Dodgy MH Dealership (any legals out there please?) (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
O.k so the place I bought my MH from less than 10 days ago sent me away in a vehicle that was in an illegal condition for the road and potentially dangerous.

In addition they've apparently done zero checks/work during the 3 weeks they made me wait to collect it (like the promised MOT, hab check, gas safety, service, valet e.t.c). Theyve obviously just ticked the boxes on the pre-purchase inspection sheet without even being in the vehicle. They have for sure knowingly not fixed things the previous private owner told them it needed when they bought it from him (ive had numerous conversations with the previous private owner as id tried to buy it from him in the first place before this MH dealership beat me to it). The Oyster dish needs a new £900 main board and doesnt even move (yet its also ticked off as working).
The list of faults, that should all of been spotted, (if theyd actually done any checks) and rectified before selling the vehicle is long and will probably cost around £3000. Given they stuck £14,000 on top of the price they actually paid for the MH from the private seller, I think they are more taking the mickey. Ironically they refused to move on their asking price too because they reeled off that they had to take in to account the cost of servicing, pre-purchase checks, mot, warranty costs e.t.c. (non of which theyve even done).

They make all the right "noises", in terms of promising to order me this and that, have someone fix things, get it MOT'd, send me the so far non-extent warranty paperwork e.t.c. but I am almost entirely certain they're just trying to keep the clock ticking to delay until my right to return it for a full refund within 30 days expires.

Its all extremely polite at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way for now for the SLIM chance they might actually honour something or fix something.

Its a fantastic van, I have no desire to return it. All the faults are just things that any dealer with a conscience would easily and quickly put right. But having already paid £14k over the odds its a bit much to have to spend another £3k+ to put everything right myself.

This is a large, well presented MH business and not some small back street garage. They actually sell a number of MH brands from new (who I assume would be interested to hear how this seller conducts themselves representing their brand name?)

So far ive kept all conversations about my issues with the MH documented via email, (which when i asked one of their agents for they said they dont give out?! A business that doesnt give out its email address? Probably to ensure there's no written record of complaints I assume).
I've listed all the faults and taken photos of the most serious ones (mainly the tyres which are all over 10 years old, cracked sidewalls and not one of them had anywhere near enough air in. One had 20psi when i checked it the next day! N/S main and dip HID bulb is also blown and was black taped in place).

Before i end up reporting them to trading standards? What are my best options please? I just want them to honour their warranty and legal obligation so I can get on with enjoying my MH.
The dealership is 300 miles away and its unsafe and illegal to drive it back to them currently. They knew I was driving it 300 miles back to Scotland once I'd collected it and still sent me off with it in this condition. They couldnt even be bothered to top the coolant up, which was 2" below the minimum and the screenwash was completely empty too.
So far, out of the £14k mark up they put on this MH, their only outlay has been to spray blackner on the tyres and silicon on the dash to make them look shiny.

Thanks.
(and yes, I'm up at 3am because i cant sleep worrying about it!)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Beats me why you paid £14k more than the original sellers asking price?
£2k or £3k maybe... But £14k!!!
Actually the £14k is irrelevant in my view as the OP was happy to pay the price he bought it for.
If it wasn’t presented to you as agreed they should either make good their promise or take it back. You cannot have your cake and eat it by wanting to keep it if the work to the vehicle is not completed by them or getting an assurance that the will pay for it. Excepting that you may not have been as thorough as you might have been at hand over as you are not the expert - they are so don’t beat yourself up over it. My counsel would be not to have the work done by others unless they have agreed the work and cost - not much point in doing it and then retrospectively asking for the cost. Or have it done by others and then take it on the chin.
Not exclusive to Motorhome or car dealers, happens to a lot of businesses that sell to a consumer from building projects to buying a washing machine. Make up your mind what you want the outcome to be, have an alternative plan B if need be and try to get to the point of enjoying it, or another Motorhome soon. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
my Advice for what it’s worth would be to try and forget the £14k margin that the dealer has made.
If you was happy to pay their asking price before collecting the van, you can’t complain about that afterwards.
It’s annoying to find out after the event, but that’s the issue, it’s after the event.
I was once chasing after a Dethleffs XXL and the private seller had just sold it to a dealer at the other end of the country and he told me how much it went for.
I waited a week or so and the same van was then advertised by a car dealer for about £12k more.
It was still for sale a short time ago as I saw it on EBay.
However, I wasn’t prepared to pay the dealers asking price to went elsewhere.
For your situation, I would be looking to have a conversation with the dealer as to how you can go about fixing the issues that need repairing.
Like your tyres, I feel you should have checked these before buying.
If you did and they were ok but then the dealer had swapped them and they’re all in a poor state now, then you have grounds to complain.
Likes of your sat dish, if they’ve said it was working but isn’t, then you should pursue them for fixing.
However, you’re going to have to let them do the repairs and rectify.
I wouldn’t sort yourself and submit the invoice to them.
If your conversation extends to getting a refund, personally, I would return the van, get my money and walk away.
However, I don’t think the dealer will agree to a refund.

