Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a 36tf coach; will i find it very restricive using it in the uk and more so in europe?

Thanks Patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
What size is your new one Ruth? Is it here yet? hope your both doin ok and still have some finger-nails left Ha Ha

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a 36tf coach; will i find it very restricive using it in the uk and more so in europe?

Thanks Patrick

Hi patrick in a nutshell, yes ::bigsmile: but I would say "more restrictive" not "very"

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My bus is 34 ft but we manage:Cool:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Patrick

In Europe it will depend how you use your RV.

Do you like to go holiday in one or two places for a period of time or do you like to tour around would you tow a car? Many take 36-38 foot RVs into Europe but they tend to know which sites they are heading for then stay for a period of time using the car to make sorties.

We liked to tour and had a 33-foot RV and car and would cover 20 sites in a tour in France and Spain. I wouldn't have wanted to go any bigger and many sites we went on hardly coped with us and wouldn't have coped with an extra 3 inches. It's not just pitch size it's manouevering in the site and onto pitches. We got into a number of sticky positions (all described in my book).

If you can find sites that you know you can fit on then no problem - just turning up and hoping (like we did) you will have problems and telephoning sites to ask ahead of time doesn't work very well 'no problema' will be ringing in your ears as you desperately try and negotiate their trees, toilet blocks, overhead awning structures, other campers and even their entrance. I haven't even mentioned dumping your waste :Eeek: However, it gives you lots of stories to tell.

Mo and Dick's Big Pitch Guide could prove invaluable - there is an advert on this site.

:Smile:
Keith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
probably less so in europe....they have better roads than us.:Angry:

many people have large RVs in the UK and they seem to manage ok:thumb::thumb:

possibly forget the lake district/cornwall unless you're on main roads though.:cry:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Not wishing to be accused of advertising but we can point you to over 350 UK camp sites that will take over 30ft - nearly all of which will take 34ft or more - and at least 80 or more that will take you overnight (c/o Welcome to The Motorhome Stopover). That is not counting well over a hundred or so on the Continent - many complete with Members reports and comments.

Suggest you click on <here> and then view the googlemaps section for an idea of the spread of sites.

We are in a 36ft quad-slide towing an 18ft trailer with car on it and my wife is in a wheelchair so I am primarily single handed. Yes of course we find problems BUT that is all part of the course. If it was all easy sailing then it would be totally boring!

As for being restricted - just remember - in general you are no bigger than a public transport bus or tourist coach - and just think of how many out of the way places that you come across them.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Having travelled the roads in Europe in a 32 foot RV & toad, I don't think their roads are better, you will still get very narrow roads & overhanging buidings in towns and on some so called major routes. The biggest problem in Europe is the camp sites as Keith has said. :Eeek:

You will have to get used to the sound of the trees scaping down the side of your pride & joy, & polishing the marks out. :Eeek:

In the UK be careful in the areas mentioned plus Scotland, here even some A roads are single track. But many RV's (& HGV's) make it all over the UK, just be careful, especialy following your sat. nav. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back