Does 3 work in Cornwall & related questions. (1 Viewer)

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to M.H.ing and this site.

It is really great, lots of tips already.

Going to Cornwall and Devon on 6/6/11 and need access to web for banking. Prefer to access through my laptop in MH than wifi supplied by sites. Anyone know if 3 works in places such as Bodmin, Fowey Salcombe etc. Checked 3 for campsite post code coverage and it can be ok for mobile but not broadband.

I have a samsung galaxy S on 3, but don't fancy using it for banking, due to lack of security.
So thinking of a 3 dongle but will it work and how slow are they?
Also I have the Dell Studio laptop that can take a sim card, I think it was JJ who stated he used the sim out of his 3 dongle in his laptop.
I guess you can see I am not up to speed on these matters, can anyone advise please?

Thanks for reading this, any advice would be very welcome.

Carol

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
3 is available in Devon. However, Devon and Cornwall are very hilly places so you may have problems at sea level. Our site in North Devon has no problem, you just have to pick sites on higher ground.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Only problem you may encounter on the north cost, is 3's habit of finding the signal from Ireland! You will usually notice a drop in strength when it does this - only seems to effect the coastal villages on the north coast - probably because a hill behind means it is the first signal it locks onto.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We use a 3 MiFi Dongle in St Austell area without any problems.

Thank you for your helpful reply, can I ask which of all the 3 devices you have?
We are going away for 10/7 or so and it will be light use only. Have cable at home so it will be used infrequently, but, I want it to work with alacrity when it does. Mifi sounds good if a tad OTT for my needs. Any further thoughts, what made you plump you on 3 mifi.
Thanks once again,
Carol

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thank you for your helpful reply, can I ask which of all the 3 devices you have?
We are going away for 10/7 or so and it will be light use only. Have cable at home so it will be used infrequently, but, I want it to work with alacrity when it does. Mifi sounds good if a tad OTT for my needs. Any further thoughts, what made you plump you on 3 mifi.
Thanks once again,
Carol

We just use the 3 MiFi dongle - as we have a laptop each it means we can both be on-line at the same time but only pay for one connection.

Previous to that I used a T-Mobile dongle on a very cheap data only contract and Rex had a 3 dongle on PAYG. My contract expired and the rates went up so we decided to have just the one provider. 3 had proved to be better than T-mobile on our travels around UK so we plumped for that and bought the MiFi dongle.
As we're only in the UK for 6 months of the year it doesn't pay to have a contract unless it's ridiculously cheap as my initial one was.

OP
OP
C

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you very much for your time and trouble. :thumb:
Yes in your situation it obviously does make sense and I am tempted. I am going to speak to 3 and see if I can wangle a deal, after all they keep trying to sell me things.

Are you at Doubletrees, if so how is it down there? Thinking of going there next week, not booked in though, think it should be quieter by then after half term.

cheers, Carol

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thank you very much for your time and trouble. :thumb:
Yes in your situation it obviously does make sense and I am tempted. I am going to speak to 3 and see if I can wangle a deal, after all they keep trying to sell me things.

Are you at Doubletrees, if so how is it down there? Thinking of going there next week, not booked in though, think it should be quieter by then after half term.

cheers, Carol

We've left Doubletrees now - we're in Oxford and going to Stratford Show tomorrow for the weekend.

It was lovely at Doubletrees - very quiet even though there was a caravan rally on. Should be plenty of room for you!:Smile:

It's within walking distance of Eden Project and also close to the bus stop for St Austell, Mevagissey and Fowey - very handy place to stay!

We're going back for a few weeks in August.

OP
OP
C

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the info again. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Hope to visit the Eden project on a cool day next week the predicted North easterlies might help.
Just contacted 3 and have got the basic dongle coming with just 1gb, hopefully it works ok.
Cheers, Carol

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the info again. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Hope to visit the Eden project on a cool day next week the predicted North easterlies might help.
Just contacted 3 and have got the basic dongle coming with just 1gb, hopefully it works ok.
Cheers, Carol

If you walk to the Eden Project you get £4 off the admission fee! :thumb:It's about 1 mile - uphill going - downhill coming back!
You can get a shuttle bus back up to the car park for the walk home too!
Can recommend the Pasties in their restaurants!!:thumb::thumb:
If you need any more info about around there give me a shout! It's a regular stamping ground of ours!!:roflmto:

OP
OP
C

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks once again, Marie. I realised the Eden project was near but not that close...great.
Thanks for the offer of advice, may take you up on that. :thumb::thumb:
All the best

Carol

OP
OP
C

capers

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
Goring by Sea Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We use a 3 MiFi Dongle in St Austell area without any problems.
Well have returned from our travels in Cornwall & Devon now and am pleased to report that the 3 dongle worked very well for us.
We were mostly sited on high ground.
It was not good in Bodmin but the site had wifi so could have used that, our next stop was Pentire headland car park @ Newquay and all was well.
So thanks to Marie and other funsters for your advice. :Smile:
Carol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back