Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Well we're off on Friday for up to 3 months all being well. I think we've ticked most of the box's but I wondered what most of you do with your important doc's.
We've made 2 copies of : Van's V5 , ins cert, passports(including the dogs),Mot, driving licences including paper counterpart, E111 cards, personal travel ins doc's, & breakdown cover doc's.
1 set of copies will remain at home & we'll have a set of copies & originals with us during our travels.
Now then. We will probably keep originals on our persons whilst away from the van & copies in the van safe. Can't imagine many folks walk around with a v5 in their pocket though.
What do you seasoned travellers do?
Thanks in advance for any replies:thumb:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I have an email address that I only use for private important things, I scan all my documents & email them to myself at that address, I can always access them then & print copies if needed.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Repeat prescription forms (if needed), medical report, copy of prescription for spectacles too is handy.... Just in case glasses are broken or lost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we carry copies and originals. copies in an easy access folder in one of the less conspicuous lockers and the originals including passports in a docs safe well bolted down / secured and out of sight.

i feel if i carry them their more at risk of loss or theft.

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I like the avatar what a cute dog

Many thanks for your responses, food for thought, especially the idea that we may be more at risking by carrying originals.

Yes he is cute thanks, his name is Dave, very spoilt, we love him to bits:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Many thanks for your responses, food for thought, especially the idea that we may be more at risking by carrying originals.

Yes he is cute thanks, [HI]his name is Dave,[/HI] very spoilt, we love him to bits:Smile:

i can just hear it now, 11 pm dog out in garden, wife on door step calling "Dave, Dave, comon in now theres a good boy"! :winky: good job the neighbors know
sorry :Blush:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have an app called mobile strongbox on my android smartphone, it is password-protected and encrypted and I have photographs of all my docs / cards stored in it in case the van is stolen or goes up in smoke or I lose them after too many sherbets...:thumb:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a safe in our MH. It is made of steel and secured with a key. Not impregnable of course and though it is hidden any professional thief would find it but I feel valuables are more secure in it than hidden in the sock drawer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We take the originals with us and hide them in the van, however I also scan/download all our documents (vehicle and personal) and put them onto a couple of SD cards in holders clearly marked as 'emergency information', and we each keep one with us when we go out. I also include details of us and the dogs, including photos, family contact info in case of an emergency etc, also details of our vehicle, crossings etc, that way if for some reason and we were in an accident and were unconscious (or worse!) the emergency services can look at the SD card and get at all our info.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
I like the idea of digital records on a phone or iPad but wonder are they acceptable as is or would they have to be printed off?

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I like the idea of digital records on a phone or iPad but wonder are they acceptable as is or would they have to be printed off?

Good point. I know that the police will only accept originals if stopped in the uk,I guess it's the same over the water.

I suppose copies at least have enough info on to allow enquiries by any interested parties if the originals go missing.

I'm starting to err on the side of leaving passports etc in the safe instead of walking around with them.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I originally put the photos of my credit cards into the mobile app in case any were lost or stolen, so I could pull them up and contact the bank. This is in addition to an encrypted password app where I store these details as well. I added the driving docs as an afterthought but the insurance certificates etc are already attached to the emails received from the various companies they were purchased from. The V5 was scanned in and emailed to myself as well, as mentioned in this post by another Funster. You can download scanner apps but i haven't tried to print from a document this way, mainly cos I don't have a printer with me! My friends think I'm anal and borderline A.D.D or whatever it is! No, I don't have to have the labels on my Heinz beans tins all facing the front, there are too many. There's an app for everything...:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France you are expected to produce all documents at the roadside, if requested. I had a large wallet with the Carte Gris, insurance ( though tickets displayed on windscreen) and CT in my handbag every time I went out. You are also supposed to carry I.D. Always wondered what I'd do if my handbag was nicked :Sad:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
All our documents are scanned and stored in the cloud.
What would happen though if you couldn't supply all documents, would they jail you or what?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We've scanned ours too - emailed to ourselves. We keep the originals hidden in the van and just use our driving licence as ID when walking around.

They may not be accepted in some places but it goes a long way to proving ownership etc. if things are stolen.

We also have pictures of our family members and mh on our phones just incase anyone goes missing or we need to report a vehicle theft etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back