Do you wave? (1 Viewer)

Do you wave at other MHs/vans as you pass?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
It’s been lovely being allowed out and about this week in the MH on a mini-tour of the Jurassic Coast. There seemed to be a good number of other MHs and vans on the road too.

We try to acknowledge other approaching MHs by giving a wave as we pass each other. Most others wave back cheerfully, (sometimes you even get a “two-for” when both people in the other van wave!) but there was a significant proportion who refused to become involved in this cheerful exchange.

So, do you wave? If not, why not?

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
No,it’s dangerous as it’s distracting you from driving. Also if you have a Ford car would you wave to other people in Ford cars?
We both used to own VW Beetles in our youth and it was a ‘thing’ back then, as I believe it still is. I certainly don’t wave at other drivers of my current make of car, but then owning a MH is a positive choice rather than a utilitarian one, and the make of MH is not the reason for the wave!

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I was surprised when I first got my Smart Car, Other owners always wave.

Quite sweet really.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Wavers here....same when I’m out in the 2CV (to others 2 CV) and Abarth drivers when out in that. So just kind of one of those habits in the MH

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
No,it’s dangerous as it’s distracting you from driving. Also if you have a Ford car would you wave to other people in Ford cars?
If just waving makes your driving dangerous perhaps it’s time for some further training.
If waving is so dangerous how do you change gear or operate the radio, wipers, lights, heater or any other control requiring one to let go of the steering wheel?

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
If just waving makes your driving dangerous perhaps it’s time for some further training.
If waving is so dangerous how do you change gear or operate the radio, wipers, lights, heater or any other control requiring one to let go of the steering wheel?
The best wave we got this week was from a guy who waved with both hands!

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Yes, almost always wave except motorways. Am away in M/H at present and have noticed every M/H has excitedly wave back some flashing their lights. We even said it must be the first time this has happened and put down to being let out at last. Long may it continue, the waving and our freedom.
Ray

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, also did to fellow tuggers before we crossed over. Ditto for when driving my car to owners of the same model. 👍

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
In NZ, members of the Motor Caravan Association wave to fellow members as soon as they spot their "wings" - the red sticker that indicates they are members of the organisation. The stickers are usually quite dominant on the luton or windscreen.
Strangely, we never wave to the rental motorhomes that are usually being driven by overseas tourists. You'd think we'd wave to them first and foremost to make them feel welcome but we seem to be a bit cliquish.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Motor bikers nod to each other, mothormoers wave to each other, cyclists say good morning...walkers smile and say hello too, its nice.
cmon you miserable lot....brighten yours and someone day... :drinks: :love:

Nirvanauk spread the love maaaaan. (distracting lol)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Usually do when i can, used to have a VW T5 and it started there a wee nod or a wave. Honestly brightens our day sharing something you love doing with others of the same mindset. Especially after the year weve had cant wait to get out in a couple of weeks again. Toytally understand those that dont were not all the same but hey ho enjoy..
Most enthusiastic was a passenger in an A Class last year in France last 3 of the reg was MXY if its someone on here full on 2 hander very exited fair made my day (y):LOL::LOL:

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Yes, although rarely on dual-carriageways and very rarely on motorways. When I tugged for a couple of years tried out waving to other tuggers, but never got any response, except curious stares.
In the 1960s, like ManTheVan , used to wave to fellow VW beetle owners in the UK; although didn't bother when I got back home, would've been too distracting in Germany.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
I’m a friendly sausage and wave at all types all of the time but I do have a different wave for different vehicle types. For the veedub brigade I raise a single finger (whilst holding the wheel, not the middle one!) because 99% don’t wave back and probably think I’m a tosser.
For PVCs I raise four fingers whilst holding the wheel because it shows a mutual respect and many are owned by peeps who have downsized.
For mohos I always give a cheerful wave which can be quickly adapted to a five knuckle shuffle if they don’t wave back.
Like my grand mother always said, it’s nice to be nice.
And for the Morellos, I salute 😉

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Do you drive an automatic? Just wondered as taking your hand off the steering wheel to change gear is the same as lifting hand to wave. I think ‘dangerous‘ is an exaggeration
I always look to see if I can see the Fun smile sticker and wave
Ford cars are 10 a penny Motorhomes not quite yet😁

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All that plus having a fag and coffee on the go.

Its multi tasking (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back