Do you vaccinate (booster) your dog/cat every year? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are so many reports these days that annual vaccinations are killing our pets and that they are just not necessary. In my experience at least it seems that even with all the advances in veterinary medicine many of our dogs that reach adulthood are dying younger than when I was a kid, and mostly with cancers.

We tend to vaccinate ourselves once, yet we vaccinate our dogs every 12 months regardless. Why? Do they need it? Or is it a sick, cynical, money making exercise?

Having horrifyingly seen as a kid a litter of puppies suffer with distemper, I understand more than most the need for vaccinations. But are we killing our pets by vaccinating every year, a lot of clever people now think we are. What to do. I understand that (Titer) immunity checks are getting better and I'm grateful I have a whole year to decide if my pup will be vaccinated again.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We do. I have a friend with a child who has autism. Like many she believes this was caused by MMR. Of course the scientific arguments are fierce and with most of the funding for research coming from the pharmaceutical industry they mostly find in favour of the vaccines.

But.. like you say, some of the illnesses we vaccinate dogs (and humans) for are nasty. So we vaccinate.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
There are so many reports these days that annual vaccinations are killing our pets and that they are just not necessary. In my experience at least it seems that even with all the advances in veterinary medicine many of our dogs that reach adulthood are dying younger than when I was a kid, and mostly with cancers.

We tend to vaccinate ourselves once, yet we vaccinate our dogs every 12 months regardless. Why? Do they need it? Or is it a sick, cynical, money making exercise?

Having horrifyingly seen as a kid a litter of puppies suffer with distemper, I understand more than most the need for vaccinations. But are we killing our pets by vaccinating every year, a lot of clever people now think we are. What to do. I understand that (Titer) immunity checks are getting better and I'm grateful I have a whole year to decide if my pup will be vaccinated again.
Gulp, our Boxer Heidi has just had her booster, now you have me thinking :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I vaccinate both dogs and cats yearly, I treat with Frontline and worm them all. You only have to see what they eat to see it's the best thing to do.
My last 3 dogs died at 13, 15, 13 so it can't be harming them. The cats are 12 now and as we live in the sticks they could pick up anything from the locals, I mean the sheep and cattle. ;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes we would vaxinate, because the vet said we should and as I know nothing about the sudject to decide anything different, I assume the Vet is acting in my pets best interest.

Would you argue with a doctor ? :whistle:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
My own personal view is that overall dog health is declining due to over breeding of so called pedigree dogs. The only pedigree we've ever had, albeit still a rescue, died of leukaemia when she was two. There are exceptions to every rule, but as long as people keep buying dogs from people who breed dogs for a living health problems will remain, as will thousands of unwanted dogs.
All of our cross breed rescues have led long healthy lives, one medium sized terrier making 19. We've also always had more than one which I'm convinced keeps them active and helps with health, although I appreciate not everyone is in a position to do that.

Malcolm

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We vaccinate both ours yearly. Did ask our vet about titer testing now Marmite is 11 after reading pros and cons of vaccinating yearly. Their advice was to keep up with vaccinations and they don't offer titer testing.
As both Marmite and John are both healthy (touch wood), I can't see that yearly vacs have done any harm.....so far :rolleyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am no expert (obviously).. But my feelings are that @emjaiuk is correct. The increase in health issues I would guess are a combination of breeding practices and better diagnosis.

Yearly boosters do surprise me though...

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We vaccinate our chihuahua now as he is only 2 1/2 and meets alot of dogs due to our travels ..
I think it depends on your environment or style of life ..
When our GSDs use to show and were mixing with other dogs they were always up to date with their vaccs but once they retired only every other year luckily our vet believed you can over do it ..

Our terrier was 18.. our other 3 were 13 and 14 yrs when they passed on

Surely they must build up resistance over the years ....

Kath

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I had my vet call me the other day to say Blues booster is due. Bless him he's 15 next week but since I will be taking him away briefly overseas I'm getting him done.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Would you argue with a doctor ?
Yes, definitely. I did just recently, got a second opinion and went elsewhere for the treatment.