Personally, I wouldn’t be happy sucking it up and paying another £3k to sort out what I expected to work after paying £80k for something.
However, I wouldn’t review or name the dealer until you have exhausted all other avenues and when you do review them, stick to the facts.

For the rest of us, this just goes to show that you have to do your homework before committing to the purchase of a motorhome and ensure you check and test everything on/in the Motorhome before you part with your cash. That way, you have the option of walking away with no financial outlay to the seller.

I really do hope you get the issues sorted and can start to enjoy your Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tcamper1963

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Hebden Bridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
O.k so the place I bought my MH from less than 10 days ago sent me away in a vehicle that was in an illegal condition for the road and potentially dangerous.

In addition they've apparently done zero checks/work during the 3 weeks they made me wait to collect it (like the promised MOT, hab check, gas safety, service, valet e.t.c). Theyve obviously just ticked the boxes on the pre-purchase inspection sheet without even being in the vehicle. They have for sure knowingly not fixed things the previous private owner told them it needed when they bought it from him (ive had numerous conversations with the previous private owner as id tried to buy it from him in the first place before this MH dealership beat me to it). The Oyster dish needs a new £900 main board and doesnt even move (yet its also ticked off as working).
The list of faults, that should all of been spotted, (if theyd actually done any checks) and rectified before selling the vehicle is long and will probably cost around £3000. Given they stuck £14,000 on top of the price they actually paid for the MH from the private seller, I think they are more taking the mickey. Ironically they refused to move on their asking price too because they reeled off that they had to take in to account the cost of servicing, pre-purchase checks, mot, warranty costs e.t.c. (non of which theyve even done).

They make all the right "noises", in terms of promising to order me this and that, have someone fix things, get it MOT'd, send me the so far non-extent warranty paperwork e.t.c. but I am almost entirely certain they're just trying to keep the clock ticking to delay until my right to return it for a full refund within 30 days expires.

Its all extremely polite at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way for now for the SLIM chance they might actually honour something or fix something.

Its a fantastic van, I have no desire to return it. All the faults are just things that any dealer with a conscience would easily and quickly put right. But having already paid £14k over the odds its a bit much to have to spend another £3k+ to put everything right myself.

This is a large, well presented MH business and not some small back street garage. They actually sell a number of MH brands from new (who I assume would be interested to hear how this seller conducts themselves representing their brand name?)

So far ive kept all conversations about my issues with the MH documented via email, (which when i asked one of their agents for they said they dont give out?! A business that doesnt give out its email address? Probably to ensure there's no written record of complaints I assume).
I've listed all the faults and taken photos of the most serious ones (mainly the tyres which are all over 10 years old, cracked sidewalls and not one of them had anywhere near enough air in. One had 20psi when i checked it the next day! N/S main and dip HID bulb is also blown and was black taped in place).

Before i end up reporting them to trading standards? What are my best options please? I just want them to honour their warranty and legal obligation so I can get on with enjoying my MH.
The dealership is 300 miles away and its unsafe and illegal to drive it back to them currently. They knew I was driving it 300 miles back to Scotland once I'd collected it and still sent me off with it in this condition. They couldnt even be bothered to top the coolant up, which was 2" below the minimum and the screenwash was completely empty too.
So far, out of the £14k mark up they put on this MH, their only outlay has been to spray blackner on the tyres and silicon on the dash to make them look shiny.

