Does anyone have problems with cold smoke alarms (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I bought a mini smoke alarm for inside the van last year just as it was coming into winter. The problem was as the nights got colder the damn thing would start beeping all through the night. Eventually i gave up and took the battery out.
It was fine as the weather warmed up so i carried on with it. However, when I was in the uk recently i bought a regular sized alarm and guess what, it has started going off during the night as well, only this one goes off proper, not just a beep!
Does anyone have a reasonable explanation, could it be condensation...is there a better smoke alarm that would suffice?
Forgot to add, they both do the same even if they are tucked into a cupboard for the night???

Heres hoping (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cold batteries, no matter what type, are lower voltage in cold weather.

A new battery will solve the problem as the alarm will have a low voltage cutoff point of maybe 7v for a 9v battery.
if the battery is already low, say 7.5v, it will be even lower when cold

It sounds like the new alarm is set to sensitive or has a fault......bin it and buy better quality.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I agree with pappajohn, I had the same problem with a cold battery in the alarm fitted to my previous van, new bat & it was fine. I have even had the same problem with a dive computer switching off when jumping into cold water.:rolleyes:

Your new alarm does sound to be faulty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Ours is just inside the hab door and often goes off when the door is opened on a windy day :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back