Do You Use Your MH in Winter Conditions? (1 Viewer)

Are you a Rough and Tough Winter Camper?

• Yes! I am descended from the Eskimos!No way

Votes: 93 92.1%
  • No way! Its bad for my joints you know!

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes , all year round. Were presently at Pateley Bridge , show ground on a CCC rally. We've been over to Grassington for the day. Couldn't see more than 6 foot in front of you over the dales because of the fog . It's damp and drizzely but do we care ? No. Had some lovely lunch in a nice pub , now back at pateley bridge. Webastos ticking away nicely , were lovely and warm . The only thing thatstops us going anywhere is boggy ground. :thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We have several motorhomers and caravanners using the site in the winter and again -17 :whatthe: with 5 motorhomes celebrating new year.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Used ours for a month over Christmas and New year as an extra bedroom, parked in on our drive while our son from New Zealand stayed with us, while they had jet lag and were up in the early hours, we were toastie in the van, lovely. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
We use our van all year round when we can. We have to negotiate steep hill to get in and out so when away have to keep aware of weather forecast.

Some good times spent in winter in warm van, all white outside. Good friends, wine and food available.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All year round for us.:thumb:

It's never occurred to me not to use it in Winter.

bazzasamps

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years
bazzasamps

PLENTY OPEN IN SPAIN. BUSBY::bigsmile:

We live in Scarborough so only use motor home in winter down bottom of Spain, to kayak surf and cycle til the weather improves back home. Can't do it in cold weather the old arthritis kicks in, no prob down there.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We too use our van all winter in north of Scotland and always over Hogmanay. Coldest we've been in this van was -15 and were fine and cosy. Can't beat the Highlands in the winter!

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Don't know yet! :whatthe: We've only had our MH since last December and for various reasons didn't get out last winter.
So we'll see how we get on this coming winter especially with record breaking snowfall apparently forecast next month! :Eeek:

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Don't know if the alps are ready, I know we are.
Vans ready to bounce, mot'd and serviced, including new brakes all round, :cry: that's put the charger back a bit.:Sad:
Why are you up for a repeat:thumb:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't know if the alps are ready, I know we are.
Vans ready to bounce, mot'd and serviced, including new brakes all round, :cry: that's put the charger back a bit.:Sad:
Why are you up for a repeat:thumb:

Only if your rear springs can take it!!!:Eeek:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Could do with them lasting a lot longer than the brake discs did

After seeing the weight of beer in your bunk beds, I`m not surprised your brakes have been cooked on those Alpine passes Pete!!!!!:roflmto:

Heavy metal meltdown in the Chauson next time!! Ours is at 3850kg and has uprated rear springs! Rock on!!!

Last edited:

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
We got out in the van as much as possible before we went fulltime.... now we head south for our holiday ::bigsmile: after spending our summer looking after you campers :thumb:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Double-hard Funsters in Winter action!!!!!:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Parked in the snow are Petensal, Champers and Sherrif, Ash, CLS, Monsi and us! The location is Europe`s highest ski resort, Val Thorens!
A special mention to Haganap for encouraging nutters like us in the first place!:thumb:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not in minus temperatures but yes I have. I don't have heating but my van's so tiny, boiling a kettle warms it up. The half-inch gaps round the windows can be a bit problematic but I don't like sleeping without fresh air so all's good.:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Live in it full time. Seen -22C in the UK in it...

No problems. Although I don't drive it anywhere if there is snow on the road. I am confident in my abilities but I see too many arses who think the back end sliding all over the place on a main road is funny.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use ours all year round and probably more in the winter due to commitments. So far we have used the new van in -15 and the inside was lovely and toasty, we used the old van in -12 and it was fine even thopugh it wasnt winterised.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think any modern coach built would be too cold in winter these days. The only difference between a winterised van and others is whether the water system will keep frost free.
If you have tanks and pipes prone to freezing, as mentioned earlier, you can always use water from a container and use site facilities if available.:thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Wee too use ours whenever we can even although it's supposedly non winterised.The last time it was around minus 6 or 7 and I only had the electric part of our truma heater on and mrs Vlad was too hot!
I'm no expert but I'd imagine pretty much any van out there with a heater can be used in winter in the uk .The only issue that needs addressing is the water system,as said just drain down and take bottled wafer .

Vlad

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Great minds think alike,you typing away in bed too John.!

Vlad

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Used ours for a month over Christmas and New year as an extra bedroom, parked in on our drive while our son from New Zealand stayed with us, while they had jet lag and were up in the early hours, we were toastie in the van, lovely. :thumb:
We'er getting our own back this year as we are flying off to New Zealand for 7 weeks soon, looked at shipping our van out there but at a cost of £4.000 we felt we could have a great holiday there for that price. Now that my wife is retiring, hopefully we will start using our van in the winter too. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I might give up Autumn motorhoming.

Just had a lovely weekend in Canterbury but got completely and utterly soaked this morning before setting off:Sad:

My God it's wet and miserable in Kent today. it was lovely yesterday.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Started undersealing and waxoyling ours today, hopefully to minimise the effects of road salt on our chassis.
I remember arriving back in Blighty last year from skiing and we were driving through lakes of salt water on the motorways!:cry:
I rinsed the underside of the van thoroughly with the hose on our arrival home.:thumb:

Anyway, I started at the back and 3 hrs on, got as far as the back axle. Its going to be a long job!!!:Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes nothing stops us but we have a bigger and better van now
Calais%20day%201-M.jpg

Rouen%20day%202-M.jpg

Frozen%20fountain-M.jpg

DSC_1250-M.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived on the motorhome last winter, along with 2 dogs and 2 cats, to be near to my daughter who had given birth to a very premature baby. It was easier living in a 6.7m motorhome than an enormous house in France. Spent it all on C&CC. Sites in Wiltshire.
Doing same this winter, with a winter seasonal pitch in Dorset. And visiting daughter/ grandchildren every 3 weeks.
As long as you're happy in a small space it's no problem. Have Internet, TV, radio & books & Moreton C&CC site, being next to railway station, means I can visit friends or take dogs to the beach at Weymouth easily.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back