Does my leisure battery need replacing? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
Our vehicle is 42 months old and the Varta leisure battery came new with the van.
The last couple of days we have gone to bed at night and the battery has shown 12.5 volts however in the morning it shows 11.5 v and then the system cuts out.
The solar charged the battery yesterday and we used the lights and pump last night with no problems.
This morning the battery again was dead in a couple of minutes. We have just started the engine and moved to the waste disposal point and the battery now reads 12.7v. At night we have nothing on at all except the fridge which is on gas.
Is it time for a new battery?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Looks like it.
You really need to do a controlled test with the battery out of the vehicle. (Which I guess you cant do if you are using it.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I find at this time of year solar cannot keep the battery in charge, I use EHU.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
Thanks for your replies, we are currently near Gibraltar so still getting plenty of sun for the solar. Just need to find a Motorhome dealer now to change the battery.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The last couple of days we have gone to bed at night and the battery has shown 12.5 volts however in the morning it shows 11.5 v and then the system cuts out.
The solar charged the battery yesterday and we used the lights and pump last night with no problems.
This morning the battery again was dead in a couple of minutes.

The post-charge voltage is no indication of the health of the battery. If as you say it dropped from charged by solar to dead in a couple of minutes it's likely to be at the end of life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To get a full charge you need to get up to 14.2 - 14.7 volts voltage depending on type of battery, then it will need an absorption phase to fully complete the charge. Just getting it to 12.7v will not do the job.
Also continually discharging it will have done it in, so you do need a new battery and you need to look at your charging regime.

I notice you have a Hymer Group van so probably has an AGM battery, you have done well for it to last that long. Providing your charger has a Gel setting I would replace it with a Gel battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back