvantage as far as I can see is you can't fit under height barriers.

Deleted User
With a narrower 7m coach-built van and short arm mirrors I can go almost anywhere a parcel van can deliver, it's a great feeling 🌝

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You would be surprised how much easier driving a PVC is. Ive had all sizes of van and the width is far more important than the length. I would happily have an 8mtr PVC if they did one.
Layouts are your biggest issue as you may not get one that suits you.
For the PVC haters, we have a soft close door, full size fridge freezer, 1450kg payload and more storage than half the coachbuilts we see.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
With a narrower 7m coach-built van and short arm mirrors I can go almost anywhere a parcel van can deliver, it's a great feeling 🌝

For lizibit (OP)

Another way to asses whether a 2.3m wide MH can go down a certain road is to look out for rubbish bins outside houses and/ bustops - if the bin lorries and buses can go there so can the 2.3m.

Another aspect to bear in mind is that although a MH is wider the elevated seat gives one a better view of any obstructions/gaps.

Yes the 'A' Class are comfortable, for example in our 7m we have a long 2m sofa and we can sit at each end with feet up side-by-side. Also the panoramic w/screen keeps you in touch with the outside world, right up to the mountain tops.

From your last post it sounds as though you are coming down on the side of a narrower van. Just wait for final decision until you have test driven a wider one - the salesman will not let you crash it. ;) :LOL:

Geoff

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Another way to asses whether a 2.3m wide MH can go down a certain road is to look out for rubbish bins outside houses and/ bustops - if the bin lorries and buses can go there so can the 2.3m.
This has been mentioned several times - and is true.
But binmen & bus drivers don't care so much about scratches or the odd dink.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My motorhome is the 'std' 2.3m which causes me no problem.
However , the mirrors (long arm versions) are a concern.
Has anybody fitted the medium arm mirrors and have they been OK (on a Ducato) ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My motorhome is the 'std' 2.3m which causes me no problem.
However , the mirrors (long arm versions) are a concern.
Has anybody fitted the medium arm mirrors and have they been OK (on a Ducato) ?

I suspect the mirrors wouldn't be wide enough to clear the coachwork body behind. You'd not be able to see along the bodyline.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Because of "staycation" due to covid, camper van prices have gone bananas. We bought ours Jan 2021 and the same van is €5000.00 more this month 2022. I personally would add things (we have) like a B2B charger, 200watt solar panel, MultiRail Reimo ( we made our own awning), LiFePO4 12.8V battery and an inverter to date.
The best thing is parking...... as now with the LiFePO4 battery and inverter we just park up in a village, close blinds and chill, granted we have the sun here to recharge via solar and if needs be B2B. Few weeks back we parked outside a police station (25 metres away) and no one battered an eyelid.
Hold tight on to yours, do a few "mods" and enjoy it. :cool:
619df825-1c1e-47c9-b722-37b14033d4d8.jpg

IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

ENJOY

:cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun