Do you use your motorhome through winter or do you lay it up? (1 Viewer)

Do you use your motorhome during winter or lock it up for the duration?

• Yes

Votes: 95 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We don't use ours much in Winter - probably two or three trips. But we don't ever decommission or store it. It's parked outside the house equipped with everything except fresh food and underwear(!) Ready at a moments notice. :giggle:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We don't use ours much in Winter - probably two or three trips. But we don't ever decommission or store it. It's parked outside the house equipped with everything except fresh food and underwear(!) Ready at a moments notice. :giggle:
So.......you have used underwear in the ‘van at all times then....? ;)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Vegetate?

:unsure:
Google is your friend 😀
Screenshot_20201119-135955_Samsung Internet.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
We try and get a weekend away once a month November,Dec ,Jan ,Feb march......then full throttle for the rest of the year ..helps my itchy feet problem.
Winter's no problem as long as it's not raining..can't stand muddy shoes or wet dog in my motorhome 😖

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Always kept on the drive ready to go. Normally have awel or so in France/Belgium for the Christmas markets and use the van for as many weekends in this country throughout the year.

Lovely and warm inside even with snow on the ground outside!

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Would like to use it more through winter, ( sadly used all our holidays up for this year) roll on next year..better planning required ::bigsmile: (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I was wondering how many of us use use our motorhomes during the winter months or lay it up for the duration of the colder months?

My personal thoughts are that modern motorhomes are well prepared for winter & therefor (CV-19 allowing) I see no point is not using it.
There is something nice about chilling out on a stormy winters day on a site with the heating on & a good book or movies to while away some relaxing time.

However, I can understand that some folks cannot stand the cold & maybe more so, don't like the dark nights.
If you don't use the motorhome in winter, could you explain why?
We don't even use ours in Britain never mind about winter 🌞🏖️👍

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have managed to get away for Xmas & New year since we bought the van 3 years ago, and also every Fun Rally on offer that we can attend during the darker months.
We are going to miss Baltic Wharf Bristol for Xmas & all our mates at Shrewsbury New Years bash this year, hope all stay well & safe.
Unless things with Covid improve, We cant even do plan B & visit our family up in Ayrshire over Xmas/new year.
Its going to be very different for us both to be stuck at home this year, especially as we are very Bah humbug when at home over xmas, as we have always managed to escape the mad rush in the shops, and all the commercial crap that xmas has become.
Slightly off topic but:
I might seek out some volunteer work this year feeding the homeless like our neighbours did a few years back, very rewarding to offer help out & a hot meal to those that need it, unless Covid has buggered that arrangement up also.
Best wishes.
LES

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Definitely yes... use all winter..
Interesting results though...
Thought the results would be more even after all the Sorn'ers that would seem to be on here.
You don't think they Sorn and then still use van??????
No silly notion... coarse they don't. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Used to love kayaking in winter in our vdub. Now 40 years on and I leave the kayak in the fond memory dept

Attachments

• 7-13-2009_030 (3).JPG
    7-13-2009_030 (3).JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 15
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I was wondering how many of us use use our motorhomes during the winter months or lay it up for the duration of the colder months?

My personal thoughts are that modern motorhomes are well prepared for winter & therefor (CV-19 allowing) I see no point is not using it.
There is something nice about chilling out on a stormy winters day on a site with the heating on & a good book or movies to while away some relaxing time.

However, I can understand that some folks cannot stand the cold & maybe more so, don't like the dark nights.
If you don't use the motorhome in winter, could you explain why?

I think its a strange question ?
Do you use your motorhome through winter - NO
or
do you lay it up?- YES
I think 2 questions should have been asked ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
as an answer to what I said above, we don't use it in the winter, but it's still all taxed, insured and MOT'd. I generally work on it during the winter, minor things that we saw wrong, didn't like or wanted to change, during the summer, as it's parked right outside our house

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Agree, the pole is unanswerable.
Yes I didn't proof read it before posting, had never done one of these polls before, it was just idle curiosity & I'm busy learning to keep out of things on the forum.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'd certainly use my van over winter, for weekend escapes, if allowed. It get's more challenging since too many sites close, and although I'm happy to be using the onboard stuff and for a couple of days I don't even want EHU, I do prefer sites simply for the convenience of knowing I'm in a secure environment without fear that someone will want me to move on so I can have a drink or two. It should be said I enjoy the escape and change of scene in the van, which is in much better condition that the house, so shutting the door on that mess is great :) Indeed being wrapped up warm and snug in the van, even when the window might be howling, and rain pattering on the roof is in a strange way quite comforting. It's really frustrating to know it's sat outside of the house, with nowhere to go. Even though over winter I do drain down water after each use, that's something that only takes a couple of minutes, and again to refill, it's more of a chore loading and unloading food, bedding and stuff that will need to be cleaned between trips out.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have marked yes cos if covid wasn’t here and all the restrictions with it, we would been in Germany for 10 days in December, so I think that would qualify for “Use over winter”👍👍😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back