Dodgy MH Dealership (any legals out there please?) (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
O.k so the place I bought my MH from less than 10 days ago sent me away in a vehicle that was in an illegal condition for the road and potentially dangerous.

In addition they've apparently done zero checks/work during the 3 weeks they made me wait to collect it (like the promised MOT, hab check, gas safety, service, valet e.t.c). Theyve obviously just ticked the boxes on the pre-purchase inspection sheet without even being in the vehicle. They have for sure knowingly not fixed things the previous private owner told them it needed when they bought it from him (ive had numerous conversations with the previous private owner as id tried to buy it from him in the first place before this MH dealership beat me to it). The Oyster dish needs a new £900 main board and doesnt even move (yet its also ticked off as working).
The list of faults, that should all of been spotted, (if theyd actually done any checks) and rectified before selling the vehicle is long and will probably cost around £3000. Given they stuck £14,000 on top of the price they actually paid for the MH from the private seller, I think they are more taking the mickey. Ironically they refused to move on their asking price too because they reeled off that they had to take in to account the cost of servicing, pre-purchase checks, mot, warranty costs e.t.c. (non of which theyve even done).

They make all the right "noises", in terms of promising to order me this and that, have someone fix things, get it MOT'd, send me the so far non-extent warranty paperwork e.t.c. but I am almost entirely certain they're just trying to keep the clock ticking to delay until my right to return it for a full refund within 30 days expires.

Its all extremely polite at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way for now for the SLIM chance they might actually honour something or fix something.

Its a fantastic van, I have no desire to return it. All the faults are just things that any dealer with a conscience would easily and quickly put right. But having already paid £14k over the odds its a bit much to have to spend another £3k+ to put everything right myself.

This is a large, well presented MH business and not some small back street garage. They actually sell a number of MH brands from new (who I assume would be interested to hear how this seller conducts themselves representing their brand name?)

So far ive kept all conversations about my issues with the MH documented via email, (which when i asked one of their agents for they said they dont give out?! A business that doesnt give out its email address? Probably to ensure there's no written record of complaints I assume).
I've listed all the faults and taken photos of the most serious ones (mainly the tyres which are all over 10 years old, cracked sidewalls and not one of them had anywhere near enough air in. One had 20psi when i checked it the next day! N/S main and dip HID bulb is also blown and was black taped in place).

Before i end up reporting them to trading standards? What are my best options please? I just want them to honour their warranty and legal obligation so I can get on with enjoying my MH.
The dealership is 300 miles away and its unsafe and illegal to drive it back to them currently. They knew I was driving it 300 miles back to Scotland once I'd collected it and still sent me off with it in this condition. They couldnt even be bothered to top the coolant up, which was 2" below the minimum and the screenwash was completely empty too.
So far, out of the £14k mark up they put on this MH, their only outlay has been to spray blackner on the tyres and silicon on the dash to make them look shiny.

Thanks.
(and yes, I'm up at 3am because i cant sleep worrying about it!)

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
@calmseas I don’t think you have many options if you want to keep the van. If the tyres aren’t roadworthy then you will have to have them replaced so you can drive the van. Could you get that done and then arrange to drive down to the dealership, with the receipt for them and a letter from the tyre suppliers saying the previous ones weren’t roadworthy? Explain to the dealership you are quite happy to camp in their car park while they sort the other issues?

Reactions: DJT
Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Send me a PM with the whole story and the whole truth and I will see if I can sort any of it under warranty through my dealership. If I can’t I may be able to advise on how we can tackle it and what terminology etc to use!
Thanks
Simon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Upvote 0
May 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
CClass
O.k so the place I bought my MH from less than 10 days ago sent me away in a vehicle that was in an illegal condition for the road and potentially dangerous.

In addition they've apparently done zero checks/work during the 3 weeks they made me wait to collect it (like the promised MOT, hab check, gas safety, service, valet e.t.c). Theyve obviously just ticked the boxes on the pre-purchase inspection sheet without even being in the vehicle. They have for sure knowingly not fixed things the previous private owner told them it needed when they bought it from him (ive had numerous conversations with the previous private owner as id tried to buy it from him in the first place before this MH dealership beat me to it). The Oyster dish needs a new £900 main board and doesnt even move (yet its also ticked off as working).
The list of faults, that should all of been spotted, (if theyd actually done any checks) and rectified before selling the vehicle is long and will probably cost around £3000. Given they stuck £14,000 on top of the price they actually paid for the MH from the private seller, I think they are more taking the mickey. Ironically they refused to move on their asking price too because they reeled off that they had to take in to account the cost of servicing, pre-purchase checks, mot, warranty costs e.t.c. (non of which theyve even done).

