Does anyone know about VW Tiguan engines? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My 2014 diesel Tiguan was serviced yesterday by a main dealer and there were no problems, except for a comment on the mechanics bill of health to the effect that there was evidence of an oil leak between the engine and gearbox. Being wary of "work creation" schemes by garages I don't want to phone them to ask what this means, the work they would suggest to repair it and the undoubtably humongous cost involved without knowing in advance a bit about what they are implying. Does anyone on here know what the "evidence of a leak" might be? The car has only done 27,000 miles and doesn't use oil or leave drips on the drive. Many thanks!

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just had similar on my range rover.
firts service , and got a health check.
Slight oil leak from turbo pipe.
Even got a photo, showing nothing more than a stain on the housing where the pipe was clipped.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Between engine and gearbox implies either crankshaft rear oil seal or gearbox input shaft oil seal. The drip (or hopefully slight stain) will appear at the bottom of the clutch housing at the joint between it and the engine (or flywheel cover). Take a look so you can better judge if its serious or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
At the end of the day it is a early golf engine on steroids and some of us older folks can remember when golf diesels were not quite as magnificent as they are now portrayed.
In saying that I hope it is no more than a rear crank seal.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Between engine and gearbox implies either crankshaft rear oil seal or gearbox input shaft oil seal. The drip (or hopefully slight stain) will appear at the bottom of the clutch housing at the joint between it and the engine (or flywheel cover). Take a look so you can better judge if its serious or not.

Well explained by Tony, why not give it a clean with an aerosol can of brake cleaner and then monitor it and see if it’s becoming a problem or not, if it’s only very slight it may never become a problem in your ownership, some dealers can be very “inventive” when looking for work !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd always be wary of VW dealers.

I had a Touareg a little while ago that was coming up to it's first MOT and also needed a service. The VW dealer I bought it from gave me a price which I didn't like.

I took it to my regular mechanic up the road who serviced it, MOT'd and changed all 4 sets of brake pads for less than VW had quoted just for the service and MOT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If its not a "puddle leaver" dont worry about it , as Spanner says quick spray with brake cleaner and wipe then see what happens .
A tiny spot will cover a large area but not be detectable as a drop in level.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back