Does anyone actually use cruise control? (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have tried many times to use the cruise control on our cars and motorhome, yet cant get the feeling that the vehicle is slightly out of control from my mind. I know I have friends who use it all the time and wouldn't be without, but I never feel happy when its on. It just makes me nervous. How does everyone else feel? Is it me? Am I being paranoid?

I think you asked a question and answered it in one post. Be guided by your friends recommendations but if you don't like it yourself, don't use it. You are not paranoid.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I use it on dual carriageway & motorways. It certainly helps with mpg & prevents speeding with a heavy vehicle especially when towing, but I know what you mean. When it's 'on' I feel myself reading the road more intently knowing that there is that split second before its off. I normally find my right foot hovering over the brake pedal to tap it off.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I use ours quite a bit where possible but never use it in the rain, very dangerous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I use it in the car. Don't have it in the camper

In the car I use it for long empty roads for comfort, in roadworks to protect my licence and on busy roads for safety as I can cover the brake continously letting the car worry about keeping me moving at a steady pace.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
They do.......

But it was/is a simple hand throttle...similar to the old style manual choke knob.....further you pull out the lever the faster you go.

A real technological breakthrough.........100 years ago.

As did my 1st car a 1940's Morris e-type which had suicide front doors, cable brakes
clear.png
which faded alarmingly quickly when going downhill:Eeek: and built in hydraulic jacks :rofl::rofl::rofl:

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
i'v got an automatic car with cruise control but when your going down hill it will change down to slow you down it drives me crazy.. what happens with a manuel ? does it brake to slow you down ??

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use it at every opportunity especially in my car which is auto. Brilliant bit of kit.

There's a cruise control game. Not that I've ever played it or condone it of course :whistle:

All you need to do it find the highest speed you can activate your cruise control. You have to cover at least a mile with it on for it to count.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Never in the motorhome for the same reason as given in the OP.

I use it in the car a lot though as it has one of those gizmo's that controls the distance between you and the car in front. If traffic slows, you slow with it.
Bit of a leap at first though isnt it!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They do.......

But it was/is a simple hand throttle...similar to the old style manual choke knob.....further you pull out the lever the faster you go.

A real technological breakthrough.........100 years ago.

Nothing wrong with a nice simple hand throttle !

i'v got an automatic car with cruise control but when your going down hill it will change down to slow you down it drives me crazy.. what happens with a manuel ? does it brake to slow you down ??

& if you haven't got cc on & brake for a period going downhill it does exactly the same , changes down. :LOL:

I think the very newest manual cars with cc have a braking facility on downhill sections if the speed picks up.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We find its really useful on long journeys, you know when it gets a bit boring so you have a wander down the motorhome to streach your legs, make a cup of tea or use the on board facilities. Of course I'm not driving so can do that anytime but when martin needs a rest from driving he hits the cruise control button, I reach over and grab the steering wheel and half an hour later he comes back refreshed. It's brilliant.

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
does anyone use when wedge out steering wheel and you can make a cup of tea when driving along hope no one pulls out on you?

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Don't ave my Moho yet but I will use it. I have been using it for 15 years on my car from 20mph to 70 mph. Really p1$$es off the to$$ers who want to go faster than 20mph when the school restriction speed limits are on.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
As Puddleduck said, invaluable for someone with 'leg' problems. Had a system fitted to the previous van that allowed two speed settings, which was nice. Never use it to get back to set speed, it's called Cruise Control.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Use it all the time in both car and MH.....in fact I paid to have cruise control fitted to MH
as an after purchase extra!!!!

GeeMags

Free Member
Jul 15, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLT
Exp
Since 2006
Great for European roads in France and Spain. On our 3 litre auto fiat, cruise control set at 2000 revs = 32-33 mpg on average, coupled with relaxed driving in between the tolls.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use mine occasionally in the car but use the speed limiter all the time in the motorhome. Ensures I keep to the speed limits without constant speedo watching, especially in those very low speed limits in France 20kph, have even seen 15kph.
I find the speed limiter more useful than actual cruise control, and while the MH has both, my car only has cruise control.:frowny:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
When I change my car or MH the first criteria on the list is cruise control. An earlier respondent humoursly mentioned only using it when they go to the loo; I use it when I need a nap.

Adaptive cruise control is even better but I can't afford that - maybe next time.

pizzajohn

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
newton abbot
Funster No
MH
on order
Exp
i'm a newbie
I always mine on my Fiat based Auto-Trail but it appears to sometimes lose its memory and I'm unsure whether it's me (misuse) or the thing itself!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I sympathise with the OP & the 'lack of control' feeling. It's only when you start using cruise control that you realise just how many minor speed adjustments you do make in normal driving.

The current Fiat system is pretty good. It is easy to make speed adjustments up & down & it's a touch of the button on the end of the stalk to disengage. I had it on a Saab automatic some years ago that had a really awkward disengage operation. I think they expected you to disengage by dabbing the brake, which I hate as it sends a misleading signal to following traffic.

I do agree with the earlier comment about braking on motorways. On the rare occasion I have to use the brake on a motorway I generally give myself a telling off for not paying sufficient attention to what was going on around me.

Do I use it? Yes, mostly on dual carriageways & motorways. Sometimes on single carriageways in light traffic & where the road allows a constant speed. Very useful in those long 50mph roadworks sections with the average speed cameras.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Use it on the car and motorhome. Fantastic device. You do need to look ahead and plan your journey though especially when catching trucks. I like to cruise around the 60 mark which is good for fuel in my Peugeot and keeps bme below lots of sped limits. Also use it when I am in those average speed limit areas or when in an empty road works lane. Probably saved me several speeding tickets over the years

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
I wouldn't have a MH or car these days without one. The slightest touch of the clutch (and it is a slight touch, not enough to do anything other than disconnect the cruise) or brakes in my Fiat ducato disconnects it so in traffic, touch the clutch, no brake lights to confuse following vehicles, and re engage when new speed is reached after normal engine braking. Very relaxing, no aching right foot on long trips. Brilliant. Try one, you won't go back.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
When I change my car or MH the first criteria on the list is cruise control. An earlier respondent humoursly mentioned only using it when they go to the loo; I use it when I need a nap.

Adaptive cruise control is even better but I can't afford that - maybe next time.

Yes very funny but some years back a Yank female did just that. Having collected their new MH she engaged the CC and went back to make a cup of coffee:rolleyes:. Apparently when explaining the CC the salesman commented "it drives itself madam" so she let it:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back