Do you use your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Was wondering does everybody use their motorhomes 100% all the time for their holidays U.k and Europe...or does anyone go on the occassional say cruise or far flung places holiday?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We now use ours 100% for holidays since we bought the new van and got a dog.
It would be too inconvenient, not to say expensive to flit off for a tour in the states as we used to :Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'd love to but it takes me all my time to keep the MH going since retirement. I might starve, but I'll manage it somehow.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We will use ours more from now but still intend to have another long RV trip in the States perhaps this year. Its an incredible way to holiday ::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Motorhome, motorhome, motorhome:thumb:

Can't stand hotels, B&Bs etc, just me so always MH. As has been said by others , if we did the US/Canada thing (fingers crossed one day, retirement:Doh:) again we'd hire, or buy if there long enough and sell at the end, or maybe import.....

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I'd like to have one to go on holiday in!!!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
At the moment its the Motorhome we holiday in and our first trip abroad will be in August to France.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We tend to do all sorts. We have membership of a holiday club and one of the ways we sometimes holiday is to select a resort (for example Bavaria) and then spend a couple of weeks getting there staying at various camps on the route that we fancy, spend a couple of weeks at the resort, then make our way home by a different route. We call this a hybrid holiday as it is a hybrid of resort holiday and motorhome holiday (no - getaway:Doh:). It gives us a bit of a break from the driving, access to a nice swimming pool and sauna (usually) and also allows us to do all the laundry while we're at the resort::bigsmile:.
A couple of years ago we covered some of Sweden in this way.

John

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Went to see our son & family in October last year.

Thought it would be a great trip to do in the motor home.

Poured over maps worked out how far it was & what it would cost,

THEN WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS TO SINGAPORE.
DECIDED IT WAS TOO FAR TO DRIVE FOR A WEEKEND:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Was wondering does everybody use their motorhomes 100% all the time for their holidays U.k and Europe...or does anyone go on the occassional say cruise or far flung places holiday?

:RollEyes: Now let me see? We use our RV in Spain for 8 months of the years as living accomodation. We use our commuter Suntor for the other 4 months travelling backwards and forwards and for living accomodation in the UK. So YES and NO. NOT all the time. :ROFLMAO:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We occasionally take holidays without the van but we never tell her. :Smile:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We only ever motorhome holiday. The kids are not always grateful of that, asking why we cant fly to Spain. However in truth, I can only afford the motorhome because we use it for holidays. But the added bonus is the ammount of holidays we can and do have ans well as the amount of weekends we have away. we have lived in our motorhome by comparison for a full year. amazing how quickly the nights add up. :thumb:

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have used our van every day for the past 5 years as we fulltime. Life is one big holiday. Must confess we did go to GOA for the whole of January this year. Missed a lot of the snow.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
mix it up

away in the m/h over newyear, had a nice time ? , mon - fri on a shearings bus holiday to torquay ? no snow , no rain , no driving , 3 trips included (£17 extra ), dartmoor , plymouth , excellent food , overlooking the sea , room hot & cosy , guinness on offer at £1.50 a pint cost £99 per person , back home . 2 weekends away in the m/h (only local ), booked a weeks norwegian fjords end of june , its our 40th wedding anniversary this year ?, (ruby ) so i thought i had better shape myself this year , I just hope she does not run off with my best mate jim because i like him:roflmto:
regards.
mr bean

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
We use ours for all our holidays bar one, when we have a week in a narrowboat on a canal somewhere.
We also use it for lots of weekends during the year on rallies and drag racing meetings at York Raceway.
Can't see the point of spending all that money and having it sat doing nothing! :Smile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
In the 5 and a bit years we`ve had ours we only went once without the MH that was to visit my son in brisbane We did look at goin to Portugal I can get 10 days all in for about 400.00 to take the van on the ferry to Spain £700 plus diesel no contest. The down side will be if the hotel is crap we`re stuck.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/20709-do-you-use-your-motorhome-3.html#p

100%----prob 20 years since we had a hotel hol and still happy, the wife will tell people shes going away for 3 months but its not realy a hol cos we are in the van. cant wait for the next trip 21/04/10 to 21/07/10 french oil companies permitting.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We try and get out in the van most weekends of the year apart from just before and just after Krimble as woman likes to 'get every thing ready' ::bigsmile:

We was going to do a yank trip this year but instead booked the ferry and gonna drive up to Spain and see what that's like ( done most of the rest of Europe ! )
That means ever since we got involved with MH we have used a van for our main hols as well as pretty much all trips :Smile:

Mezza

Funster
Oct 2, 2009
Funster No
Hi everyone,
we use our MH as often as we can BUT we do go on a Thomson Cruise once a year cos they are SO much fun and good value for money and we wake up to somewhere different every day.
The thing is that we also tow a Goldwing motorcycle wherever we go as our mode of transport and also the love of our life :loveyou:
We are also in the Goldwing Club where we use the MH most weekends throughout the year to rallies.
Would like to do more but elderly parents are now a concern.
However we do go away midweek when we can.
Have toured all areas of France,Germany,Italy etc in the past
Do not talk to me about Hotels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are going to Jersey courtesy of Airmiles BUT abroad NO WAY

Sorry girls but I just love to cook, so, all the local fish,meat etc when we are abroad gets me really excited and cannot wait to try them when we get back,vino in hand!!!!

For me I just love the total freedom and the chance to meet others
or just be by yourselves and get up at 11.00 as we often do!
And after 40 yrs of marriage ...........
I think we deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lots of love xxxx:hug:

Last edited:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
i ues it most of the time as the wife kicks me out and if she dose not then i cores a row and of i go again

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
We use the RV for ALL our holidays and some weekends, solely because Maureen is disabled and her sleep patterns dont suit other holiday methods.

We tried a Holiday in Portugal in 2008 in a supposedly disabled friendly appartment, flew out from Bournemouth to Faro. NEVER AGAIN her treatment abroad was perfect apart from the slope to the appartment was too steep for her electric wheel chair and she and it came a croper.

In this Country she was left outside in the cold on the tarmac whilst all the able bodied passengers were loaded first, as they were only able to use one door of the aeroplane and the steps were already there. Someone in the Terminal building had forgotten to order the hydralic lift. On our return journey we had to go to Coventry as I had missed our booked flight home. They dont have Disabled access to the aeroplanes in Coventry??????

They came along with something that ressembled a pair of sack trucks, but in place of the wheels they had a cog mechanisim. It was blowing a gale plus it was raining and the journey down the steps took about 10 minutes. So as you can now see thats why we only use the RV, you're your own boss and you do everything the way you want to.

Brian

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
All our hols and weekends away, and days out are in our motorhome...................just me, the wife and our dog.....................what more could you want!!!

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
When we had the Winnebago, Claire always seemed to find reasons why we could not go.

We used it once last year and when I sold it I worked out the weekend away, five miles down the road cost us £3,000!

Since owning the Concord, Claire has loved every weekend away and we have had three this year already.

We are trying to do a week in France but time is at a premium. I am away in the Lake District on a photographic holiday with Eleanor for a week. We are in a villa in Spain for a week later in the year and we have a number of weekends already booked in the RV. We may be able to go to France the first week of the summer holidays, fingers crossed.

In general, it is for us, a way of getting away for weekends. Running the business means we cannot go away for more than a week at a time so we make up for it by using the RV.

Regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back