Do you tip in France? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
In France or Spain I always tip about >10% despite being told that "servis est compris". This week in Paris have asked the question and been told an emphatic "Non, servis is not included".

So, does anyone have a definitive answer? Should I tip or not, don't want to be tight ass Limey!

Maybe a question for Yodelli if you are watching?
Thanks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am a tight arse I agree, but in France or Spain I will add around 10%. Usually servis is non compris. If the service has been crap I pointedly don't leave a tip of course, but this is rare.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
In France or Spain I always tip about >10% despite being told that "servis est compris". This week in Paris have asked the question and been told an emphatic "Non, servis is not included".

So, does anyone have a definitive answer? Should I tip or not, don't want to be tight ass Limey!

Thanks.

I don't tip anyone, unless they provide service over and above that which one would normally expect, no matter what country I am in.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always tip 10% or enough to get a decent drink.
For example a taxi driver charges me £5 I will give him £8. If the charge is £50 I will give a fiver. Unless the taxi driver is a mardy twat or behaves inconsiderately he get nothing.

In restaurants I do the same. I am more aware of tipping in restaurants as they tend to rely on tips to make their wages liveable.

If the service is substandard they get the tip but no repeat business.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
What does "service not included" (in which ever language you choose) actually mean?

Does it mean that the waiters are not paid?

I don't think so!

If the waiter wants a tip, he or she should go out of their way to provide memorable service.

How many times does that happen?

If you ask me it's just a con.

Pete:Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Always, regardless of country.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I lean more towards Itinerant than Snowbird, tipping is often OTT.

I find it very refreshing in Japan where tipping is definitely not expected - the price you see is what you pay, including in taxis.

Elsewhere, if service is clearly included I do not tip as well.

If service is not included I tip - 10% - if the service has been good.

In the US service staff get paid very very little so tipping is important to them, trouble is when americans travel they assume its the same elsewhere and tip as they would at home. This spoils it for everyone else who would not otherwise need to tip so much.

OP
OP
Nirvanauk
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
As said in my OP I believe in tipping, however when you see 15% added to your bill then you think again. I live in York and know of at least one up market restaurant that adds 15%to the bill. I asked a member of staff if they get that money and they said "no way", so I now deduct it from the bill and give the waiter that amount in cash for which they are extremely grateful .!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am fed up with tipping the Government 20% every time i purchase a non food item!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Had a discussion the other day as we are considering opening a cafe.

My suggestion is that tips are kept by the staff concerned so they have a incentive to try that bit harder.

My wife and the two friends present all argued that all tips should go into a fund that is divided among the staff at Christmas.

Part of my argument against that is that there is no incentive for staff who might be thinking that they will not still be working there by Christmas. Also you then have to have a system that gives more to the people who have been there for a long time and less to those who might have been there for a very short time.

Their argument is that it can then be shared out among the kitchen staff too.

Is there a better way?

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always do in Greece and Greek islands, usually do in Spain.. Rarely do in France ( but the reason for that is simple.. We ALWAYS seem to get a bell end for a waiter !!! )

Waiters wages in Greece are bloody awful. Little more than a retainer. They are expected to live off the tips gained. Not a bad idea in one way as they do seem to go out of their way to try and give top notch service :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

My suggestion is that tips are kept by the staff concerned so they have a incentive to try that bit harder.

My wife and the two friends present all argued that all tips should go into a fund that is divided among the staff at Christmas.

Part of my argument against that is that there is no incentive for staff who might be thinking that they will not still be working there by Christmas. Also you then have to have a system that gives more to the people who have been there for a long time and less to those who might have been there for a very short time.

Is there a better way?

Steve

You have to pay Income Tax on any tips you get, and sometimes National Insurance contributions as well.

Read this before deciding .. https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

as for the OP , never tip here or abroad..

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I tend to eat & drink in small village bars in France and over the years have mainly had good service. (Paris cafes are different and in my opinion crap as are the waiters!) I usually tip about 10% - most small places in France are family run and most of the smaller bars are struggling to survive - just like British pubs. However the more I drink the more I tip......e.g lunchtime 1 carafe of wine 10%, dinner: aperitif, wine, digestive 15%-20% after dinner god only knows what I tip!:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017

Thanks.

Do you tip in France...NO!

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I tip to reflect the service I get. So I have left nothing in some places and I have left 20% in others. It's a choice thing in the UK and Europe.

In America it's horrible - a tip of 15% is seen as mean 17-18% is normal and 20% is good. My US friends sit and work it out with a calculator (how bad is that?) I say serve me well and I'll tip, go to no effort and you'll get nowt.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I always tip 10% or enough to get a decent drink.
For example a taxi driver charges me £5 I will give him £8. If the charge is £50 I will give a fiver. Unless the taxi driver is a mardy twat or behaves inconsiderately he get nothing.

In restaurants I do the same. I am more aware of tipping in restaurants as they tend to rely on tips to make their wages liveable.

If the service is substandard they get the tip but no repeat business.

Bugger me, that's 60%! :whatthe:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You have to pay Income Tax on any tips you get, and sometimes National Insurance contributions as well.

Read this before deciding .. https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

as for the OP , never tip here or abroad..

Just remember ignorance is bliss!
Unless your naive enough to think all market traders ,fair workers ,burger bar owners and everyone else who deals in small change,is totally honest. ?
The choice os yours but remember just because others do it doesn't make it right!
You won't get me dumping grey waste or parking without consideration for by laws or land owners.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I always offer a tip in France, although the person taking the order with the headset at the window often gets confused, she just tells me to go to the last window and collect my order...

It really depends where you are:

Village Auberge with low prices and typically good value food vs a Michelin starred place like Bocus in Lyon where the average head is €125.

In Europe I rarely tip unless it's exceptional service, in other countries it's different.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Thanks.

No... as there is a charge on you bill for service

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
In some restaurants in Europe the waiters work their own tables and have a share in the profits for that table. My cousin who worked in a number of restaurants advised me that if I want REALLY good service is to tip/bribe before you sit down and order and the balance on completion,it has never failed me.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I am a tight arse I agree, but in France or Spain I will add around 10%. Usually servis is non compris. If the service has been crap I pointedly don't leave a tip of course, but this is rare.

Better to leave just one cent . Shows you dd not forget or are tight but thought little of the service

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012

Is there a better way?

Steve

Problem with staff keeping tips they are given is that non customer facing staff ie kitchen staff will never get a tip and are therefore disadvantaged. Just thought I'de throw that in. :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
At my sisters restaurant and at her beach bar the tips are all put in the respective pot at each place and they are divied up at the end of each week between all the staff by my sister. She by the way does not take anything from the tips even though you will find her serving tables when its busy most days. Her staff are paid monthly but most have enough from tips to nearly equal the monthly wage. There is no 'he has been here longer so gets more' the tips are shared equally between all

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi when our son was working in a restaurant working his way through college and uni.the owner kept the tips till the end of the month then took 50% for himself then split the rest according to rank or how he saw fit. so now we tip less i must admit as it does not go to who you think. ivory55

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I didn't mention that I will only tip in cash, so hopefully the provider of the service will get it. I don't go for those who try to add it to the card bill as it will either be divvied up or more likely kept by the boss.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
tips

I only tip for great service and will do so whether or not service is included. However, I will only tip the individual concerned in cash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back