Thanks.
Hi,
I bought a symbol autosleeper from a reputable dealer, which cost £35k.
Similar carry on, they made me wait 6 weeks to allegedly do all the habitation checks etc plus an MOT...
Well long story short they simply cannot have done the habitation check...I sent them numerous emails in the first 2 weeks logging everything that was wrong...then I asked to return the vehicle for a full refund....and guess what they agreed!!! Saying they didn't want unhappy customers.
I did indeed return the van and did indeed receive a full refund.
I hope you get it all sorted, the problem being that all repair shops are overworked and there is a lack of spares!
If you want to keep the van get them to agree in writing to ALL the repairs that you require otherwise it will simply drag on to the point where you have both forgotten what you were meant to be fixing!
Hope that helps. .

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I paid £10k on a van...I know it's small fry.....

But I found the weight classification was wrong....4.1t (£140 to fix)

The speed limiter was restricting it to 62mph £250 to fix

The dpf was blocked (£500 to fix)

Perhaps I should take it back....

Or just move on and realise there are bigger things in life to worry about ( sat in van on parents drive after dad has had a stroke.)

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I paid £10k on a van...I know it's small fry.....

But I found the weight classification was wrong....4.1t (£140 to fix)

The speed limiter was restricting it to 62mph £250 to fix

The dpf was blocked (£500 to fix)

Perhaps I should take it back....

Or just move on and realise there are bigger things in life to worry about ( sat in van on parents drive after dad has had a stroke.)

Cheers James
Did you pay extra though for everything to be checked? (Serviced, MOT and Hab check) and did you buy it from a reputable dealer/garage?
If the OP had bought his van for an eighth of what he paid from a guy selling on Gumtree on a bought as seen, I would agree with you.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Burford
Exp
I feel your pain, I bought a MH from a trader, being inexperienced I trusted his knowledge.. I then found it was effec scrap with aluminium cancer all round the body and rotten timbers. I wasted money on an inspection which stated it was unsafe to sleep in, further money wasted on a solicitor and Trading Standards didn’t want to know. I ended up forcing a buy back at a loss of £6000 which equated to £2000 per night of use.
You feel cheated but are pretty much on your own, if the van fits your desires then pay up enjoy the van and warn others away at every chance, there are many good traders out there

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It appears that the OP is in England and the dealer in Scotland. So where was the contract of sale made? Which laws apply to it?

Everyone seems to assume that the legal systems are the same both sides of the border. No, they are different. As a (former) English solicitor my initial reaction is that the legals are outside my jurisidiction or competence. I would have referred the OP to a Scottish solicitor.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
O.k so the place I bought my MH from less than 10 days ago

The dealership is 300 miles away and its unsafe and illegal to drive it back to them currently. They knew I was driving it 300 miles back to Scotland once I'd collected it and still sent me off with it in this condition.

It appears that the OP is in England and the dealer in Scotland. So where was the contract of sale made? Which laws apply to it?
Think that is the other way round SpeedyDux

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2020
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Camper vans for 20 years until 2020 when we bought our first motorhome
It is not for me to tell Calm Seas what to do or what he should have done, but sometimes it helps to hear other's experiences, and I suspect, as others have hinted at, in discussing this, Calm Seas has probably come to his own conclusions. It's good to talk! These forums are so invaluable.

I also paid over the odds for a motorhome last year (but who didn't - the market was going crazy). It was a 2004, and a cursory inspection showed there was plenty of corrosion in the under cab (a common problem with Peugeot Boxers). But it was just what we wanted, they were like hen's teeth, and it meant we could go on holiday with our son and family later that month, which after not seeing them for months due to lock down was gold. I also know a guy who is a very reasonably priced can-do brilliant car mechanic so I took a punt that it was repairable (there's not much that this guy cannot do). He replaced a cross member, which needed modifying, and did loads of welding and rust proofing for £800 (a large MH repair business would have charged thousands and not done it so well) and now it is good for another 20 years. (Unlike me!)

So I suppose I am leaning towards the "bite the bullet" approach. And I am with Dickens in my avoidance of solicitors. I have had nothing but bad experiences over the decades with solicitors, but very very rarely a problem with motor dealers. (Sorry any solicitors out there reading this, I am sure there are many excellent ones, but that is my experience.)

As a postscript, I know it is the right thing to do to not name the company, morally as well as from the perspective of not getting sued for libel, but it would be useful to have a directory of bad dealers. The problem of course is that it might be mis-used by competitors trying to score one over their rivals. But I'd be interested in what others think.

