Does a standard Thetford cassette fit the spigot under my Laika? (1 Viewer)

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Hello,
I have a 1998 Laika, I think it's an Ecovip 2.1 but it's referred to as different things in different places in the paperwork.

It has a marine tank for the toilet waste. A small tank of about 16.5 litres can be dropped into a large storage tank of about 40 litres. The large tank is emptied via a 75mm drain pipe. The smaller tank can either be emptied into the larger tank or via a spigot under the van that will take (I'm guessing) a standard Thetford cassette.

I know I'm posting on a Laika forum so you all probably already know that information (sorry to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, etc.) but I wanted to make my set up clear.

And now we come to the question:
I don't have a cassette and am thinking of buying one. Does any standard Thetford cassette fit on the spigot?

Just to sneak in another question:
If yes; surely the sliding fitting on the top of the cassette isn't designed to take the whole weight of a full cassette as they are usually supported underneath when installed?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

OP
OP
Zebra

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Thanks Lenny. Hmmmm.... not sure how it can be supported. The spigot just sticks down from the bottom of the tank into thin air; not very supportive thin air!
I've been quoted £250 ex VAT and delivery for a 'Laika' one but in the picture it looks just like a standard Thetford but maybe the fitting is stronger? Either way, I had to have a lie down in a darkened room after reading the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just for emptying you might get away with it but Thetford ones are 100 quid so expensive if splits & could get messy.

OP
OP
Zebra

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Yes, ‘release main ballast’ is not an action I wish to undertake at random intervals.

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi have you got sorted ok if not let me know I've had a laika fir many years and love it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Zebra

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Hi John,
No, not really but I haven't been anywhere where I need the cassette option recently so it hasn't been a problem. In addition (if you have a Laika you'll know what I'm about to talk about), the handle next to the toilet that empties the small 'cassette sized tank' into the larger holding tank came off a couple of weeks ago. Luckily it came off in the open position. Anyway it now means that, until I can repair it, letting a measured volume into a cassette is currently not possible. It's not a job I'm looking forward to but the blade on the toilet leaks too so maybe a toilet system rebuild is on the cards..... Nice.....

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Only just seen your post.
I have a cassette that fits ok it came with the motorhome when I bought it so I don't know much about it I'll have a look next time I pop out to open it.
When i first purchased ours the pipe next to the cassette connector was broken so I popped over to CAK tanks (I know what a name ) they removed it and sorted a connection that you fix a flexible hose to, I've never used it with the pipe connected I just pull the lever and the tank empties into the grill you get at some sites for black water.
I worried about the control lever to open and close the top tank onto the bottom tank I had to phone the guy I bought it off to ask what it was for and he told me what it did but said he never used it so I leave mine open because i am afraid of doing just what you did.
We have had ours for ten years now a love it, it's a low profile and easy to drive I've driven it all over France, Germany and to Croatia.
Let me know how you get on fixing your broken lever i might need to do the same some time.
I'll take a picture of my cassette and post it here when I get the chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back