Do you use the loo sink ? (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I use mine morning & evening, no, JJ not for shaving, but for washing my face, using contact lenses and cleaning teeth. Wouldn't like not to have one.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
DEFINITELY need a loo sink..... Wouldn't want to wash my face in the sink that dirty dish water just might have splashed and be lingering... and wouldn't want to spit toothpaste down the kitchen sink ... but then I am strange apparently.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hand sanitizers do work against viruses but as an adjunct, soap and water first. Sink essential for me, i would not come out of loo at home and walk into kitchen to wash my hands, ours is a PVC with a drop down sink, better than nothing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for a sink in the toilet. An absolute must for us. Using the kitchen sink tap after a trip to the bog is a no-no even for a dirty sod like me! Would never buy a motorhome without one. And we use it to clean teeth.

GEOFFREY

Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
BOURNE LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1992
As said in one of my Fenlander posts, the last five of our vans all had showers that were in fact NEVER used.
Not because we are dirty devils (both 72 years young now, so no need for other comments), but because we have only ever used sites with ful facilities. The bathroom sink is however something that we could not do without . No shower - perhaps - no bathroom sink - no way. Geoff.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Gas regs don't actually apply to motorhomes other than as guidelines (unless the motorhome is to be hired out in the course of a business then they apply) but yes the gas locker should ideally be made out of stainless or galv steel sheet and no you should not run any other services through it, especially not electric. Gas reg should be bulkhead mounted and inside the locker with a manifold with shut off valves elsewhere.

D.
by the time youve made or paid for a locker you must be getting close to a small under slung tank considering the space it frees up as well

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I like to have a mirror above the sink to see what I'm doing (checking teeth for spinach etc)! I wash my hands pretty frequently and as I often have the cover over the kitchen sink, it's easier to use the bathroom sink.
In public toilets I use my sleeve to open the doors after washing my hands. In the same vein, I have never been tempted by the bowls of nuts on a pub's bar!

?

Deleted User
My next van (self build) will be a lot larger. I would never want a loo in the van so no. Im quite happy digging a hole but 99.5% i would be booked into a camp sight anyway and more than happy to use the loos provided.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We wouldn't be without one, hand washing after using the loo, brushing teeth, applying make-up, ( the Boss Lady, not me).

Not quite past it yet but steadily working our way there means that even if on a site we don't want to go wandering to a loo for the constant nocturnal toilet visits, so hand washing is vital.

Hymie

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Terry uses it every day for shaving, cleaning teeth and washing.also hand washing after toilet. Same for me except shaving lol. Would never buy a mh without one.
When our sink was out of action it just feels wrong to clean teeth etc in kitchen sink !

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I don't like my man shaving in the loo basin, as all those bits go down into the waste water tank, and I am sure they just sit there and don't drain out when I empty it. So he shaves (or not) in the facilities if we have them. Otherwise he grows a beard.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I like to have a mirror above the sink to see what I'm doing (checking teeth for spinach etc)! I wash my hands pretty frequently and as I often have the cover over the kitchen sink, it's easier to use the bathroom sink.
In public toilets I use my sleeve to open the doors after washing my hands. In the same vein, I have never been tempted by the bowls of nuts on a pub's bar!

Me too, Jane, and I used to go one further when I was young... if the loo had one of those push button flushes on the back wall, I would raise my leg and push it with my foot ..... aahh those were the days.. :_

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't like my man shaving in the loo basin, as all those bits go down into the waste water tank, and I am sure they just sit there and don't drain out when I empty it. So he shaves (or not) in the facilities if we have them. Otherwise he grows a beard.
I've tried and tried to get him not to shave in there but to no avail, I too am worried about all the hair that goes into the tank.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And wee at the same time? :thumb: as you are brushing :thumb:

Ergonomic innet? saves time!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
and water!:thumb::thumb:
PS; as long as Rangi is not staying with us!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well, that took all of two minutes for the inevitable.........

Serious question, though for a self builder. Glad you actually got a sensible answer or two:thumb:

Gawd! Who resurrected this old one?

For all you newbies out there (since April 20140 I was joking!!!

Honest!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hand sanitizers do work against viruses but as an adjunct, soap and water first. Sink essential for me, i would not come out of loo at home and walk into kitchen to wash my hands, ours is a PVC with a drop down sink, better than nothing.
But not effective against E.Coli

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
Sod's Law = as soon as you fill the sink with water for a wash you want to weee again so what a waste of water, that is if you have one of those tip up foldaway sinks.

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
ps. when I redesigned our van I did away with the fold away sink and put in a small pedestal basin.

VAJ

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Converted ambulance
Exp
always use the sink in the bathroom for hand washing and teeth cleaning. wouldnt want toilet germs in the kitchen area, so a small basin in the bathroom is essential. wouldnt buy one without these days.

however we managed just fine years ago in 1960s and 70s vans. in those days you were posh if you had a portapotti inside the van, often behind a curtain. then just a foot pumped single cold tap in the galley area. ohhh those were the days. bugger I'm getting old
Portapotti behind a curtain? Have you been peeking in our van?!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We've just put a water filter on the cold water tap in the bathroom. The filter wouldn't fit in the kitchen cupboard, so we will be getting our drinking water from our loo sink!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I think it may make a big difference who is using the van, just one? In my case I only use the sink to put things in that I should put back in the cupboards. I could go one step further and say that the door wouldn’t be missed ether give me more room to site on the bog.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Depends how on type of camping I think. Occasional van you could probably make do with wet wipes and sanitizer but for longer trips/ full timing I definitely like a separate sink for washing hands after loo use, cleaning teeth etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Occasional van you could probably make do with wet wipes and sanitizer

make do .. ? or do by choice ?

in an emergency, yes, .. for example.. if we lived in Aleppo, no water , bombs falling .. but not by choice ... I'd rather wash at a cold outside tap than use wet wipes.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We've just put a water filter on the cold water tap in the bathroom. The filter wouldn't fit in the kitchen cupboard, so we will be getting our drinking water from our loo sink!

Hope you dont mind me asking Gerri what make water Filter did you fit ?
PS @Terry i now this thread is 2 yrs old what is your opinion now about fitting a sink ?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Will look in the morning Kate. We got it from Malvern - I think it's the company who offer the MHF discount.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hope you dont mind me asking Gerri what make water Filter did you fit ?
PS @Terry i now this thread is 2 yrs old what is your opinion now about fitting a sink ?
I fitted one (y) it holds shampoo and the loo roll ;)
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back