Do you use Kaspersky Anti Virus? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You may want to remove it from your computer and move to an alternative.

There is a lot of talk about Russian Government involvement in modifications to the software to spy.

It is probably negative U.S. propaganda, however it is not worth the risk in my opinion.

The main source for this latest part of this story is The Wall Street Journal which is not really a trustworthy source. However many other sources in the tech industry have been commenting around this for some time.

The U.S. government including the security agencies have all banned this software from their computers...

There have been enough flags raised now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41580850
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-used-russian-state-hackers-trawl-us-secrets/

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I did use that a lot in my early days of laptop use but now I use tablets . mostly and use ÀVG paid version on my phone and tablets.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Gromett What is your opinion of AVG? I had a problem with the latest update and AVG Internet Security (paid version) on one of my computers went into Passive Mode (their jargon for switched off) because the software 'thought' another security package was running on the pc which there wasn't. Although AVG support sorted it out for me the experience slightly dented my faith in the product. Should I be concerned?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My brother put it on one of my lap top for me when he done sum work i removed it as soon as i fund out it was Russian for i worked in Russia and know even till this day its a secret stat any opportunity they didn't even try to hid the name
Kaspersky it's in the name any thing that comes out of Russia should be treat with suspicion come on @Gromett pleas tell me you didn't have it installed
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It sounds like a virus, don't know about anti virus,

either that or its the Russian woman who keeps asking me to marry her :LOL:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You may want to remove it from your computer and move to an alternative.

There is a lot of talk about Russian Government involvement in modifications to the software to spy.

It is probably negative U.S. propaganda, however it is not worth the risk in my opinion.

The main source for this latest part of this story is The Wall Street Journal which is not really a trustworthy source. However many other sources in the tech industry have been commenting around this for some time.

The U.S. government including the security agencies have all banned this software from their computers...

There have been enough flags raised now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41580850
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-used-russian-state-hackers-trawl-us-secrets/
My son who works in US gave me the same advice recently. (y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will answer all your questions here in one shot. @Wildbill @Flamenca @Oscar

No, I don't use AVG, Kaspersky or any other AV software. I use Linux and have massive security protections in place to prevent security issues. I run ClamAV periodically on my servers however.
I run NoScript, uBlock Origin and have a custom hosts file on my system to prevent nasties running in my browser. I never click on links in emails, I don't install software from third parties and never open email attachments. In well over 30 years of computing I have never had a virus infection except when done deliberately for forensic reasons. I have a custom firewall that prevents any and all outgoing connections that have not been authorised by myself. I also have network and process monitoring tools running such as iftop. Basically nothing happens on my system without me knowing about it.

When it comes to infections I prefer a condom to a post infection injection :p

I can't recommend an alternative as I don't use windows. However, for systems where I do have some input I always recommend the free MS AV software. Window Defender on latest versions, and on earlier versions windows Security essentials. This is free, from a (relatively) trusted source and does not impact the performance of your system and is not bloated with other unwanted features.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bugger, I've got my missile launch codes on my pc ! Well, when I said missile launch codes, I meant I'd ordered a box of matches from Tesco online to let my rockets off with on Bonfire night. :LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was tempted to mention Defender as an alternative but am suspicious of anything that comes out of MS

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was tempted to mention Defender as an alternative but am suspicious of anything that comes out of MS
Before I completely left MS/Windows. I tested the Windows defender and was extremely surprised MS produced something that good. I was quite surprised.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Not sure if I got this right, but the Russians had broken in so they could find weakness in the software that was deployed to people's PCs. They'd then hack PCs with Kaspersky and exploit it so when it was scanning for viruses, it'd report back if it found other files the Russian hackers might be interested in. I'm not sure if the Russians had actually tampered with the software, they just exploited flaws?

Wasn't the reason that the US found out about this because the Israelis were ALSO hacking Kaspersky's servers and they caught another bunch of hackers in the system at the same time?

I fully suspect that this is regular practice for state sponsored hackers. I expect lots of types of software from lots of providers will be similar. Picking on AV software is a good idea though as its job is to scan through your data.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back