Calm Seas, I hope you have plain sailing and fair winds from now on.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2017
Newark
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
Since 1993
I agree with the sensible comments from Jim and Eddie (apart from the note reference to boats and flying) you would need a value of note way higher than available atm!!
If you go down the legal route, every hour billed will be 10% (at least!) of the repair cost quoted. In 2006 the three firms of solicitors I represented charged £360 an hour minimum!
So you will be more stressed, frustrated, and skint. But no further forward.
Look at the positives, you have a van you like, a sat dish you don’t need, remove and gain payload.
Consider what you are prepared to resolve/repair/replace yourself cheaply and quickly. Therefore putting your stamp on your new van, and making immediate progress towards enjoying and owning it.
Also look at the cost to you saved in time and fuel to return it to the dealer. I’m not to sure I would be happy trusting them to to do the work to my satisfaction anyway, given your experience so far!
If they agree to you having the tyres fitted locally, then you can safely drive of this weekend (weather permitting) and find yourself one of those wonderful views to enjoy, with a beer, wine and a barbie.😊

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
Sorry to be so blunt...but in this 'Seller's Market' the real shifty folk come to the surface.

My wife and I have been caravanning and M/homing for about 30 years now, and I have to say that I can count the amount of REALLY good dealers on......well, Very few anyway!

You have to look at this situation as an insult to your intelligence...and your misplaced trust in the dealer.

Make your demands Very firmly, otherwise they will just take advantage of your better nature.

Upvote 0

Fi Broxton

Free Member
Mar 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to convert
Which website has some useful info and standard letters that you can complete and download without paying any subscription. I used one on a van that I'd owned for just under 12 months with a 3 month warranty and got reparation from the dealer. Worth a shot....

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2012

Thanks.
Just walk. You'll never win this one

Upvote 0

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
Tenting is standing in a cold shower ripping up Pound notes
Caravanning is standing in a cold shower ripping up Five pound notes
Motorhoming is standing in a cold shower ripping up Ten pound notes
Boating is standing in a cold shower ripping up Twenty pound notes
Flying is hanging around a muddy field ripping up Fifty pound notes
🤣🤣🤣Can't remember the last time i seen a pound note😂

Upvote 0

Hotcrossman

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

Thanks.
Noted your dilemma and replies. I have used "Resolva" in the past and found their service good. If all else fails, Small Claims Court (now renamed) I have had good results from this course of action, though it does take time! My last was with a faulty leisure battery - long story V short - cost me £99 after 3 months it cost them £205, that includes all my costs and fees. My motto: "Never let them win"

Upvote 0

Bosbus

Free Member
Feb 27, 2020
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
B584
Exp
since 2015
I'd like to tell you my story - it does have a happy ending but totally stressed me out that we were so gullible. I totally sympathise with you and understand your predicament as we did a similar thing buying a land rover at a distance to be delivered. We paid a deposit and the business seller on Ebay was most charming assuring us it was the perfect vehicle for our needs. We bought it on the strength that.... "although it is tax and MOT exempt it has the benefit of a full MOT for a year." When the vehicle arrived John took it for a test drive and the seller immediately phoned me saying he couldn't drive it until we paid as it was illegal and I had to pay by banker's draft. I said I would pay with Paypal. He said to do it as Friends and Family. I refused and he said there was a further fee to pay and charged us another £100. I pointed out I didn't even have the final invoice. He said I'm emailing it now and you must pay immediately. I was in tears by then. I had no time to read the small print on the invoice that absolved him of any responsibility.
We took the vehicle to a local land rover specialist where it failed the MOT spectacularly- 3 do not drive until repaired dangerous defects and 13 other major defects. The DVSA carried out an independent inspection and came to the same conclusion. The seller refused to acknowledge the problem. I contacted Citizens Advice and Which Legal advice and they advised me to write to the seller quoting The Consumers Rights Act that the goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality and the seller is clearly in breach of contract. We are rejecting the vehicle and requesting a full refund. I was within the time frame to do this. He disputed this saying, "This was sold as a classic car and we agreed to it as such without the benefit of any warranty or guarantee." This was never agreed - the seller told me I could whinge all I wanted, there was no way he was going to give us a refund. The vehicle or ***king land rover, as I preferred to call it, remained at the garage, where another faulty land rover arrived from the same seller! Unbelievable!!!
Red rag to a bull time...everybody said there was no way I would get my money back as Paypal don't do refunds on vehicles. However - I had funded the deal through Mastercard as shown on my statements. Mastercard agreed I had a case- I filled out forms, sent all correspondence -his bank and my bank took over and I didn't have to deal with seller any more. It was a long hard struggle- I hated the thought he might win. We had to pay for an independent expert on Land rovers as Mastercard said the MOT couldn't be used as evidence as vehicle was exempt. Finally we were given 9 days to send any additional evidence - His bank stated that seller said Paypal doesn't pay out on used vehicles - my bank pointed out that the chargeback was with Mastercard.........and we received a full refund!
End of story................almost BUT a friend got in touch to say "our" Land Rover was on Landywatch, a Facebook page, stating it was stolen and believed to be in the Boscastle area and loads of people were looking out for it. It's still there if you want to look! You can check it out as registration is there. The next day we had a bailiff banging on the door demanding the vehicle we had stolen. We called the police but by the time they arrived we had explained the situation. He went away and finally seller told him to collect the vehicle from the garage. Bailiff collected it and took it to his locked compound and seller arranged collection. It is now back in Wolverhampton.
Mrs BosBus (who hated Land rovers anyway and we are NOT getting one!)

