Do you use an Awning in Winter...? (1 Viewer)

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Looking to go to France, Spain and Portugal for 3 months Dec, Jan and Feb Hopefully ! Tunnel booked for 2nd Dec...
Mainly staying on sites for 1 or 2 weeks at a time as this is our first venture Abroad, was wondering do I need to take my 390 Air Awning with me, or just rely on the Canopy Awning on the MoHo... Thanks

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We always used an awning, it's nice sitting in them out of the wind and with sun on them heats the motorhome like a conservatory. šŸ˜ Bob.
2376.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
You say used Bob, don't you go anymore ? Did you tow or drive the car down, was thinking we could hire a car for a week or two if required...

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
I don't use one in summer, never mind winter... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
But do you stay on sites for 2 or 3 weeks at a time ?

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
I occasionally stay on my own "site", a small private orchard in Central Portugal, (aka QMJ) for months at a time...

JJ :cool:

Take that as a No then, Thanks for your reply...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Donā€™t know your weight limits, but might be worth checking what else youā€™re taking as well as it might be a compromise

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You say used Bob, don't you go anymore ? Did you tow or drive the car down, was thinking we could hire a car for a week or two if required...

Hi we live in Spain, so when we use the motorhome these days, we don't tend to use campsites and we are at home in the winter months, and only need a sun shade when we do use it. šŸ˜
Yes we did tow the car down on a trailer, but then our trips were 4 or 5 months or more, and we already had another car sat in our garage in the UK doing nothing. :Eeek::Eeek: :rofl: Bob.

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Donā€™t know your weight limits, but might be worth checking what else youā€™re taking as well as it might be a compromise

Weight limit LOW ! 280Kg but paper excersise 3500 to 3650Kg by the last Owner...2 x 11Kg Gas Bottles so far...Lol Air Awning 24Kg...
Will run with empty water tanks ect, open to any ideas,tips ect

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Hi we live in Spain, so when we use the motorhome these days, we don't tend to use campsites and we are at home in the winter months, and only need a sun shade when we do use it. šŸ˜
Yes we did tow the car down on a trailer, but then our trips were 4 or 5 months or more, and we already had another car sat in our garage in the UK doing nothing. :Eeek::Eeek: :rofl: Bob.

Thanks Bob, was just wondering about the Car, Trailer OK but A Frame a No No ?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Just a note about empty water tanks - if you are driving through France a lot of taps are turned off on Aires in winter, & a lot of campsites are closed. Maybe better carrying water & no awning if itā€™s a choice? Can sometimes get water from cemeteries tho!

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Used one for the first time in Camping Los Manddriles Isla Plana Spain in October this year. Found it a very useful for the extra storage and in the evenings when it got a bit cooler we could still sit outside in the awning. We stayed for a couple of weeks so worth the hassle of putting it up and taking it down.
It's an Air Awning, So goes up fairly quickly. Will definatley take it again this year if we manage to get to Spain after the lockdown in France!!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Looking to go to France, Spain and Portugal for 3 months Dec, Jan and Feb Hopefully ! Tunnel booked for 2nd Dec...
Mainly staying on sites for 1 or 2 weeks at a time as this is our first venture Abroad, was wondering do I need to take my 390 Air Awning with me, or just rely on the Canopy Awning on the MoHo... Thanks

Do you use your awning when you stay somewhere in the UK for a few weeks and find it useful? If so, you'll probably like to have it in France, Spain or Portugal.

If you're moving about daily, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We take a Quest Screenhouse 6, or we did until it was destroyed by wind in Scarborough a few weeks ago. Quicker to put up than our awning and more flexible not having to be attached to MH.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
We take a Quest Screenhouse 6, or we did until it was destroyed by wind in Scarborough a few weeks ago. Quicker to put up than our awning and more flexible not having to be attached to MH.
or even double quest awning we bought last month

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Do you use your awning when you stay somewhere in the UK for a few weeks and find it useful? If so, you'll probably like to have it in France, Spain or Portugal.

If you're moving about daily, it's more trouble than it's worth.