I understand Jims question, as i too have been wondering about the yearly vaccinations. I read somewhere that the manufactures orginally reccommended a booster every 3 years, but cannot find this info now. I also read that once a dog reaches about 8 years old, the protection from all the vaccinations cannot be strengthened by more.

Will do some digging around and see if I can find the article.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I except there are always exceptions, but I bet that the majority of people, including me, act like kids in a headmasters office. Yes doctor, no doctor three bags full doctor/ vet. :whistle:

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Having spoken at length recently with a Raw Food supplier we are seriously considering the long term ramifications of annual vaccinations, flea and worming routines for our puppy.

Having recently shelled out £500+ to our vet for no clear diagnosis of problem (just £90 worth of anti-inflammatory tablets), the cynic in me is really starting to question the relationships between the big pet food / drug companies, vets and pet insurance companies.

I know pet owners only want the best for their babies but I do think we are sub-consciously being indoctrinated through the powers of TV (advertising and vet programmes) into believing that drugs / medical science, alongside pet insurance is the only way to safeguard them.

Plenty of research out there......Google's your friend!

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
My previous two dogs were 17 and 15 years old, vacinations always kept up to date, the only thing they never received was commercially produced foods.
Don't kid yourself that the meaty chunks in the tin or pouch are prime fillet, slowly aged in a temperature controlled factory or that the cereals are grade A as used for human consumption. Sick, injured or dead on arrival animals are what goes into the big mincer along with the grains and other products deemed unfit for human consumption.
Have a look on the label for country of production of some well advertised animal feed products, and then try to tell me that Thailand is a centre of excellence for production of domestic pet foods.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My old cat is over 17 now and she has only been to the vet twice. She has never had any vaccinations. On her last visit about a year ago the vets only comment was how good her teeth were and she had clearly been fed on good quality food.

When she does die we are getting a dog so I will follow this thread with interest.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
My previous two dogs were 17 and 15 years old, vacinations always kept up to date, the only thing they never received was commercially produced foods.
Don't kid yourself that the meaty chunks in the tin or pouch are prime fillet, slowly aged in a temperature controlled factory or that the cereals are grade A as used for human consumption. Sick, injured or dead on arrival animals are what goes into the big mincer along with the grains and other products deemed unfit for human consumption.
Have a look on the label for country of production of some well advertised animal feed products, and then try to tell me that Thailand is a centre of excellence for production of domestic pet foods.

And don't forget there's also any artificial joints, plates, screws, bolts etc. that go in there too!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
No we dont, why not? all the young vet's in the practice push for it but our old standing vet when asked said nothing but shook his head, but said yes to frontline or advocate, We have had 3 rescued Persians (not know for long life) Trina was 16 when she went, Bella 14, hopefully Lewie now 12 will go on a bit longer but has had quite bad intestinal problems so this may have an effect on his time here.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My old cat is over 17 now and she has only been to the vet twice. She has never had any vaccinations. On her last visit about a year ago the vets only comment was how good her teeth were and she had clearly been fed on good quality food.

When she does die we are getting a dog so I will follow this thread with interest.

I tell a lie. The young vet also said she had a heart murmur and recommended she see a cat cardiologist. I pointed out that she had this murmur since she was a kitten and was now over 16 and did she ( the vet) really think it was worthwhile to which the response was a no. I think the vet saw £ signs more than the cats best interests.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours have annual boosters plus annual kennel cough vaccination. They also have monthly flea & worm treatments and 3 monthly tapeworm treatments unless we're abroad.

We occasionally have to leave them either in kennels or with a home boarder so we have to keep the boosters up to date no matter what but I think I would regardless. I've not seen any compelling evidence to suggest doing otherwise.

I suppose it depends on what the dog does - if they never ever come into contact with any other dogs and never ever go anywhere where other dogs have been then in theory they don't need any vaccines. If they do then is it really worth the risk?

