Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envoy '97
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all - I’d like to pick your brains to see if my perfect motorhome layout actually exists.

We’ve had an L-Shaped lounge Elddis Envoy for the past few years and do love it but think it’s time to upgrade. It’s a 1.9 petrol engine so not the most economical van on the road…

When we first bought it we slept in the over-cab bed once and hated it! Ever since then we’ve slept in the lounge, which we leave permanently made up as a bed, so we can have a wee lie-down whenever the mood takes.

One thing we really love about this arrangement is the great light and views due to the panoramic windows of a rear lounge. It seems so many new mohos have very few windows!

Because our habitation door is on the left-hand-side, and we wildcamp, it’s wonderful being able to wake up looking out at the same beautiful view that you have when sitting outside the van.

However we do really miss having a small table to eat at, and if the weather’s not great (we do live in Scotland…) we end up sitting on the bed with plates balanced on our knees.

So... Ideally my van would have the following features…
  • Transverse, double bed at rear. (Fixed would be great but L-shaped lounge is ok).
  • Rear windows on all 3 sides.
  • Small dinette /or swivel seats + table.
  • Left-hand side habitation door.
  • External storage. Don’t need a big garage but would be nice to have somewhere for bbq/inflatable kayak/outdoor stuff that I’d rather not have to store on the over-cab bed.
FYI - there’s just the two of us and we’ll never be taking other people with us.

Does anyone know any models that fit this description?

Thanks.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a compass avantgard 150 07 reg and I suppose it's much the same as yours, and we do the same as you re bed but we have a foldable table and sit on the bed at the table much the same as if we pushed the bed back, we have looked at countless other models, and have never seen one as light and airy as ours and I presume yours is much the same. We have no plans on ever changing it as it suits us better than many others we have looked at , at anything up to 100 grand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Beer Wolf

Beer Wolf

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envoy '97
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Bill_OR - the AutoTrail does look ideal in many ways. But sadly way out of my price range!!

Chaser - you're right - that is exactly same as ours. They are a great layout in so many ways. I just feel I would like a little more space for food prep as there is none! But as you say they are very light and airy and I haven't yet found a layout I liked as much.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Our hymer 644 had a u lounge at the rear, windows on 3 sides and an L sofa with swivel table up front. We left the rear made up as the bed. I loved that layout!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hi all - I’d like to pick your brains to see if my perfect motorhome layout actually exists.

We’ve had an L-Shaped lounge Elddis Envoy for the past few years and do love it but think it’s time to upgrade. It’s a 1.9 petrol engine so not the most economical van on the road…

When we first bought it we slept in the over-cab bed once and hated it! Ever since then we’ve slept in the lounge, which we leave permanently made up as a bed, so we can have a wee lie-down whenever the mood takes.

One thing we really love about this arrangement is the great light and views due to the panoramic windows of a rear lounge. It seems so many new mohos have very few windows!

Because our habitation door is on the left-hand-side, and we wildcamp, it’s wonderful being able to wake up looking out at the same beautiful view that you have when sitting outside the van.

However we do really miss having a small table to eat at, and if the weather’s not great (we do live in Scotland…) we end up sitting on the bed with plates balanced on our knees.

• Transverse, double bed at rear. (Fixed would be great but L-shaped lounge is ok).
  • External storage. Don’t need a big garage but would be nice to have somewhere for bbq/inflatable kayak/outdoor stuff that I’d rather not have to store on the over-cab bed.
FYI - there’s just the two of us and we’ll never be taking other people with us.

Thanks.
That would be out ideal layout as well. They are quite common in PVCs but lack the garage usually.. but not always.

We want the garage as a dog kennel so something likehttp://www.wiltshiremotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome-sales/wildax-aurora/ maybe suits

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Autocruise did a model called the Starseeker which obviously is no longer in production. The year it was introduced it did have a window in the rear panel thereby meeting your criteria of 3 windows (I think) around a transverse bed. However the rear window was later removed. It is a transverse bed with a bench seat up front and was my ideal layout at the time it was introduced, sadly it was out of my price range back then. They don't often come up for sale but worth a look if you find one. I think there is a Funster with one, but don't know if it is the original design.

The under bed storage however wouldn't be suitable for a dog!!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Thanks.

Ours is a close match - all but no external storage & U shaped lounge instead of L shaped, works well for just the two of us & our little dog.:)

OP
OP
Beer Wolf

Beer Wolf

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envoy '97
Exp
Since 2013
That Aurora really does look nice, eh? And no damp worries! But again, sadly, well beyond my budget...

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
That Aurora really does look nice, eh? And no damp worries! But again, sadly, well beyond my budget...
Mine too. I keep looking for them coming up second hand but they seem not to very often and are dear still. A good sign I guess and I just need to be patient.

OP
OP
Beer Wolf

Beer Wolf

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envoy '97
Exp
Since 2013
Unfortunately I live in a third floor flat with no garage or private land. And wouldn't know where to start anyway!!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If a panel van conversion will suit your needs then @Terry is your man. He will convert a van to your specification and he doesn't take months to complete. He can also source a van for conversion for you and has 1 or 2 for sale in the classifieds section. I have seen the quality of his work and it is ace!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If a panel van conversion will suit your needs then @Terry is your man. He will convert a van to your specification and he doesn't take months to complete. He can also source a van for conversion for you and has 1 or 2 for sale in the classifieds section. I have seen the quality of his work and it is ace!
Can @Terry copy this design ;) (how much?) ;););)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Left-hand side habitation door.
pity.... that rules out all continental models... including my Hymer B644 G .. Garage model with fixed transverse bed..

pictures here Broken Link Removed

and layout

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Thanks.

Other than left hand door the Globecar Campscout Revolution has what you are asking for.

OP
OP
Beer Wolf

Beer Wolf

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envoy '97
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the input everyone - much appreciated. I'm not actually expecting to be able to fulfill all my preferences, was just curious if the 'ideal' was out there. I suspect there will always be compromises to be made...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back