They make all the right "noises", in terms of promising to order me this and that, have someone fix things, get it MOT'd, send me the so far non-extent warranty paperwork e.t.c. but I am almost entirely certain they're just trying to keep the clock ticking to delay until my right to return it for a full refund within 30 days expires.

Its all extremely polite at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way for now for the SLIM chance they might actually honour something or fix something.

Its a fantastic van, I have no desire to return it. All the faults are just things that any dealer with a conscience would easily and quickly put right. But having already paid £14k over the odds its a bit much to have to spend another £3k+ to put everything right myself.

This is a large, well presented MH business and not some small back street garage. They actually sell a number of MH brands from new (who I assume would be interested to hear how this seller conducts themselves representing their brand name?)

So far ive kept all conversations about my issues with the MH documented via email, (which when i asked one of their agents for they said they dont give out?! A business that doesnt give out its email address? Probably to ensure there's no written record of complaints I assume).
I've listed all the faults and taken photos of the most serious ones (mainly the tyres which are all over 10 years old, cracked sidewalls and not one of them had anywhere near enough air in. One had 20psi when i checked it the next day! N/S main and dip HID bulb is also blown and was black taped in place).

Before i end up reporting them to trading standards? What are my best options please? I just want them to honour their warranty and legal obligation so I can get on with enjoying my MH.
The dealership is 300 miles away and its unsafe and illegal to drive it back to them currently. They knew I was driving it 300 miles back to Scotland once I'd collected it and still sent me off with it in this condition. They couldnt even be bothered to top the coolant up, which was 2" below the minimum and the screenwash was completely empty too.
So far, out of the £14k mark up they put on this MH, their only outlay has been to spray blackner on the tyres and silicon on the dash to make them look shiny.

Thanks.
WOW Tough Love from many .... I'm new to the MH "club" I too had in many ways very similar treatment from a dealer in the Cheshire area and have read very many comments on here and watched very many You Tube vlogs and to be honest the sector suffers way more than it should from very suspect vendors. However ... when you research the actual routes/ legal options might/could take, you understand that the consumer is at the bottom of the pile and of course the dealers all know this. I mean just what does a HAB check mean / deliver when those doing it only need to be "competent" as in "their" eyes they are. No actual certification needed!!! So Calm Seas 1. your not alone, 2. The Industry is woeful,shameful, and sadly lacking, 3, name and shame ... just be 100% truthful ...an old tyre is not illegal ( only advisable) only a bald one or huge chunk missing from side wall or cord showing etc is & profit is not illegal 4, If there are more things you like than don't fix the bits you want to and enjoy. Post how much it costs you and spread the word that in a very buoyant market there is a very fast buck to be made and very many Dealers are making serious hay at the moment ..... SO BUYER BEWARE. Oh and for those that find a Honorable, Decent, Old school maybe type of Dealer who goes above and beyond .... Share the news, they will be rare and deserve the praise. I'll add that in some ways you might be better off as I'll add my experience to say when they attempt to fix things they know nothing about the outcome is worse. Just pick your technician/s very carefully ...owning a spanner does not make you a mechanic!

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2018
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala 732
Exp
since 2011
A difficult situation, but a bit confused here with the circumstances. If you contacted the original owner before you bought it from the dealer were you pre-armed with a list of faults ? So I would have checked those out on first seeing the van, then again before paying, and not taken delivery if not fixed plus being satisfied with my own checks. Having said that, when I was more of a novice I bought a MoHo from a dealer about 180 miles away. All the tyres had good tread and I drove it home after I was satisfied with everything. When I got home I realised that front tyres were not "CP" rated, just ordinary van tyres. So I phoned the dealer, sent photos of the fitted tyres and gave them some grief about how could a dealer send out a MoHo without proper MoHo rated tyres. They understood about the distances and asked me to get some quotes locally and reimbursed me for the cheapest. Maybe you could send the dealer photos of the problems to help your case, if not already done so (surely their web site has a "contact us" showing an email address ?). We don't know your dealer, but if, as you say, it's still amicable discussions, then I would initially try to play on their reputation as a reputable dealer to give a fair and honest service. If you travelled 300 miles to one of the largest dealers in the country, then could be the ones who missed some side lights not working on one of my vans during a PDI which they'd ticked off as working, that I spotted when I checked the lights before taking it (this dealer is probably the most aloof I have encountered) I don't know if you have the same problem as me for being the only driver, so if you return the van you're stuck there. When I P/X'd another van about 80 miles away the fuel filter sprang a leak on the day I picked it up (despite being serviced). So I left it there and got the AA to take me and the wife home without the van. But I got the dealer to pay my train fair to pick it up again when fixed. May be it all comes down to how much the dealer cares about their reputation and if they think you'll be a repeat customer, but you may have to bite the bullet and take yours back for a refund ASAP if you're getting nowhere. Have you enquired about doing that with them ? Good luck whatever the outcome.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
i think it's safe to assume that the OP has deserted this thread. Some good advice given though, and lots of sharing of experiences :)

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.

