Does anyone actually use cruise control? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
They do.......

But it was/is a simple hand throttle...similar to the old style manual choke knob.....further you pull out the lever the faster you go.

A real technological breakthrough.........100 years ago.
Yes quite right, I knew a girl years ago with a Polski FIAT, (special type of junk heap) it was fitted to that. Hmmmm now that was dangerous........and does explain some of that behaviour in Russia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have tried many times to use the cruise control on our cars and motorhome, yet cant get the feeling that the vehicle is slightly out of control from my mind. I know I have friends who use it all the time and wouldn't be without, but I never feel happy when its on. It just makes me nervous. How does everyone else feel? Is it me? Am I being paranoid?
I think you should persevere, it does feel strange at first, but when you get used to it, you'll wonder what all the nervousness was all about. It cancels at the touch of a button, or the dab of the brake, so should never feel out of control.

Craig

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have it as standard on the car together with Maximum speed control and use it all the time both around town and on the run
will be fitting one on the MoHo next year ,Had one on the last van and great on the long stretches (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think you should persevere, it does feel strange at first, but when you get used to it, you'll wonder what all the nervousness was all about. It cancels at the touch of a button, or the dab of the brake, so should never feel out of control.

Craig
Agreed, I think the thing that was most unnerving for me when I first used it was the acceleration up a hill to maintain speed when your brain is telling you that the vehicle should be slowing down. Everything you have learned is telling you to hit the gas, but the vehicle is doing it for you, coming down hill was the next one, the vehicle backing off so you get automatic engine braking, that is very wierd. But stick at it, and try to train your feet to stay off the pedals. The slightest touch of clutch or brake disengages the system.
Personally I love the Ducato cruise, get up to speed, and then lift the lever or push it down to fine tune the speed. I hate to say it, but it is far superior to the Vauxhall system, I always end up switching an indicator on in the car when I adjust the speed! :LOL:

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Brilliant piece of kit, far from making me nervous it makes keeping to the speed limit easy. The alternative would likely be points on the license and money from fines. Highly recommended. (y)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Agreed, I think the thing that was most unnerving for me when I first used it was the acceleration up a hill to maintain speed when your brain is telling you that the vehicle should be slowing down. Everything you have learned is telling you to hit the gas, but the vehicle is doing it for you, coming down hill was the next one, the vehicle backing off so you get automatic engine braking, that is very wierd. But stick at it, and try to train your feet to stay off the pedals. The slightest touch of clutch or brake disengages the system.
Personally I love the Ducato cruise, get up to speed, and then lift the lever or push it down to fine tune the speed. I hate to say it, but it is far superior to the Vauxhall system, I always end up switching an indicator on in the car when I adjust the speed! :LOL:
I must confess that on steep hills, in fact, most hills, in the RV, i cancel the cc and take over the climb suitable to the conditions.
Some inclines are too much to maintain a set speed, and the vehicle will rev it's nuts off trying to keep up, which is unnecessary.
Also when i 'resume' the cc, i do it when i am within 1 or 2 mph of the set speed otherwise the vehicle will again race to be at the pre-set speed. Not needed and not economical.
For instance, if i have been travelling at 55mph in the RV, which is my normal speed, and come to a roundabout, i will accelerate very gently afterwards, until i am almost 55mph, then engage the resume button, very little racing from the engine then. And the same with inclines, if there is no way the RV is going to climb at 55mph, knock it off and drive up at a sensible speed, resuming cc again when i am almost at cruising speed.

Craig

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ah yes, I should have twigged, being an RV you're auto aren't you? Both my vehicles are manual. I re-engage the CC on both when I am in 6th gear, and let the CC finish the acceleration. I have found CC on an auto seems to try to violently get back to speed, using kickdown and silly amounts of revs.
CC in a manual doesn't have the option to change gears, so even at full throttle in 6th gear in the van, the acceleration is hardly earth shattering! :LOL:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Never in the motorhome for the same reason as given in the OP.

I use it in the car a lot though as it has one of those gizmo's that controls the distance between you and the car in front. If traffic slows, you slow with it.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Wow! Looks like I will have to stick at it and get used to it. I think maybe on busy stretches of motorway I might have the biggest problem, but in France I can see it would be a boon.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Wow! Looks like I will have to stick at it and get used to it. I think maybe on busy stretches of motorway I might have the biggest problem, but in France I can see it would be a boon.
Even on a busy motorway it should not prove a problem, you need to have good forward planning, the words of one of my instructors from my advanced driving course always sticks in my mind: "when on the motorway in free flowing traffic you should never have to brake!"
If you plan ahead, you can maintain a steady speed, by simply being aware of what is going on up ahead, and knowing where the breaks in the traffic are behind you to allow you to overtake. I could put up several demonstration videos, but they'd be the dullest viewing on earth! Videos of totally uneventful driving! :LOL:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Ah yes, I should have twigged, being an RV you're auto aren't you? Both my vehicles are manual. I re-engage the CC on both when I am in 6th gear, and let the CC finish the acceleration. I have found CC on an auto seems to try to violently get back to speed, using kickdown and silly amounts of revs.
CC in a manual doesn't have the option to change gears, so even at full throttle in 6th gear in the van, the acceleration is hardly earth shattering! :LOL:
Yes, i have had autos most of the time. But, with a manual box, it's the same. When you get to your cruise speed, activate the cc.

Craig

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Another vote from me. Don't use it in the car as not usually on suitable journeys but for m/h wouldn't be without it. Had to have it retro fitted (Thanks Dave Newell) as driving those kind of distances without was just SO uncomfortable. Getting used to it is a skill like any other driving skill and so much better since fitting it.

Wyn

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I use it all the time.......... fantastic (y) mind you, I do find myself looking for the 'auto pilot' switch sometimes (aeroplanes are just so much easier) :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Use it all the time, on the car the little wheel thingy on the steering wheel is now very worn due to heavy use, it becomes a habit. On the MH it's not quite as user friendly, in that it needs turning on each time and as its a manual gearbox, every time the clutch is touched it disengages. However would not buy a vehicle without it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Stories have been told of individuals in the US in a Winnebago selecting what they thought was "autopilot" and heading off to the bathroom only to come to a sticky end :rolleyes:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
First few times I used it I felt like you not in control, but with practice ( little and often) have one gotten used to it and use it on all dual carriage roads

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
As with quite a few above, whenever possible.
I try to use it in the average speed roadworks sections, but frequently find I have to knock it off if it's busy. This is due to those who brake every time they come to a camera pole, slowing everything down (always car drivers, worse on a Saturday and Sunday).

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As with quite a few above, whenever possible.
I try to use it in the average speed roadworks sections, but frequently find I have to knock it off if it's busy. This is due to those who brake every time they come to a camera pole, slowing everything down (always car drivers, worse on a Saturday and Sunday).
Is it just me, or do you want to go and beat them over the head with a maths book?
Actually, my favourites are the drivers who tear through to 50mph average camera stretches at well in excess of 70, but brake down to 50 for the cameras. I'd love to be at their house when the NIP arrives :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back