Do You Twist, Slide or Just Jump to Dismount? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi everyone, happy new year!
As some of you may know we are fairly new to mh,s having just got our new van, its a low profile on a Fiat Cab. Having done a couple of trips out now, we have a problem (For TinaL) at least, in getting out of the passenger cab seat. The van has 16 inch wheels and seems very high off the ground, especially when you open the door to get out and look down, so you have to concentrate hard, and pick out your spot that you would ideally like to land on, as its so high.
I now have to get out first, run around TinaL, side and take her hands to help with her disembarkation, as there is not much to use as a firm hold support as the door is not fixed open and can move. She has tried all angles of disembarking the van, she twists round to bum in my face position, her reversing bleeper comes on,(or thats what she tells me it is) but no joy, still very awkward.
She tries to slip out sideways, placing left foot in lower foot well, but cant reach, as her legs isn't long enough, as the seat is too high. So all that is left is for her to put both hands on my shoulders and I take the strain as she climbs out & down.
Ok understandably she is not very confident at jumping out as she has Parkinsons which makes her a bit stiff at times, but I am concerned, as its not always easy to use the hab door exit with electric step in some places.
I think I will have to look at some way of fitting an HD hand rail or something similar, or grab a caravan type step to place on the ground.
Question is are all van cabs this high?, how do the elderly amongst us cope, is there a technique we have not been using yet other than a parachute?
Have fun everyone, as you can see we try to.
Les:D

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
After fallling out in a crumpled heap a few times, I tend to stick to the habitation door! I think the caravan step option may be best for those times when you want to use the passenger door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Mrs Maison has a folding plastic step from IKEA (other brands are available:rolleyes:).

It stows in the door pocket. She has a piece of string attached so lowers it out of the cab and uses the step to reduce the drop. Getting in, the step is deployed, get into cab, lift the step via the string and stow in door pocket.

She has two artificial knees due to arthritis but it works for her.

I must warn you that the steps are expensive........

.......£5 in IKEA.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have seen one if those platform lift things fitted to a cab door.

It's not getting out I have a problem with....it's getting back in. As you say, the step is high.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If I use the cab doors I tend to slide out but it doesn’t always work and I have ended up in a heap using habitation door is so much easier.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
add an electric slide out step below the wheel arch and wire the relay to a door switch. open the door and the step slides out, close and it retracts

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our LHD A class doesn't have a passenger door so the Memsahib has to use the hab door. I do use the drivers door occasionally, petrol stations etc, but mostly use the hab door. It really isn't a problem.

Richard.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
When we are going thro France the toll pay machines are on our passenger side, usually the machine thinks we are a truck and slides the ticket out of a high slot, which means Mrs Geordie had to get out of the cab door to reach right up to it. When we come to pay she also has to get out of the cab door to insert the money or cards, And usually there is not a lot of space to get out of the door due to the narrowness of the lanes. The air can turn quite blue sometimes when she tires of this activity !! Still, keeps her slim as I tell her, which doesn't seem to pacify her surprisingly !!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we never use the cab door on ours, in fact the well is full of bottled water and only ever gets emptied for servicing, far more civilised using the hab door with proper step :)(y)

we also have Lola our Bernese to consider who could never get out of the cab door anyway

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I was young I dismounted in different ways depending on position aquired but don't get mounted these days :rolleyes:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@TinaL not sure if this will help but I carry a mobility aid in both my car and MH, primarily for my elderly mother. Works well at supporting her getting in and out of my car, and is very easy to use/store.
1C83EF83-D727-4B59-BF3E-6088CED9A70A.jpeg

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Amongst we aging retired and near retired lorry drivers (baggy arses) it is a rather well known injury to the feet, ankles, knees, hips and backs from continued launching ourselves from our seats to land like a dismounting gymnast beside our trucks. Many moons ago on the M1 northbound I was stopped by a traffic cop whilst driving a brand new Volvo FH12. He climbed into the passenger seat and sat awestruck as I twisted a little knob .... on the dashboard ... to retrieve my tachograph disc. He did his checks and then said he had stopped me specifically for driver hours checks but also for the chance to look inside this new fangled beasty, a very nice traffic cop and after a few minutes he said his goodbyes, opened the passenger door twisted himself on the seat and launched himself .... at that very instant I screamed "NOOOOOOOOO" too late, he is in mid flight, micro seconds later I heard the soggy slap of his size 11's on the hard shoulder and a sound as if he had been hit very hard in the stomach "ooooooopfh" then silence "you all right"? I asked daring not to laugh ... a further pause then a little weak voice said "yes ... thank you ... take care when re-entering the main carrageway" and in my mirror I saw this once tall officer bend double return to his cat and mate. DO NOT jump out of the seat, you are no longer that teenage sprightly form you once were. Whilst I did grow to have a healthy dislike for the health and safety zealots in the UK in the latter years their advice, and mine too these days, oh how our views change with the passing of time is "always maintain THREE points of contact at any time" ie two hands one foot, two feet and one hand or any other combination you strange people can come up with. May we all have happy and safe dismounts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When I was young I dismounted in different ways depending on position aquired but don't get mounted these days :rolleyes:

Management has forbidden me from answering the original question. Sorry. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have an A class and the step down on the passenger's side cab door is higher than our previous C class. Angela's hips are getting dodgy so the door is permanently locked and dead bolted. Instead we use the hab door and always put out the electric step to do so. Never parked anywhere we couldn't use the step, it sticks out less than the door when open.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When we are going thro France the toll pay machines are on our passenger side, usually the machine thinks we are a truck and slides the ticket out of a high slot, which means Mrs Geordie had to get out of the cab door to reach right up to it. When we come to pay she also has to get out of the cab door to insert the money or cards, And usually there is not a lot of space to get out of the door due to the narrowness of the lanes. The air can turn quite blue sometimes when she tires of this activity !! Still, keeps her slim as I tell her, which doesn't seem to pacify her surprisingly !!
A good case for getting the Sanef Toll tag which is easy to set up online. The C&MHC have a deal on it.
Phil

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
A good case for getting the Sanef Toll tag which is easy to set up online. The C&MHC have a deal on it.
Phil
Good advice there, so much easier going through the tolls, 30km speed ones are great. Eurotunnel do an offer as well.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We nearly always use the Hab door. Our Rapido A class has easy to use in board steps. The Hab door is in the right, the cab door is in the left. We do use the cab door when in a UK lay-by to stay away from traffic, but it is more difficult to use. @Cal54 ’s gadget looks useful. Might be worth a try.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
WE are still young & fit (I think), always use the hab door even when we had a low profile used to use the hab door most of the time. If you are in a position where you can't use the hab door not a place I'd want to park. As @TheBig1 says you could add an electric step, we have one on our drivers door.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
and ...always remember the handbrake lever i've had it up the leg of my shorts a few times and ended up dangling in mid air :Eeek: .

Rosie has the same in out problem with her being FUN sized as well ,especially at the French toll booths , dose not help that the window doesn't wind completely down ...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Being relatively young (54) and long legged , I just slide and step . I sometimes use the footwell step , but not always . I’ve found Having swivel seats makes them higher up. It’s not as higher drop from Ralph’s pickup cab . Though the gap is narrower between seat and dash that makes it more awkward.
I think I’d use the cab door if I was short or had hip/knee problems like others . I suppose it’s getting yourself into the habit .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
and ...always remember the handbrake lever i've had it up the leg of my shorts a few times and ended up dangling in mid air :Eeek: .
Been there done that, another reason for only using the hab door.:)

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Being relatively young (54) and long legged , I just slide and step . I sometimes use the footwell step , but not always . I’ve found Having swivel seats makes them higher up. It’s not as higher drop from Ralph’s pickup cab . Though the gap is narrower between seat and dash that makes it more awkward.
I think I’d use the cab door if I was short or had hip/knee problems like others .

I suppose it’s getting yourself into the habit ........... well ..That's what the Priest said :cry:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that

Rosie has the same in out problem with her being FUN sized as well ,especially at the French toll booths , dose not help that the window doesn't wind completely down ...
I would have to be quite a contortionist to get the handbrake up my trousers. It is in a small cab about 3” wide between the right side of the drivers seat and where-the-cab-door-would-be.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Amongst we aging retired and near retired lorry drivers (baggy arses) it is a rather well known injury to the feet, ankles, knees, hips and backs from continued launching ourselves from our seats to land like a dismounting gymnast beside our trucks. Many moons ago on the M1 northbound I was stopped by a traffic cop whilst driving a brand new Volvo FH12. He climbed into the passenger seat and sat awestruck as I twisted a little knob .... on the dashboard ... to retrieve my tachograph disc. He did his checks and then said he had stopped me specifically for driver hours checks but also for the chance to look inside this new fangled beasty, a very nice traffic cop and after a few minutes he said his goodbyes, opened the passenger door twisted himself on the seat and launched himself .... at that very instant I screamed "NOOOOOOOOO" too late, he is in mid flight, micro seconds later I heard the soggy slap of his size 11's on the hard shoulder and a sound as if he had been hit very hard in the stomach "ooooooopfh" then silence "you all right"? I asked daring not to laugh ... a further pause then a little weak voice said "yes ... thank you ... take care when re-entering the main carrageway" and in my mirror I saw this once tall officer bend double return to his cat and mate. DO NOT jump out of the seat, you are no longer that teenage sprightly form you once were. Whilst I did grow to have a healthy dislike for the health and safety zealots in the UK in the latter years their advice, and mine too these days, oh how our views change with the passing of time is "always maintain THREE points of contact at any time" ie two hands one foot, two feet and one hand or any other combination you strange people can come up with. May we all have happy and safe dismounts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The wife always said i was doing it wrong,,now i know,,:D:D BUSBY.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Another vote from me for a tag. Does not have to be Sanef, ATMB cheaper on running charges.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
only ok , if you are less than 3.5 ton .

The original post was about getting in out of the MH ,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@TinaL not sure if this will help but I carry a mobility aid in both my car and MH, primarily for my elderly mother. Works well at supporting her getting in and out of my car, and is very easy to use/store.View attachment 206223
What's that? It looks dangerous

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back