Does anyone use bio detergent in the loo?? (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having spent some time working in the sewage industry i wouldnt use blue or the so called green . i have seen both spoil good sewage works . usually campsite ones . the costs of getting them sorted runs into thousands .
emptying washing . bringing in good sewage to start it off etc . i was once involved on one big campsite for weeks , all the scientists told me what it was about ,it was interesting . but the costs well . glad i wasnt paying .
mind i also did alot with drinking water that was even more interesting as a m,homer going over seas alot .
i always asked questions .
better not to empty everyday .
i followed what sww scientists told me was best , it works .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Tried the bio stuff with the old mh. Preferred the proper blue stuff.
Now we don't use anything since Ralph fitted the sog. It's great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
whats SOG
It stands for Sucks Out Gas. There is a little fan which draws air down into the cassette when you open the blade. This keeps the evil miasma down where it belongs. Until....

Tried the bio stuff with the old mh. Preferred the proper blue stuff.
Now we don't use anything since Ralph fitted the sog. It's great.

...you come to empty it! That is when the smell hits me.

Does it have to be bio or is there a problem with none bio??

Bio stuff seems to stop the bugs breaking wind - or whatever it is they do which makes the smell. It can play havoc with a septic tank if you use too much.

Outside the UK don't expect to see it written on the packet, they don't use the term in this context but generally all washing powders/liquids you buy in say Spain or France are what we would call bio.

Reactions: LAM
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It stands for Sucks Out Gas. There is a little fan which draws air down into the cassette when you open the blade.

But what happens when you empty it? That is when the smell hits me!

In all the years we've had caravans and since going over to the Motorhome and now "Pug" , I've never emptied a cassette.
Ralphs job.
But he says it smells no worse than when using the Bio washing liquid.
We found that smelt terrible. We tried different makes too.
Plus we used a fair bit thinking we weren't using enough. You could smell it as soon as you opened the flap when going for a wee. At least the blue smelt of chemicals , not flowery poo!::bigsmile:
The sog ,Ralph fitted, has a vent that goes out of the bottom of the van too. Not the side . I've stood outside whilst ralphs been using it. Not smelt even a whiff!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
In all the years we've had caravans and since going over to the Motorhome and now "Pug" , I've never emptied a cassette.
Ralphs job.
But he says it smells no worse than when using the Bio washing liquid.
We found that smelt terrible. We tried different makes too.
Plus we used a fair bit thinking we weren't using enough. You could smell it as soon as you opened the flap when going for a wee. At least the blue smelt of chemicals , not flowery poo!::bigsmile:
The sog ,Ralph fitted, has a vent that goes out of the bottom of the van too. Not the side . I've stood outside whilst ralphs been using it. Not smelt even a whiff!!

Same here and the reason we went back to using the blue couldn't stand the terrible smell the bio caused.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A wild card............. perhaps it depends on what we eat and drink as to how smelly the loo is??

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use Tescos biological washing liquid which does a good job. We add more as the waste fills up. I have started putting some in the cistern tank in the hope that it will reduce the amount of black algae growing in it.

If we get any smells from the loo, we put more in to the tank. We also flush a little water onto the closed seal in the loo, leading to the cassette so the smell does not come up.

We haven't used blue to years - it damages sewage systems and isn't necessary.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
A wild card............. perhaps it depends on what we eat and drink as to how smelly the loo is??
You might have something g there. Both Ralph and I drink my home made Kefir , morning and night.
http://draxe.com/kefir-benefits/
It's a probiotic milk drink I make fresh everyday. Packed with vitamins and probiotics.
We have noticed that since drinking this ( from Xmas) our no2's aren't half as stinky. But we do have a traditional meat and veg diet. With only a takeaway treat once a week.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You might have something g there. Both Ralph and I drink my home made Kefir , morning and night.
http://draxe.com/kefir-benefits/
It's a probiotic milk drink I make fresh everyday. Packed with vitamins and probiotics.
We have noticed that since drinking this ( from Xmas) our no2's aren't half as stinky. But we do have a traditional meat and veg diet. With only a takeaway treat once a week.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Brewer's yeast tablets - 3 in the tank in warm weather, 4 in colder weather. Works a treat, very clean & easy to do, and a bottle of 500 tablets is about £7 on Fleabay. A tip I got from this very site if I remember rightly.

I hate the smell of the blue chemical! The yeast tablets do seem to take the worst of the effluent smell away. Only caveat here is that with 5 of us in the van (3 young kids) the tank has to be emptied daily, so the contents never hang around for too long. Having said that, I forgot to empty the tank when we got home last week and it sat for 4 days before it was emptied, and it was no worse than usual.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back