Thanks.
Check https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#:~:text=Rejecting%20a%20car%20–%20your%20consumer%20rights%201,3%20Rejecting%20a%20car%20after%20six%20months.%20
but don’t hang about! Time is of the essence!

if it is a major supplier, you can also Open a case on Resolver. I’ve done it 3 times, successfully, at no financial cost to me! 👍. https://www.resolver.co.uk/

It’s possible you may have a section75 claim from the credit card company if you paid by card… https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...our-money-back-if-you-paid-by-card-or-paypal/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I had a real problem with a motor home I brought some years ago from a company in the north as I lived in London at the time it was a real problem
the fact the engine blow up in France after only 4000 miles
even the vehicle manufacturer refused to help arguing it was not in warranty.
it turns out the company we purchase the van from had not registered the vehicle for warranty hard to believe but true .
we did find a dealer in the south of England who while we set stranded in France were prepared to go the extra mile and not only sorted out the warranty, but once we got the vehicle back to the uk sorted out a replacement engine. Got to be honest never trusted the van after that
I tock the company to small claims court and that is not easy for sure . When you turn up at court and there a flash bloke who is a young barrister full of him self .
interesting when he stood up in court he admitted liability. even though the motor home company right up to this point refused to admit liability .
The arguement was what I claimed as expenses we won just a little over 50% of our claim .
interesting fact when we got to court the vehicle had been off the road for over 3 months with brake problems the Judge refused to addressed that issue
Once the the judge had given her ruling . The flash barrister tried to claim cost for travailing from the north of England to London. according to the barrister in his claim tried to claim for petrol expense. Having told the court

he had come down by train that is true The claim was dismissed

the long and short of the story was
I spoke to the barrister out side the court . Which goes to prove beware of first impressions,
He gave me some advice
1 never pay cash always take out some finance you can always go to the finance company I keep the finance in place for about six months then pay it off
2 he said I should not have gone to the vehicle manufacture should have shipped the van back to the dealer
3 don’t represent your self .
I had over the years had a few problem motor homes I’ve purchased I just get the vehicle sent straight back
I all ways get it sorted
happy days

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
WOW Tough Love from many .... I'm new to the MH "club" I too had in many ways very similar treatment from a dealer in the Cheshire area and have read very many comments on here and watched very many You Tube vlogs and to be honest the sector suffers way more than it should from very suspect vendors. However ... when you research the actual routes/ legal options might/could take, you understand that the consumer is at the bottom of the pile and of course the dealers all know this. I mean just what does a HAB check mean / deliver when those doing it only need to be "competent" as in "their" eyes they are. No actual certification needed!!! So Calm Seas 1. your not alone, 2. The Industry is woeful,shameful, and sadly lacking, 3, name and shame ... just be 100% truthful ...an old tyre is not illegal ( only advisable) only a bald one or huge chunk missing from side wall or cord showing etc is & profit is not illegal 4, If there are more things you like than don't fix the bits you want to and enjoy. Post how much it costs you and spread the word that in a very buoyant market there is a very fast buck to be made and very many Dealers are making serious hay at the moment ..... SO BUYER BEWARE. Oh and for those that find a Honorable, Decent, Old school maybe type of Dealer who goes above and beyond .... Share the news, they will be rare and deserve the praise. I'll add that in some ways you might be better off as I'll add my experience to say when they attempt to fix things they know nothing about the outcome is worse. Just pick your technician/s very carefully ...owning a spanner does not make you a mechanic!
Hi, 10yr old tyres on the front axle became illegal as of February this year i discovered. The MOT centre down the road from has said they would fail all 6 for sidewall cracks too.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, 10yr old tyres on the front axle became illegal as of February this year i discovered. The MOT centre down the road from has said they would fail all 6 for sidewall cracks too.

No excuse for the sidewall cracks but the 10 year rule does not apply to class 4 motor caravans.

