Do you?/Would you? Full time in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

All about Fulltimeliving in a motorhome

• I am a full timer

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • I would never live full time in a motorhome

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • I will fulltime in the future

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • I might consider it in the future

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • I might be a part-time fulltimer

Votes: 43 26.4%

• Total voters

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best part is if you give the address as the caravan ,so n so rd, etc, its ok if its a static . if its a camper they dont like it. they think they are a law un to them selves. try getting them to admit they have to cover you all the time in europe with minimum cover they still say not us only 90 days etc. never mind .

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
One thing that came from these convesations is Insurance companies are petrified of getting caught up with gypsies / travellers / itinerants and the like - if they do they always apparently get caught with hefty claims which are difficult to dispute.

This may well sum up exactly why insurance companies are so wary of insurance for fulltiming - how do you distinguish between someone who genuinely wishes to travel and simply doesn't want the expense and hassle of a home they won't use, and the type of person they're concerned about who will claim for anything they can get away with? I get the impression, both from Landy's email and this:

" In some cases will insure a genuine known full-timer and they offer a good range of European countries, but for the highest premiums we have met!"

from this page (from the Comfort Insurance info):
MagBaz Travels - 40 Motorhome Insurers

that they consider the request on a case-by-case basis, as they have with Landy.

Chani

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
best part is if you give the address as the caravan ,so n so rd, etc, its ok if its a static . if its a camper they dont like it. they think they are a law un to them selves. try getting them to admit they have to cover you all the time in europe with minimum cover they still say not us only 90 days etc. never mind .

I did ask this question before and it is relevant to me because thats what I'm thinking of buying.

Does a static on a caravan site have an official address?????????????

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I did ask this question before and it is relevant to me because thats what I'm thinking of buying.

Does a static on a caravan site have an official address?????????????

Tim

Afraid this comes back to reading the small print again - we found a lovely site a few years ago and thought we could use that as a base it was only for 11 months per year usage which would not have worried us and when we read the small print - and it was small - there was a clause that it should not be used a a postal address should not be used as a main residence and you could not use it as a voting address - I think would have to be very carefull on this one.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi wizzer. i would say yes . many people live constantly on caravan sites .best if you are on a permenant site ala, open all year.

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
We have been considering fulltiming for over a year now. Coming on this forum lately, and researching all of the facts about making such a move, has sadly, made us come to the conclusion that we cannot do it.
Most of the practicalities can be overcome, some of the downsides are nullified by the good sides, but once we stated getting into the emotional side of things,...there came the problems!
We have large family, with 9 grandchildren. some of the family have health problems, which have caused us to be needed over the years. Also, my wife has minor health issues, but needs a doctors visit once in a while.

I am sure that i would be able to overcome any of the practical difficulties, I am a competant mechanic, and have ran several trips around europe with landrovers, so nothing would arise that i could,nt find a way around. But, missing the granchildren, not seeing them grow up, not being on hand if needed, and the gulit we would feel if we were not there when needed....plus the inevitable erosion of the close relationships we have with them now, would cause us some grief, so we have decided that fulltiming ..sadly..is not for us.
We will now start looking to chnage from being tuggers, to purchasing a motorhome for recrational use....which means that we will still be able to visit tis excellent forum:thumb:, but i do feel sad that a dream has come to an end before it started, but probably less sad than if i was forced to end the dream once underway!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
hi wizzer. i would say yes . many people live constantly on caravan sites .best if you are on a permenant site ala, open all year.

Thanks for that I did wonder about permanent VS holiday sites but still have to do my homework on this, also would like to find out about the costs of site home VS bricks & mortar?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi wizzer ,most people would like a small piece of land with a static put on it idealy with planning permission . new statics can be bought for as little as 10 grand, sites charge alot more, then want rent etc. of course this is getting harder all the time to find. another idea is an industrial building. use it as an address, park up occasionally and dont stay too long keeping complaints to the minimum. i like the thought jim gave on other post of campsite with joint ownership by m,home owners but you dont have to look too far to see the problems. its hard to cover all probabilities thats why i decided to keep a property rent part of it out ,always have someone living around /in the property .they can phone me when i,m away. i,m not a full timer . wouldnt want to be. thought thats what i wanted but changed my mind along time ago. i want an easy life, its not to be had though.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We have been considering fulltiming for over a year now. Coming on this forum lately, and researching all of the facts about making such a move, has sadly, made us come to the conclusion that we cannot do it.
Most of the practicalities can be overcome, some of the downsides are nullified by the good sides, but once we stated getting into the emotional side of things,...there came the problems!
We have large family, with 9 grandchildren. some of the family have health problems, which have caused us to be needed over the years. Also, my wife has minor health issues, but needs a doctors visit once in a while.