There are enough cases of both Parvovirus and Leptospirosis recorded in the UK each year for it to be a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

It's not like it's a massive amount of money either. £100 for each dog has got them all their boosters for life from my vet so you can't really call that a money making exercise.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
if i didn't spend most of the year in Europe and needed the stamp for the Pet Passport - then I wouldn't have mine done.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
if i didn't spend most of the year in Europe and needed the stamp for the Pet Passport - then I wouldn't have mine done.

Technically you don't need annual boosters to be up to date to get the pet passport, they aren't recorded anywhere in it, however the vet who issues it and who gives the rabies booster is signing to say that the dog is healthy and fit to travel and they are within their rights to say this may not be the case if the annual boosters aren't up to date.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We do not do boosters, Frontline yes .We were told years ago by an old vet it was a total waste of money and some cause more problems than do good.Worked for us.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Technically you don't need annual boosters to be up to date to get the pet passport, they aren't recorded anywhere in it, however the vet who issues it and who gives the rabies booster is signing to say that the dog is healthy and fit to travel and they are within their rights to say this may not be the case if the annual boosters aren't up to date.

There are plenty of vets around that advocate a booster only every 3 years. So finding one of those to issue the pet passport shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yes we would vaxinate, because the vet said we should and as I know nothing about the sudject to decide anything different, I assume the Vet is acting in my pets best interest.

Would you argue with a doctor ? :whistle:

I not only argue with my doctor, but the vet too. Those days of meekly adhering to the 'doctor knows best' scenario are long gone. In my view there are too many vaccinations given to our babies at too young an age, and I don't believe yearly boosters are necessary for our dogs either. I would bring your notice to 'thalidomide, statins, HPV, vaccines' until the medical and big pharma industries accept that 'some' people and ergo some animals react and suffer dire consequences due to vaccinations and other medications to boot, and are totally honest and upfront about their research and the total outcomes of trials, then it's in our own best interests to question, question, question.......having said that, it looks like we will have to do annual boosters if we want pet passports,nbut won't do it the times we remain in the UK

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
There is no legal requirement for the 'fit to travel' section of a pets passport to be completed unless the pet is traveling without direct supervision of a responsible person, e.g. as airfreight. I expect all vets should check whether or not the pet is fit enough to receive the prescribed medication, and I would imagine that their liability insurance would require them to notify the owner of any problems they notice. The degree and thoroughness of the examination may be part of the reason for the wide discrepancy of continental vet charges

Malcolm

ps I forget to add that we ask our vet to fill in the section on other medication with their annual booster details just in case, and also for our records

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Used the Sam vet for twenty years old school vet
Our dog has had his puppy corce and I think two more at three yerly intervils
He is 8 yo now and I due next year when he is 9 yo our last dog lived to almost 17 with the same regem she had distemper when he got her and lived to a very good age and only visited the vet when needed ie every three years
If I remember she was only vacensted til she was 9 yo
Didn't need any more if I remember
Bill

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
It's a condition of our dog's medical insurance that we vaccinate / treat as recommended by the vet, with documentary evidence of such treatment having been applied.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have been a dog owner for over 40 years and, until about 8 years ago, slavishly got my dogs vaccinated every year.

When my last 2 cockers got to be 10 years old, I stopped the yearly boosters after one of them became quite sick as a result of the drugs used and each of them lived to be 15.

After a lot of research, I came to the same conclusion as Jim, overdosing on vaccine every year can cause health problems so Buzz, who is 2, won't be getting his annual booster this year - probably not until he's 5.

I've never been fond of flea treatment until we had a problem with them a few years ago and I started giving my elderly cocker a monthly treatment. This changed to the all new 3-monthly Bravecto until a friend's dog died at the age of just 9 months within days of taking the same drug.

Buzz now has a daily dose of herbal Billy No Mates instead of potent insecticides.

We don't go abroad and we don't leave him in kennels so it's no one's decision but mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back