Does a solar panel charge the vehicle battery? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Sorry for asking what is probably a question to which I really should know the answer, but does a solar panel fitted by a dealer (Elite Motorhomes to my Carthago) usually charge the vehicle battery as well as the hab batteries? Just thought I would ask here before I make a silly of myself asking the dealers. Thanks,
Bob.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You may need to ask Elite, Bob, as there is more than one way to install, with or without charging the starter battery. Chances are that it will do, from the solar controller. It should have two sets of output, one to the habitation battery(ies) and the other to the starter battery.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The panels on our Carthago were fitted by the dealer and they didn't charge the vehicle battery. Actually they didn't charge the hab batteries either but that's another story and it was soon fixed.
As we were going to VanBitz we had them fit a Batterymaster while they fitted the Growler.
No more problems.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Mine didn't on my Hymer.

I bought a Batterymaster and had it fitted by someone who knows about electrics (ie, not me).

Works a treat.

Pete

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Get a solar charger that dose two batteries.
You can set them how you want 10% to 100% .
As you need more to the house batteries.
I have one up for sale take a look it has a meter so you can see.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had our solar panel fitted by Dave Newell and if I remember right he asked how we wanted to charge to be split between both sets of batteries

I think we agreed 10% to the vehicle battery

So i assume it can be set u in lots of different ways.

All I know it works a treat :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Vanbitz fitted mine. Just charges hab batts and have the battery master for the cab.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I fitted ours myself and used the recommended connector for my control unit and it therefore charges both hab and engine batteries, but if I hadn't it would only do the latter. You either need to have a shuftie yourself at where the wiring goes or just ask them!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As you can see its not a straight answer to what you thought was going to be a simple question.

One thing you could try is reading the cab battery voltage after it has been stood for a day or even a week, if the voltage is anything over 12.7 (should really be 13+ to 14) it suggests that there is something charging the cab battery.

Martin

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Carthago use the CBE system. When on EHU the system charges both the engine and leisure batteries but gives more charging current to the leisure batteries.

If your solar is routed via the CBE system then I guess it will charge both the engine and leisure batteries.

It would be worth checking with your Dealer how he has wired up the system, either via the CBE or direct to the leisure batteries (or even the engine battery or both).

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I should’ve added that, if your SP only charges the habitation battery, it’s an easy addition to install a BatteryMaster (or one of the many alternatives) to pass charge to the vehicle battery.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
In our Chasson 626 Flash, Elite Caravans (not Elite Motorhomes) fitted an 80 v SP and the charge in the Chasson is split (using a SOLAR Tec. Int Charge Controller) so it firstly tops up the Ducato battery and after having reached 80% then charges the hab batt and the motor battery equally.

Worked a treat in the winter of 15-16 but is haywire this winter and for some reason the hab batt is receiving no charge at all. We have an ongoing post on this website which has been v. helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back