Or the relevant bit,
5FA21611-DBE1-4D61-A8DC-A6C72C5D8813.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Send me a PM with the whole story and the whole truth and I will see if I can sort any of it under warranty through my dealership. If I can’t I may be able to advise on how we can tackle it and what terminology etc to use!
Thanks
Simon
Thanks extremely kind of you Simon,
Update: the dealer sent me 6 Conti Campa tyres up to the local MOT station yesterday! (and paid the fitting too).
He's also now sending me two new complete headlight units up here too (to replace the bastardised wiring due to someone fitting a HID conversion kit which has blown). After which it will be legal to drive finally!

Strangely the day after I posted this thread I started to actually get movement on getting this resolved.
Ive also checked the legal cover on my MH insurance which states it covers all disputes including the purchase of the MH.

Today i sent another updated list of the issues that need resolution. Although slow it appears we are getting somewhere.

Things are now progressing! Thank you all (those that gave advice).

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
on another note.. when the tyres finally arrived it turned out the MOT centre couldnt lift the motorhome to change them (4000kg max on their ramp).
Thankfully the Burstner has these fitted! :D View attachment 524567

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
I think a bit of buyers remorse is happening here, thinking of the 14 grand over the top.
Why didn't you look for these things BEFORE driving away, driving 300 miles then deciding the tyres aren't up to it should have been in the drivers inspection before any journey and rejected there and then.
And surely you would check the satilite dish if they were supposed to be mending it to see if it worked.
Not sure this adds value to the poster looking for advice. This appears to be merely opinion ?

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
I had to buy a van quickly, i tried to buy it when it was listed privately for sale but wasnt beaten to it.
I really dont advice on coulda should woulda guys. As I say the circumstances behind them are unknown to you.

If its not related to my original question I'm really not interested thank you all the same though.
I’m sorry but this forum seems to have a lot of av a go Harry’s on it 😔 more and more I see less fun. I really like the idea of subscribing to which for £40 as they’re brilliant at explains complex statute and how to resolve.

I’d like to apologise on behalf of every person on this mostly helpful forum who seem to spend their day trolling.

I do hope you can as advised detach yourself and emotions about this from the legal rights and facts presenting guys. Remember every thing can be sorted. Might not be the first route in your head but simply work out what’s worth the emotional hassle

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Calm seas
it looks like youve got a nice van for your money,and you can takeaway the cost of six new tyres,off the £14000, that you think you would have saved if youd bought private,but if you had bought it privately,you probably wouldnt have any come back as i suppose its then “buyer beware”as has been stated previously if you have bought on finance you generally have more power when in dispute.
lovely vehicle i hope you settle and enjoy it cheers pampam🤗

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Only on commercial vehicles!

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
I thought I'd update this post.

I just got back (again) from this dealership, 3rd or 4th visit.. many hundreds of pounds in fuel spent, let alone the disruption of having to abandon trips and living with major problems like leaks, BUT

After more than TEN months, I have to say they have now FINALLY resolved almost all the faults! I didnt have to resort to legal, just constant persistence to ensure they knew I wasnt going away until things were fixed! (just 1 fault remaining which I can do myself once they send me the parts).

Being a polite PITA works sometimes. Happy I can now just enjoy the van and my journey.

Upvote 0

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
thank you, thats what im thinking as well.
Fix it myself, invoice the dealer anyway afterwards and just get on with enjoying it. Then leave appropriate reviews and reports where ever possible on the dealer.
But thats why i thought id ask the question here first in case there was a better course of action some one could suggest.
That’s your best stress free option.

or try and hand it back but I can’t see them taking back within the allocated time.

old thread now sorted.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I thought I'd update this post.

I just got back (again) from this dealership, 3rd or 4th visit.. many hundreds of pounds in fuel spent, let alone the disruption of having to abandon trips and living with major problems like leaks, BUT

After more than TEN months, I have to say they have now FINALLY resolved almost all the faults! I didnt have to resort to legal, just constant persistence to ensure they knew I wasnt going away until things were fixed! (just 1 fault remaining which I can do myself once they send me the parts).

Being a polite PITA works sometimes. Happy I can now just enjoy the van and my journey.
8 months and 3 or 4 trips of 300 miles.....I don't think being a polite pita did work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
8 months and 3 or 4 trips of 300 miles.....I don't think being a polite pita did work.
yeah, because being unable to hand the vehicle back, or going through the stress and cost of legal proceedings, or simply giving up (which was clearly what they were hoping I'd do) and not getting anything fixed would have been much better right? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back