Do you wave? (1 Viewer)

Do you wave at other MHs/vans as you pass?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Do you drive an automatic? Just wondered as taking your hand off the steering wheel to change gear is the same as lifting hand to wave. I think ‘dangerous‘ is an exaggeration
I always look to see if I can see the Fun smile sticker and wave
Ford cars are 10 a penny Motorhomes not quite yet😁
Drive an automatic.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Waving is mainly the job of my copilot and we also curse the miserable the sods that don't wave back. :giggle:
Gave up waving at VW type campers as we very rarely got a response from any of them.
We got a lovely wave from a T2 yesterday. Brilliant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,most of the time,but not on dual carriageways,roundabouts and other distractions.

On our journey yesterday the first waver was a very excited lady on her own,just three miles from home,we gave her a four hander and two smiler. When I’ve been driving for a long time the novelty wears off,but I shall try and be a happy camper this year especially!!! :giggle: :giggle: It might even stop me being a grumpy old git.......maybe.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Bikers in Spain usually cock a right leg off the peg to say hi. or the clutch hand drops below the bars with a slight movement as hi.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
What’s with it’s dangerous to wave. Get a life, have you never scratched you nose, or put your hand over your mouth when coughing?if you can’t steer in a straight line with one hand to give a quick wave then give up driving. I would not wave if I was on a roundabout or in a dangerous situation. It then becomes the co pilots job.
When I was courting I often drove with one hand as the other one was busy doing something else😱😱

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What’s with it’s dangerous to wave. Get a life, have you never scratched you nose, or put your hand over your mouth when coughing?if you can’t steer in a straight line with one hand to give a quick wave then give up driving. I would not wave if I was on a roundabout or in a dangerous situation. It then becomes the co pilots job.
When I was courting I often drove with one hand as the other one was busy doing something else😱😱
As long as her hand wasn’t doing something else otherwise I think you might have been distracted...

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Imagine the carnage back in the day when you had to put your hand out to make a turn

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bikers in Spain usually cock a right leg off the peg to say hi. or the clutch hand drops below the bars with a slight movement as hi.
To say thanks also.....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can remember all the hand signals one had to give for turning L 0r R, going straight on etc etc.
Yes,I think I might try the turning left hand signal,it could provide some worthwhile entertainment on an otherwise dull journey. But might be interpreted as “overtake me” by the uninitiated,which could be tricky if there is oncoming traffic!

If I remember correctly,the hand signal for straight on was palm of the hand straight up at the windscreen?? Pity people don’t use it at crossroads,most folk don’t seem to understand who has priority.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yes,I think I might try the turning left hand signal,it could provide some worthwhile entertainment on an otherwise dull journey. But might be interpreted as “overtake me” by the uninitiated,which could be tricky if there is oncoming traffic!

If I remember correctly,the hand signal for straight on was palm of the hand straight up at the windscreen?? Pity people don’t use it at crossroads,most folk don’t seem to understand who has priority.
Yes correct. And the turning left was arm out of the window (even if it's pissing down) from the wrist anti clockwise drawing an imaginary circle.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Ok maybe dangerous was the wrong choice of word however I can assure you without being impolite that I have a very nice life. Thank you.👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Motor bikers nod to each other

Only in the U.K.!! When on the continent or indeed the USA they wave to each other. 😉😉
Edit it’s not a wave per se, it’s more of a hand downwards with two finger pointing to the ground. And as bobnick says sometimes they put feet off the peg, but that’s usually a gesture of thanks👍

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
It’s been lovely being allowed out and about this week in the MH on a mini-tour of the Jurassic Coast. There seemed to be a good number of other MHs and vans on the road too.

We try to acknowledge other approaching MHs by giving a wave as we pass each other. Most others wave back cheerfully, (sometimes you even get a “two-for” when both people in the other van wave!) but there was a significant proportion who refused to become involved in this cheerful exchange.

So, do you wave? If not, why not?
I'm looking where I'm driving😁

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Now that would be interesting in a MH ! Getting the door open ready, swapping your left foot over onto the accelerator to keep it going while you stuck your leg out, that would show real respect to your fellow motorhomer :cool:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
There weren’t meany motorhomes to wave at going to Norfolk last Monday but when we came back yesterday there were loads to wave at.
Its not often a van conversion owner waves back but other coach builds do. In New Zealand it didn’t seem to matter they all waved back even though we were in a hired van conversion.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I often cannot see the occupants of an oncoming 'C' Class with large 'eyebrows' where they are hidden in the dark underneath, so cannot see if they are waving, so generally ignore that type of vehicle as looking at them till they are near enough to see means turning my head too far from the road ahead. Low profile and 'A' Class occupants are more visible.

Geoff

Apr 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SUNLIGHT A72
Exp
Since lockdown
Nice 2 see so many motorhomes out and about on the roads. Me and the kids had alot of fun waving at other motorhomes lol

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There’s an issue with the pole options I’m afraid, it makes an assumption that you both agree on waving options.

SWMBO Never waves, she doesn’t understand why you would.

I on the other hand ALLWAYS WAVE, mostly to piss her off 😉

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't VW owners still have the special "dubber" wave, middle two fingers lowered and held in place by thumb to make VW sign?? Used to do that all the time in our beetles and campers back in the day.
Always wave where possible, even feel guilty if we miss someone. Saw a guy down in France once who had a pair of white gloves strapped to the wipers and he just flicked them at other motorhomes, very droll.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back