Upvote 0

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I had a similar experience 8 years ago, except for that I negotiated a discount not an exorbitant profit from the dealer. On viewing we identified quite a few faults which they agreed to resolve and from our pick up they all seemed to have been fixed. On our first outing 22 faults surfaced. Most new but a couple that weren’t fixed. After 2 returns to the dealer some were still not resolved. We finally agreed that the UK dealer, Dometic and Thetford would sort the remaining ones. It was only 6 months old so Warranties were invoked. I think it was 2 years from purchase that the final issue was resolved at Polch. During that 2 years and most of the next one I regretted not rejecting. However 8 years on I’m glad I persisted and not rejected we’ve have had a super time and made many new friends.
My advice would be, don’t reject, build a working relationship with the dealer, clearly identify all faults and your required resolution. It’s not easy but if you get what you want at the end it’ll be worth it.
PS the dealer I purchased from has now wound up.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Depends on disputed amounts for it to go through a small claims court.
Not sure what is being disputed with the OP but my estimation is that the repair costs will be more than the limit for a small claims court if considering tyres, sat dish repair, etc not to mention labour costs.

until the OP decides exactly what they want and discussions have concluded and broken down, don’t name the dealer. As much as I and most on hear want to know who it is so we can avoid them. Only name them at the last resort as otherwise, they won’t budge on anything

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I would get some new tyres on it, replace the dodgy bulbs, get the sat dish fixed and then go on to enjoy your new motorhome. Ask the dealer for a contribution… if they refuse, just move on and enjoy your ownership. The stress and worry of a rejection / legal action is just not worth it for £3k.. Put it down to experience, review the dealer on here, and you’ll know better how to buy a second had motorhome in the future. If the dealer is as bad as you say, their business will fail in the long run…. meanwhile enjoy your holidays!
Good advice I would say.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Really sorry to hear you are having issues, and can see varying responses and totally understand why you are loosing sleep. you may find you have legal services advice cover on your insurances, so for example do you have an RAC policy with access to their legal advice line or maybe your car or house policy. The advice lines will not fix the issue but normally give excellent guidance on what your rights are and how you may wish to proceed, we had a VW T5 converted a few years back, the snagging list was as long as your arm we were just over 2 years in and the bumpers started peeling paint for a 2nd time and the dealer did not want to know so I used the sale of goods act where goods need to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory condition.

Here is the AA's take on 2nd hand vehicles

Here is an article on Confused. com

Hopefully you get a satisfactory resolution
At last someone has provided decent advice and is sympathetic to the OP. I feel for him too and think that some of the remarks posted are unnecessary and less than helpful. Everything on the motorhome should work as described not - 'no one bothers anymore'. He has joined Motorhomefun so we should be helping him as much as possible. If you don't know or are not sure you shouldn't second guess what his rights are. As I always say no information is better than bad information.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2020
Worcester
Funster No
MH
2019 Vauxhall Movano
Exp