In the UK we have a Caravan on a Seasonal Pitch with Awning up from March 1st to early Oct, so don't stay anywhere in the UK for a few days as the Moho is New to us,and for Winter use Only, as I said we will be staying on sites for 2 - 3 weeks at a time, not moving around daily...

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Many sites in France are already closed for winter and also for virus . We are in a 4 week lockdown at the moment and travel except for essential reasons is forbidden and we have also a curfew . Residents are allowed 2 hour of exercise per day within 2km . At the moment we do not know if it will be extended .

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...

Can't see the Point in a Quest, may as well get a Drive Away Awning, just my Opinion...<Broken link removed>

Last edited:

Deleted User
Just a note about empty water tanks - if you are driving through France a lot of taps are turned off on Aires in winter, & a lot of campsites are closed. Maybe better carrying water & no awning if itā€™s a choice? Can sometimes get water from cemeteries tho!
You're never short of water in France during the winter because all the supermarkets sell it and it's cheap as........well water. We found out years ago when or van dumped it without notice šŸ˜

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Many sites in France are already closed for winter and also for virus . We are in a 4 week lockdown at the moment and travel except for essential reasons is forbidden and we have also a curfew . Residents are allowed 2 hour of exercise per day within 2km . At the moment we do not know if it will be extended .

Realise all that, but as I booked in mid Oct, none of that stood at the time, UK is also in 4 week Lockdown that ends Automatically Dec 2nd, Euro tunnel emailed me this as it allows " TRANSIT RELATED TO LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS "

But hoping by Dec 2nd, France and Spain will be out of their Lockdowns as the UK will be...
IMG_20201109_132756.jpg

Last edited:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Realise all that, but as I booked in mid Oct, none of that stood at the time, UK is also in 4 week Lockdown that ends Automatically Dec 2nd, Euro tunnel emailed me this as it allows " TRANSIT RELATED TO LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS "

But hoping by Dec 2nd, France and Spain will be out of their Lockdowns as the UK will be...View attachment 439506

Automatically?,you seem to have missed Mr Johnson's caveat.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

But hoping by Dec 2nd, France and Spain will be out of their Lockdowns as the UK will be..

My main answer was to let you know that sites will in the main be closed as you mentioned sites and as an add on mentioned the lockdown.

Your version in english does not mirror exactly the french version issues to residents. I have not seen the option re transit related to long distance journeys

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Automatically?,you seem to have missed Mr Johnson's caveat.

According to the Vote in Parliament it will end Automatically on 00.01 on the 2nd Dec, BUT could be reinstated by another vote on Thursday 3rd Dec, but more likely reverting back to 3 Stage Local Lockdown...and as I live in North Devon I think I will have a Window to Escape...

But feel free to enlighten me if I misheard it...

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
My main answer was to let you know that sites will in the main be closed as you mentioned sites and as an add on mentioned the lockdown.

Your version in english does not mirror exactly the french version issues to residents. I have not seen the option re transit related to long distance journeys

Thanks, I will only be Transiting through France, not staying on any French sites, That's the Hope anyways...Will see what happens... Stay Safe...

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
According to the Vote in Parliament it will end Automatically on 00.01 on the 2nd Dec, BUT could be reinstated by another vote on Thursday 3rd Dec, but more likely reverting back to 3 Stage Local Lockdown...and as I live in North Devon I think I will have a Window to Escape...

But feel free to enlighten me if I misheard it...

Mr Johnson said, "It will automatically end IF PEOPLE STICK TO THE RESTRICTIONS THAT I'VE ALREADY PUT IN PLACE".

That simply isn't happening imo.

OP
OP
Kozikot

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Mr Johnson said, "It will automatically end IF PEOPLE STICK TO THE RESTRICTIONS THAT I'VE ALREADY PUT IN PLACE".

That simply isn't happening imo.

Don't think it's up to MrJohnson though, there must be another vote in Parliament for it to continue after 2nd Dec...

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Don't think it's up to MrJohnson though, there must be another vote in Parliament for it to continue after 2nd Dec...

Maybe not, but why extend the furlough until the end of March, and give some businesses a second bite at the BBL?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back