Does anyone have any knowlege/experience of internet via satellite systems? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I know they are expensive, quoted £3500 to fit with 85cm dish and data packages vary based on data allowance. I am aware of the various other much cheaper options available via various devices and wifi.

So putting aside the cost, does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience of how well they actually work both at home and abroad?

Talking to a few dealers at NEC, it seems that you have to purchase the equipment and data package separately. That could be a problem, you could be sat on a site in Spain for instance, no internet and both suppliers (equipment and data) blaming each other for the problem.

Has anyone ever seen it in action?

Thanks

Steve

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
Robert Jackson was talking to me last year about it but I thought it was a bit expensive at the time. However now with the fact that we will be losing most of the british TV channels in Spain it will be worth a second look.
Mike

Jersey joe

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Jersey c I
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Satellite systems

I had one of these all singing all dancing Internet satellite systems fitted to my new van 12 months ago by the factory at great cost.
12 months on it has never been used,for two reasons:-
1 -the huge cost of subscribing to the provider.
2-I have never been in a position where I have needed it. Have 3g IPad and Wifi frequently available.
Anybody interested in buying it ! !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I looked at a system by Avonline and they thought I could have the gear in the RV and, when parked at home, use it in the house via WiFi.

This meant that I could save the cost of my current broadband as well as getting rid of the landline. There was even a way of getting SKY via the same dish!

At a quoted 20Mbps I was getting keen until I noticed that they broke the UK into 4 or 5 'footprints' and charged £25 every time you moved from one to another. This meant that my normal trip could cost an additional £75 to £100 by the time I got the connection reset back at home.

At this point I decided that the CC and C&CC internet fees are not too bad and, even if I use my mobile 'phone as a modem, I could not use that amount of money - shame though it looked good until I found that snag.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Robert Jackson was talking to me last year about it but I thought it was a bit expensive at the time. However now with the fact that we will be losing most of the british TV channels in Spain it will be worth a second look.
Mike

Interesting as I have never had a problem to date getting the UK channels on a 85cm dish........... and it has never been confirmed that we will loose the channels ( yes I know 5USA,5* have gone ), but BBC1 etc are fine.

John

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
oddly i have looked into this and found the equipment really expensive although you can get it for your house for as little as £299 yet just because its mounted on a flashy plate with a couple of motors they want nearly £3000 off you.
mention motorhome or yacht and the pound signs just roll on and on.
Broken Link Removed

get one of the house ones and mount it on a tripod like we do with the portable dishes and save £2700 for data

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi, i had a normal oyster 85 and built my own system. hardware from astra 2 connect (£299) and made a €20 aluminium bracket. i get 6mb download speed and 256 kb upload, 2 gb data p/month but unlimited albeit slow after that at no extra charge for £24.99 p/month from beyondsl. footprint is pretty good covers most of spain (using it here from denia) but not portugal , all scandinavia, and nearly all of eastern europe over to turkey . i carry a bigger dish as well and have used it (on a tripod) in northern morocco too. best thing is i can watch tv and have the internet at the same time from 2 separate satellites. all the best sean

Attachments

• internet ilnb 001.jpg
    internet ilnb 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 82
  • internet ilnb 002.jpg
    internet ilnb 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

nickbox

Free Member
May 22, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Seanoo

How did you work out the alignment on the bracket - presume your TV LNB is still being used by the oyster for the auto align? I'm trying something similar with a mobilsat dish and getting about 15db signal off 23.5 but no better.... The Astra2Connect lnb is central like yours with the TV offset.

Cheers

Nick

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure I could be bothered with lugging a portable set-up around and having to keep putting it out lining it up etc. Would be a pain if you wanted to get online while just stopping for a break/lunch etc.

So it seems a standard roof mounted 85cm dish with a £300 internet gizmo would be the way to go.

Steve

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Very slow - rather like dial-up - well it was on board the two cruise liners I have stayed on.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Fitted loads to answer your first question.

IP Copter left many people with ALDEN Systems in difficulty when they changed their service over to Astra2connect

This resulted in a lot of bad feeling. The Oyster system is good but ultimately low volume so expensive, as it the data use age which of course is out of Oysters control.

Unless Internet access is critical we normally try to steer our us tomes away from it.

Regards

Eddie

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Very slow - rather like dial-up - well it was on board the two cruise liners I have stayed on.

mines not slow oldun , you do have a small delay when you click on a webpage (1 second) and then i get my full 6mb download speed. i can upgrade to 10mb but 6 is fast enough for what i do. cheers sean

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi Seanoo

How did you work out the alignment on the bracket - presume your TV LNB is still being used by the oyster for the auto align? I'm trying something similar with a mobilsat dish and getting about 15db signal off 23.5 but no better.... The Astra2Connect lnb is central like yours with the TV offset.

Cheers

Nick

hi nick , sorry for the delay !
i manually aligned the dish on 23.5 with my meter then placed the tv lnb roughly in the right place on the bracket i made then attached the meter to this and adjusted until i got full strength. the tv lnb will need to be roughly 30mm higher than the ilnb. give me a pm if you need any more info, all the best sean

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Fitted loads to answer your first question.

IP Copter left many people with ALDEN Systems in difficulty when they changed their service over to Astra2connect

This resulted in a lot of bad feeling. The Oyster system is good but ultimately low volume so expensive, as it the data use age which of course is out of Oysters control.

Unless Internet access is critical we normally try to steer our us tomes away from it.

Regards

Eddie

Eddie has the situation changed much in the 2 years since this post?

I am looking for a solution for high use internet coverage throughout all of Europe including the furtherest tip of Spain and Portugal.

Gary & Ann

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie has the situation changed much in the 2 years since this post?

I am looking for a solution for high use internet coverage throughout all of Europe including the furtherest tip of Spain and Portugal.

Gary & Ann
Yes, the market has opened up and the Oyster system is no longer sold "locked" to IPCopter to allow you to shop around for the best deals..

Because of this we are seeing more people paying the extra to have the Internet option when we install their Oyster

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have not used that system myself but I was talking to Old Mo last year in Portugal and he had one on the roof, give him a PM he might be able to advise. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back