Does my vehicle battery charge on EHU? (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
First post - please be gentle

We have a 2013 Trivage Tribute T615 on a Ford Transit base, which we bought secondhand. Having had problems with the vehicle battery going flat after a few weeks in storage, where we have no electricity available. I have brought the battery home to keep it charged up, over winter

We are considering giving up the storage and bringing the vehicle home, next winter. I am unclear whether or not then using an EHU will also keep the vehicle battery topped up. The onboard charger is a Sargent EC155, with an EC51 Control Panel. I have read the User Instructions and am still not clear, although it does show a feed from the Power Converter/Battery Charger going to the Vehicle Battery

The User Instructions are here:

Broken Link Removed

If the unit does not charger the battery then my solution will probably be a Voltronic B2B charger

TIA

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-14_11-24-38.png
    upload_2015-1-14_11-24-38.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 29

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
YES.. That unit has a smart charger and does both engine and leisure battery,,
You may want to check on the panel that it is set to "smart" charging, you never know if someone has had a play around with it. Smart is the default setting..
It may be the vehicle alarm that is causing the power drain.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
page 5, select the Vehical battery, this (when on mains) should charge your cab battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
On such a new van the vehicle battery should be able to hold charge for extended periods whilst it's in store. I suggest you seek out the cause of the battery discharging, maybe an alarm ? And address that.
My Transit based van is 2009 still with original battery and will always start 1st time even after three months parked up (saying that now means next time I come to start it Sod's law will have kicked in).
Best of luck in the search!

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Thank you for the quick and helpful responses

The vehicle has a Cobra alarm fitted and I don't doubt that this has a big influence in the rate of vehicle battery discharge, but the only way to disable the alarm is to disconnect the battery lead and lock the doors manually I do not suspect the battery, as last Autumn we left the vehicle for 4-5 weeks and I disconnected the battery, which then started the van straight away on returning

I had considered fitting a battery isolator switch, but the battery live terminal is a flat plate and room in the battery housing is tight

From what has been said it appears that the Control Panel has to be set to "Vehicle" to charge, and then changed to "Leisure" for the other battery, rather than both batteries charging automatically. Is this correct?

How do I check that "the panel that it is set to "smart" charging", please?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I may have been wrong my pannal is older and does not have a smart charge option. I have to sellect one battery or the other.

One way to tell is by whatching tbe change in volts on whatever battery is selected

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back