I am sure that i would be able to overcome any of the practical difficulties, I am a competant mechanic, and have ran several trips around europe with landrovers, so nothing would arise that i could,nt find a way around. But, missing the granchildren, not seeing them grow up, not being on hand if needed, and the gulit we would feel if we were not there when needed....plus the inevitable erosion of the close relationships we have with them now, would cause us some grief, so we have decided that fulltiming ..sadly..is not for us.
We will now start looking to chnage from being tuggers, to purchasing a motorhome for recrational use....which means that we will still be able to visit tis excellent forum:thumb:, but i do feel sad that a dream has come to an end before it started, but probably less sad than if i was forced to end the dream once underway!

Hi John and Carol

Your post made me sad. Its a shame that you feel you have to give up on a dream and your reasons seem quite selfless and honorable. Is there anyway you could perhaps part time? Michelle and I just did 3 months in Europe and had a great time and despite us thinking we were on some great adventure into the unknown we were never more than a day or two's drive from Dover. Maybe you could go for a while and invite the grandkids over for a holiday for a week. Its none of my business and I dont know your circumstances but as someone who is very much hoping to full time and is so close to fulfilling that dream your post made me sad. I hope you get your MH soon and enjoy it whatever you do. By the way Michelle and I sometimes wave at tuggers. Abroad they actually wave back. (Oh god now ive done it!):Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But, missing the granchildren, not seeing them grow up, not being on hand if needed, and the gulit we would feel if we were not there when needed....plus the inevitable erosion of the close relationships we have with them now, would cause us some grief, so we have decided that fulltiming ..sadly..is not for us.
!

Hi John and Carol

I totally understand, that is part of our reason for us giving up.. and it may be sad now but I think you have made a wise decision.

We often underestimate the importance of family and friends and as is often the case we only realise how important they are when we are parted.. as I said earlier, sitting on an idyllic beach in the sun is no consolation when you are homesick and missing your family.

Good luck

Jim

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Hi John & Carol
I feel very sad for you losing the dream and admire your obvious devotion to your family, our position is I imagine very similar to yours VS the family and grandchildren, but as our family is somewhat scattered all over England we do not see us living in a motorhome as problem, in fact we will have more freedom to see some of them more often and the fact is where ever we are we will be able to get back within three days.
The length of our trips will only ever be three months at most because of my wifes need for medication and besides we have a lot of england to see yet, and we will (as will you) be able to take some of the grand children and indeed the whole family on some of the trips (with their own campers and tents, our van will not be that big).
In fact coming back to see the family after a long trip will be part of the excitement.

Tim:thumb:

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
camping forever.motorhoming 8years
fulltiming.

