Does anyone here like chef's fiddling with food before serving? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So guys
What do you make of this little lot, which we discovered in a bistro in Belgium

I had Classic Sole Meunière, served with Frites and mayonnaise.
IMG_7254.JPG

Mrs C had lightly grilled Tuna with Wok Fied Veggies and Pasta with Pesto
IMG_7256.JPG

Yummy or Posh Tummy ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So guys

View attachment 155881

View attachment 155882

Yummy or Posh Tummy ?

I don't eat fish or I would have licked my phone screen.. ;) ... I t looks delicious ..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just found some proper posh party food

<Broken link removed>

Very 'new age'
What's Party Food ?

They'll be calling it Tapas next and doubling the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
That pretty much sums me up, I had a mother who wouldn't feed or cloth me & life was extremely hard, so I had to fight for everything before the social services spotted what was going on & I was taken into care. Perhaps this explains my disgust at chef's fannying about with food oh & that I feel its done to get away with serving piddly little amounts to save money.
Let me put it another way, its like that king folk sing about, you know the one "The King Is In The Altogether" snobs or the pseudo snobs dont realise that they're being turned over. The odd thing is that I have some friends that are extremely rich, but you'd never know it as they're so grounded. The types that crave this tripe are the V neck sweater golfist types.
Bit harsh but I understand your viewpoint
Treat your self on that special occasion, then back to reality

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So guys

View attachment 155881

View attachment 155882

Yummy or Posh Tummy ?

Looks lovely but the first plate almost looks like enough for 2 people.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
So guys

View attachment 155881

View attachment 155882

Yummy or Posh Tummy ?
The determining factor is surely what it tasted like, not how it looked.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I have never experienced food deprivation (except on a diet!) and can only imagine the issues that leaves you with. I cant comprehend someone not wanting to feed and nurture a child. :cry:
Food for everyone was and still is a massive part of family life for us.
my grandparents ate very simply, just bread and butter, or onion and potato pie with clear onion gravy and rice pudding, (pink blancmange, tinned pears and a joint of pork at Christmas) meat was a rarity.
Money was very tight when we had 4 young children and in those days a massive mortgage to pay, my dad helped out with regular bags of potatoes, onions, carrots and swede from the wholesale market and with a pack of mince or a large chicken from Netto and a few baking ingredients we ate really well.
Nowadays I love an attractive plate or platter of food, I dont mind a board slate or basket but being a Yorkshire lass I dont appreciate blatant rip off food and have walked out of places that do that. I couldn't frequent a place that paints a line of sauce and positions tiny leaves on an otherwise fairly empty plate, I would rather spend the money on nice ingredients to cook at home.
What I really hate is when people waste good food, always leaving something on their plate on principle with that "its just too much for me" and a big sigh! A person I know and love offers it to her husband when it is clap cold, we all know she has no intention of eating it and its like a little drama she plays out every time, Grrrrr!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks lovely but the first plate almost looks like enough for 2 people.
They were actually quite small fishes. Probably too small for the UK market.
The volume of fish was probably the same as one large sole in the U.K.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
This dinner can be produced in France in an English Motorhome, we have a cooker that means an oven, not a gas hob! Dessert was a lemon cream Mille Feuille.
A good wife/cook is also essential
proper.JPG
mille.JPG

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
An interesting thread which I enjoyed reading. A great illustration of the diversity of contributors tastes. Personally I like fine dining restaurants provided the food is well presented and forms part of a whole experience, tomorrow I will be eating in a top fine dining restaurant and I know it will be expensive, I also know it will be delicious and the whole experience will be enjoyable.

On the other hand last week I was up in the midlands and I had take away fish and chips which had been cooked in beef dripping, I sat on a nearby wall watching the world go by as I enjoyed them. Cheap, very tasty, thoroughly enjoyable.

That evening I went to a Hungry Horse pub, had a dish that was described in glowing terms on the menu which turned out to be poor ingredients not very well cooked or presented. To my surprise other customers were wolfing down the same fish and obviously enjoying it.

I wouldn't criticise other peoples preferences or want to impose my preferences on them I just think that people's tastes and preferences in food as well as anything else are all different. None of them wrong, just different.

So anyone for chateaubriand with Boulanger and cepes accompanied by a fine haute medoc To be enjoyed in tasteful surroundings with fine glassware and gleaming white napiary.

Alternatively good fish and chips out of a paper, arse sat in a cold stone wall, accompanied by an envious looking seagull.

Neither wrong or right, just different.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think that whatever our tastes, we would all agree that paying a lot for something that neither looks good on our plate nor tastes acceptable, isn't on.

In the context of which I became reacquainted with the unwholesome experience of dining at a TGI Friday's last night. My wallet is saying "fool" and my stomach is saying "traitor" :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think that whatever our tastes, we would all agree that paying a lot for something that neither looks good on our plate nor tastes acceptable, isn't on.

In the context of which I became reacquainted with the unwholesome experience of dining at a TGI Friday's last night. My wallet is saying "fool" and my stomach is saying "traitor" :(

Reacquainted?

You mean you've been before and you still went last night? :Eeek:

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
@ambulancekidd ... your mum was a fool .... she missed out on a load of love ..... . and do you realise just how brave you were? Big hug.

Thats very kind of you to say so. My childhood just made me determined to be stronger & every peny I've ever owned came from honest toil. Now just into retirement, I'll enjoy myself even more for as long as possible or health allows me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back