Thanks.
I had issues with a panel van I bought a week before first lockdown last year to convert (great timing I had been looking since November)It was also a large garage with a good reputation and multi million turnover. I managed to get a full refund when everything reopened in June but they tried their best to renege - a lot of this was based on the trades description act- fit for purpose, satisfactory quality and worth what was paid for it based on previous two (independant vehicle examiners opinion not mine or a general mechanic) . You only have to register with them your intention to reject the vehicle within the appropriate time frame and quote the grounds from the act initially and if you chiose the conditions under which you would be willing to keep the vehicle. -along the grounds of ‘I intend to return…. on the grounds of…… unless……. can be agreed. You have then got as long as you like to argue back and forth and arrange an in depth inspection by some one qualified in your case for motorhomes.
After they tried to renege partly due to the delay caused by lockdown I paid £200 for a full independant inspection and luckily got some free basic legal advice. The upshot was I gave them a quote for the needed repairs and an ultimatum that that they paid for it in full or I returned as had been stated within the original cooling off period. I followed up every phone conversation with an ‘as discussed’ email and they did not reply to a single one refuting anything (so I had a document trail and they did not😁) . I registered my intention in writing the day before lockdown so the fact they shut down when they could legally have stayed open as a garage was their problem not mine as in effect they prevented me from returning it (they were open enough to still be selling vehicles including my part ex!!)
You can also make them come and collect under the act you do not have to return it and all the costs are theirs - if they want to do the repairs and you agree to that option, hammer out whether they either come to you or they pay for it to be collected AND returned if it is unroadworthy. (This may be a compromise you are happy to make if it gets everything else done
Telling them you are rejecting it and they are responsible for collection (irrespective of distance) may just jog them loose and get full quotes , include absolutely everything so there are some things you can magnanimously agree to waive and suggest you are willing to go legal and they may just fork over enough of a refund for you to live with and fix the important things as you want to keep it really. You dont have to get all antagonistic just suggest that although you would prefer to keep it and be amicable, you know your rights and legal action is not off the table. I ended up with a small compromise to let them save face - I took the van back to Cornwall from the midlands on written agreement that if the condition matched the report when I got there would get a full refund -I did not want to end up over a barrel once down there or back at legal option. I think they were well aware I wasnt going to go quietly so easier to just agree in the end.
Sorry if its long winded but hope my experience helps.
If it helps I think Ive still got the correspondence I sent them, it was clearly from me but with enough legalese phrasing that they knew I had been talking to a solicitor (I didnt feel the need to tell them he was a mates cousin and a corporate lawyer who was just winging it - I double checked against the act and he was spot on 🤣🤣🤣)

Upvote 0

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015

Thanks.
Hi, when buying a motor vehicle from a dealer. you have a 3 month warranty. Although a lot of dealers don't tell you about this because they don't want you to use it, as it costs them time and money.

Upvote 1

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, park up in the forecourt, you have somewhere to stay.
Try and judge when the showroom is busy, and then go in and talk rather loudly just short of shouting.
IF you don't get satisfaction, demand a full refund, or possibly start of your conversation with that demand.
If the shop is busy, they will do everything they can to keep good faith. :mad:

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I brought a van about 9mths ago and it was a ok price, well £42k for a 7000miles 2014 autotrail apache 700

I did a 3hr round trip just to see it rhen decided I would buy it so had to drive again a few weeks later to collect

During the hand over a few things came up that didn't work so he I had to trust him that he would order them for me and for them to get to me in a timely manner. One such part was the habitation fan switch and the spare wheel lock cover, yes they did all turn up and yes I was ble to fit them but truthful I haven't really stopped fixing things or making things work better for the last 9mths

What I really want to say is that I don't think everything will be perfect or that there will be a point when I don't have to fix something (cupboard door fell off today) but I love my van (fact)

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Tenting is standing in a cold shower ripping up Pound notes
Caravanning is standing in a cold shower ripping up Five pound notes
Motorhoming is standing in a cold shower ripping up Ten pound notes
Boating is standing in a cold shower ripping up Twenty pound notes
Flying is hanging around a muddy field ripping up Fifty pound notes
The two best days of your life are:
1. Buying a boat
2. Selling the boat
;)

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
As others have said, get the repairs doen yourself with a reputable dealer, save yourself the hassle and worry of dealing with the original dealer. But then put a claim into the small claims court (value allowable up to £10,000) detailing the dealers failures and the amount you're seeking. This is a slow process but it means you can, in your own time and without the heat of the moment, rationally explain the dealer's failures. This has worked for me in the past, albeit for a much smaller amount. Also leave Google review of the dealer and name and shame them wherever possible if that is not successful.

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
15years
One question........do you trust this motorhome? Even if you do all the work you've identified, do you trust it?
If you don't feel you could, then ditch it is my feeling. You need to feel really happy with your purchase or else it will sour all adventures.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back