well I'm hoping to soon, my house is up for sale and cant wait. no fixed plans yet, come what may! I might do it for two years or twenty. I own a VW at the mo and I'm happiest when I'm in it. we cant tell whats going to happen tommorow , but you can plan a little. but I just hope I'm around in two or twenty years to have the choice and decide whether to buy a property again. my children are now adults ((23 and 20,) no partner, just my dog ,so no ties. I've recently been working abroad, coming home in between, rented my house out and had to come back to sort the garden out and decorate etc so its always been a liability. I got taxed on the small extra income it gave me so I'd rather take the equity I've got in it now and invest it. I'm still able to work for many years I hope and am lucky enough to have a trade and can work all over the world and have done recently. I feel the way things are I'll just be glad not to have all the trappings and bills with the house....and no letterbox!! after all, its practically standing empty while I'm working to pay for it! damn expensive kennel! I go from the bedroom, to bathroom, kitchen then garden. love being outdoors and not just in hot weather. In fact a lot of people I've told give me an odd look , hear me out then quite like the idea themselves. If you're an outdoor positive person I cant see a problem. no doubt there will be some but thats life anyway, we've had our fair share living in a house!! cross that bridge when you come to it like any any other situation. Life's for doing wha you want even if it does seem a bit bizarre.. hey it wont be boring will it? good luck.. no-one will change my mind, I'm going for it.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
well I'm hoping to soon, my house is up for sale and cant wait. no fixed plans yet, come what may! I might do it for two years or twenty. I own a VW at the mo and I'm happiest when I'm in it. we cant tell whats going to happen tommorow , but you can plan a little. but I just hope I'm around in two or twenty years to have the choice and decide whether to buy a property again. my children are now adults ((23 and 20,) no partner, just my dog ,so no ties. I've recently been working abroad, coming home in between, rented my house out and had to come back to sort the garden out and decorate etc so its always been a liability. I got taxed on the small extra income it gave me so I'd rather take the equity I've got in it now and invest it. I'm still able to work for many years I hope and am lucky enough to have a trade and can work all over the world and have done recently. I feel the way things are I'll just be glad not to have all the trappings and bills with the house....and no letterbox!! after all, its practically standing empty while I'm working to pay for it! damn expensive kennel! I go from the bedroom, to bathroom, kitchen then garden. love being outdoors and not just in hot weather. In fact a lot of people I've told give me an odd look , hear me out then quite like the idea themselves. If you're an outdoor positive person I cant see a problem. no doubt there will be some but thats life anyway, we've had our fair share living in a house!! cross that bridge when you come to it like any any other situation. Life's for doing wha you want even if it does seem a bit bizarre.. hey it wont be boring will it? good luck.. no-one will change my mind, I'm going for it.

Top man! I have had the same sort of odd looks when I tell people we are thinking of packing it all in and going full timing. You can see it just doesnt compute. Michelle and I love the great outdoors. Finding a wild spot on our own on a mountain top, lake side or by the sea or indeed anywhere remote is our ideal. I have worked in the IT industry for over 20 years, the last 8 running my own business. Ive had enough really and the big wild world beckons. Keep in touch and let me know how your plans progress. Good luck.:Smile:

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
woman actually haha! or perhaps that was just a figure of speech!! never mind I've been called allsorts!! I had my own business for years, so I've done the relationship, family, career, business, some more stressful times than others (teenagers) but it makes you what you are and also you realise you can do anything. space, time, freedom to see the world, cant be bad. I've had money and comfort but its not always made me happy. since I've decided to do this I've never slept better. decision made... it could take a while as it all depends on the house situation now. I hope your plans work out soon for you and you both find that mountain top!! and yes will keep you posted. and you the same?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think many people are missing the whole concept of FULLTIMING,It meens no ADDRESS,no LETTERBOX.I met a young man in Spain 2 years ago that tragicaly was paralised from the waist down,through no fault of his own.He was hit by a drunk uninsured driver.His parents remorgaged there home and he imported a Dodge ram and 5r specialy converted from the States.It had electric driver seat that came down to ground level and hand controls.The 5r had large door and electric lift.Super setup.He was in receipt of DLA and all other benifits that he was entiteld to.And quite rightly so.His problem started when he told the powers that be that he was going to live perminently in his specialy adapted 5r and go and do some sightseeing.Immediatly his benifits were stopped becouse he had no LETTERBOX.That my friends is not hearsay,fiction,or daydreaming.That is a fact,it can happen to anyone becouse its the LAW OF THE LAND THAT WE LIVE IN.

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
I think many people are missing the whole concept of FULLTIMING,It meens no ADDRESS,no LETTERBOX.

That leads to a very important question. How many fulltimers here have no letterbox at all, and how many are using a friend or relative's address, even if you never stay there?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That leads to a very important question. How many fulltimers here have no letterbox at all, and how many are using a friend or relative's address, even if you never stay there?
ALL "fulltimers"in the UK have to use someone elses letterbox if they dont have there own.If they do have there own letterbox,they are NOT fulltimers.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
woman actually haha! or perhaps that was just a figure of speech!! never mind I've been called allsorts!! I had my own business for years, so I've done the relationship, family, career, business, some more stressful times than others (teenagers) but it makes you what you are and also you realise you can do anything. space, time, freedom to see the world, cant be bad. I've had money and comfort but its not always made me happy. since I've decided to do this I've never slept better. decision made... it could take a while as it all depends on the house situation now. I hope your plans work out soon for you and you both find that mountain top!! and yes will keep you posted. and you the same?

:Doh::Doh:

Sorry about that. Clearly I am a sexist northern oik for assuming someone going off full timing in a VW is a bloke. Come to think of it we did see quite a few women in VW's on our trip. Love your attitude and approach to life. Inspiring.

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
Wow I popped back ready for one or two more responses to my thread, and I get pages:Eeek: Thank you all I have some reading to do.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I initialy voted for part time full timer in this poll but will retract it beacause its a contradiction in terms.

Ive often explained why I woudnt full time so I wont go over it again.

When I'm retired we will spend a mojor part of our time away but will always return home. Home being the operative word.

I think that Jim has encapsulated a lot of my thoughts in his post.

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
WHAT IS A 'FULLTIMER'???

If being a fulltimer creates so many problems, then we are not fulltimers. We just live in motorhome all the time.

By being catagerised as a fulltimer, it puts us into a situation that we are trying to get away from. The 'square peg in a square hole', springs to mind.

We do as we please within reason and within the law. We are happy to continue being what we are, it doesn't matter a toss how anybody else wants to try and categorise us, we live our lives to suit us.

We all have our own reasons for doing it or not doing it, some have to have an address/letterbox. We need a letterbox so that the tax man knows where to send his bills, doesn't mean we have to be there 24/7.

Nigel and Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When I'm retired we will spend a mojor part of our time away but will always return home. Home being the operative word.

Hi Jim

That is our plan now, and I think it offers the best of both worlds.. with hindsight and better advice we would have done that, but we learn by our mistakes and hopefully pass on that learning so that others will be better informed of the pit falls.

There is nothing wrong in being a romantic and having dreams of driving off into the sunset, they were my dreams too and largely fulfilled that dream..
Now we have a new plan and hopefully will resume travelling soon to more remote destinations .. with many more sunsets to come .. :Smile:

good luck with your sunset :winky:

jim

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2008
based in North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 650
Exp
11yrs
Hi, Think carefully as it all depends on your circumstances. We full time but we are also working full time. Our jobs take us all over and sometimes for several weeks at a time so for us it was a better option to sell up than leave the house empty and pay morgage, rates etc, didnt like the neighbours either!!! Love it at the moment and no problems as we use our daughters address as our base and have not had to change doctors, dentist etc. Only travelled in the UK at the moment and sometimes can be difficult finding large sites for the RV near where we're working and for longer periods but touch wood, managing so far. Would love to travel abroad and work but need to source the work first before even considering going there.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I haven't read all the posts, so if I repeat something already said, I apologise.

I sold up and went Fulltime Dec 07 and frankly I have no problems with insurance etc.
I use my brothers address in the UK as a C/O and my insurance Broker is well aware of this. My premium did double when I declared myself Fulltime, but you can't have everything. Had a hiccup when the DSS wanted to split the winter payment between myself and my brother but, we soon sorted that out.

I did have a short spell living with a lady friend in Spain this summer, but soon got fed up being stuck in one place, so I've moved on.

I'm in the UK at the moment firstly because I'm changing the van and secondly because I got robbed in France last week and have come back to my C/O address to pick up replacement Debit Cards, License etc.

I pick up the replacement van on Sept. 15th and then you won't see me for the dust.

I would just say though that IMHO, you do need to be retired, or at least have enough capital to live on to Fulltime, otherwise I can't see how it could work. Unless of course your work relies on traveling to different locations, such as Entertainers, or Seasonal Workers.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

Deleted User
I would just say though that IMHO, you do need to be retired, or at least have enough capital to live on to Fulltime, otherwise I can't see how it could work.

"exactement"

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
:Doh::Doh:

Sorry about that. Clearly I am a sexist northern oik for assuming someone going off full timing in a VW is a bloke. Come to think of it we did see quite a few women in VW's on our trip. Love your attitude and approach to life. Inspiring.

hey no worry!! typical woman tho' its took me about two weeks and endless attempts to get back onto this thread!! how on earth am I going to manage getting through the rest of my life safely in a motorhome :roflmto: do I care????? I read another thread and correct me if I'm wrong but are you the couple that have been away for three months? about 40 ish? and are going again? I darn't back track as I wont find this again. If it is you, you mentoned about not being sure about going away in the winter. well I've just done two winter seasons in the Alps. there were motorhomes parked up for free, some people living in them and working, others working for english companies. you get board, food, ski pass and accomodation, they're always looking for couples to run a chalet. hard work but darned good fun and you get to save your wages to fund your next trip. there are ways of getting about, I wouldnt worry too much just get out there!! asap! I've also had a ski holiday in a motorhome, lovely and warm, fantastic views, blue skies and sun... oh and vin chaud of course. and will you really get homesick for the grey skies of the uk??

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
<snip> they're always looking for couples to run a chalet. hard work but darned good fun and you get to save your wages to fund your next trip. </snip>

'Scuse the thread hijack, but that sounds interesting! What's involved in running a chalet? (Never been skiing, haven't a clue!)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Ways and means It may be a way of doing it in UK , I sold my business in Oz which included our house and bought a small factory unit , put our household goods and personal possesions in part of it , it was still big enough to get our tugger (35footer) in x twice .
We them went full time round Oz , ended up being just over a year , due to call from UK
We used unit address , and adjoining unit owner kept an eye on the place , and forwarded mail , in exchnge for being able to store extra stuff in our unit foc . I dont see that anyone can say you are "full timing" as there is no definition of how long you need to be away to achieve full time status , other than NOT having a base to return to, if you have property you own then you are just on a long holiday whether 11 months or 13 etc .
Ownership , may not be needed , as more people rent than own ,so renting a room as mentioned would seem to fullfill any residency requirement .
The reason for needing an address for a driving licence, firearm licence etc is the same , (as an ex police officer) its so they know where you are likely to go if they need to get in touch with you urgently ! :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
hey no worry!! typical woman tho' its took me about two weeks and endless attempts to get back onto this thread!! how on earth am I going to manage getting through the rest of my life safely in a motorhome :roflmto: do I care????? I read another thread and correct me if I'm wrong but are you the couple that have been away for three months? about 40 ish? and are going again? I darn't back track as I wont find this again. If it is you, you mentoned about not being sure about going away in the winter. well I've just done two winter seasons in the Alps. there were motorhomes parked up for free, some people living in them and working, others working for english companies. you get board, food, ski pass and accomodation, they're always looking for couples to run a chalet. hard work but darned good fun and you get to save your wages to fund your next trip. there are ways of getting about, I wouldnt worry too much just get out there!! asap! I've also had a ski holiday in a motorhome, lovely and warm, fantastic views, blue skies and sun... oh and vin chaud of course. and will you really get homesick for the grey skies of the uk??

Hi. Yep thats us. Love the idea of the Alps and during our summer adventure I think the Alps was by far our fav place. Not sure I like the idea of working though. I suffer from Arthritus so my work options are limited and I dont think Mrs M would thank me for taking her away from looking after our home in the UK to looking after a load of holiday makers! Its a great idea though for anyone wanting to go out there and save a few quid for the summer. We are still not sure what our plans are. Been back two weeks now and immediatly got dragged into a load of work which on the plus side has paid for the three months away and sorted us out financially but the longer we get sucked back into this routine the harder it will be to escape again. If we rent our house out, with investments and going on our monthly costs over our 3 month trip we will have enough income to survive without working or digging into capital. Its just convincing Mrs D to rent our her house, shes still not keen.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
. I dont see that anyone can say you are "full timing" as there is no definition of how long you need to be away to achieve full time status , other than NOT having a base to return to, if you have property you own then you are just on a long holiday whether 11 months or 13 etc .

Some find this fundamental point hard to grasp ...

Long trips, working holidays or winter snow birding, are a very good alternative, I would go as far to say .. a better alternative, most of the issues that full timers encounter don't apply.

Having three years experience of full timing I urge anyone contemplating not to get carried away by dreams.. full time is not an easy life style, different .. yes, cheaper .. perhaps .. but there is a cost, see last sentence.

I know I'm repeating myself .. to full time you need to have in place

a) A sustainable income plan .. work, pension or both.. savings alone won't last long.
do the maths.

b) A base address .. either a rented out property or close relative.

c) A purpose.. this could be work, research, writing a travel book .. or what ever .. travelling for travels sake won't keep you happy for ever, 2 or 3 years down the line and you will have had enough of beaches, monuments and mountains.

From my experience.. I miss : My own garden.. living in another's isn't the same, no matter how nice or how good the view and you can't grow your own veg.. I've tried :roflmto: My shed.. I miss messing about with stuff, fixing old cars, etc ..

Being settled in one place has many social advantages, clubs, friends, neighbours, relatives, family, same doctor, dentist, library and last but not least.. security and stability .. saying goodbye to all that is the cost of full timing.

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back