Do you take notice of campsite reviews? (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Online reviews, not just for campsites, fall into two main categories. Those who have an axe to grind, and those who were extremely happy. Those who are miffed about something tend to be the more vocal. The average person probably isn't motivated to do any review at all.

I do read reviews, to try and get some idea of whether something is suitable. You have to learn to read between the lines, and look for a theme or pattern forming amongst any positives and negatives. I'm usually looking for any foibles with the physical site that would ruin my enjoyment, whereas regular complaints about staff being miserable can often be interpreted that they run a tight ship and don't take kindly to those who might run amok shattering the peace.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Perhaps an alternative question is "do you contribute to site reviews?"

IF you want and hope for fair comments then you need to take the time and effort to make them for EVERY site which you visit.

It's a two-way street!

Gordon

And NO, I don't. :rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Perhaps an alternative question is "do you contribute to site reviews?"

IF you want and hope for fair comments then you need to take the time and effort to make them for EVERY site which you visit.

It's a two-way street!

Gordon

And NO, I don't. :rolleyes:
I do sometimes. Depends how easy it is to do.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If I just have to use my leveling blocks I count the site as level
Lots of vans sit slightly nose down on totally level ground

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Read the reviews then the other half does that google earth to see if is close to a main road or factory etc to see if it really is quiet.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
What I find funny is the ones that leave a bad review because the site was expensive, you know what you are paying before you stay so if you don’t like the cost find cheaper!
Yes but if they are very expensive and turn out to be a steaming pile of poo, then the negative review is valid :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never take any notice of them at all..
Too many folk use them as a place to axe grind, OR big up a place their 'mate' runs

Lets face it, most site usage is for a few days.. If a site is crappy it goes in MY journal and we never return
After 15 + years that journal has only ONE entry !! :)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I normally leave a review of a new site, I also read reviews, and so far haven't been to a really bad one. I also keep a record of sites I've visited, I used to use Jim's book but now do it on a spreadsheet.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Used to read them for holidays [prior to MH] but it was laughable how different people who were in a hotel at the same time gave such diverse opinions so I stopped taking any notice, I just looked for advice on locality / amenities etc - will do the same for campsites now [or when we can go anywhere !]

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We do read them but with considerable caution. There's a site in Spain that many on here rave about, with reviews to match - we went to it, intending to stay 5 nights, and couldn't wait to get let out the next morning. Just not one for us - if we all liked the same type of sites they'd be impossible to get into!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,er indoors usually leaves a review. If something could be improved we might leave a helpful comment;)
Often find that the reviews are quite old so not necessarily relevant,and that they vary widely,as in the OP........one mans meat etc., But,generally,find them useful.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It amuses me with any review when people write: 'I couldn't fault the......' (+ whatever they are referring to) as if their purpose/attitude/expectation was to find something to complain about.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I read the reviews and sometimes write them too. Especially for when away with the children, good to know if 10 minutes from the beach means a nice walk or a 60mph journey. Amazing how so many pictures are taken at flattering rather than acurate angles, a bit like some crowded covid beaches, where in fact everyone was maintining a minimum of 2M between groups. I do take some with a pinch of salt can't think of anywhere I would not go back to, but some which would not be first choice.
John kept names of all the campsites and aires we visited for the first 4 years, he did not however add any information. might have been just as well, we called in at an aire which looked awful. overgrown, no other vans there, didn't feel right, so moved on. Last time we were away, we landed there again, site had been cleared there were toilets but no showers, a few other vans, lovely village nearby, had we written down it was awful we might not have tried it again.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Only ever been to a site that was so bad I wouldn't stay, and I hadn't read the reviews. I now take more time, the "bad site" was at a riding school and normally had people from the school staying. It wasn't a terrible site but had very basic facilities and services very far from the pitch. We didn't stay and I think they were as happy with that as I was. I didn't leave a review because I didn't stay.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Online reviews, not just for campsites, fall into two main categories. Those who have an axe to grind, and those who were extremely happy. Those who are miffed about something tend to be the more vocal. The average person probably isn't motivated to do any review at all.

I do read reviews, to try and get some idea of whether something is suitable. You have to learn to read between the lines, and look for a theme or pattern forming amongst any positives and negatives. I'm usually looking for any foibles with the physical site that would ruin my enjoyment, whereas regular complaints about staff being miserable can often be interpreted that they run a tight ship and don't take kindly to those who might run amok shattering the peace.

When working in tourism on the dreaded customer feedback form (never give a customer a pen) one of the questions we would ask was 'what was the weather like' and you could guarantee that if it was poor the whole feedback would be less positive than the previous week same hotels, visits, and meals, if it was raining it was never as good as when they tick the sunny box.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I tend to use them to find out about the walk into town, dog walking from site etc. You get to know the things you can ignore!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I was browsing some reviews of a CS near Falmouth-as you do- and this struck me as amusing!

First review: The site is gently sloping, so had to use my levelling kit.
Second review: Very quiet with level pitches.

Pot luck rules OK!
when on some campsites you see some MoHo owners getting out the levelling ramps on something that is pretty flat I assume that the individuals are sensitive to +-1 degree of slope others just seem to not worry. So I assume the first review is from someone who is more sensitive to a slope

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I choose sites for their location rather than their facilities.
Don't know where to look to find reviews, so wouldn't leave one either.
If I don't like a site, I leave it for others...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
when on some campsites you see some MoHo owners getting out the levelling ramps on something that is pretty flat I assume that the individuals are sensitive to +-1 degree of slope others just seem to not worry. So I assume the first review is from someone who is more sensitive to a slope
Some have a fridge that is sensitive to being level for working so level the van up.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Some have a fridge that is sensitive to being level for working so level the van up.
I have heard this, but I think its more than a gentle slope.....but I could be wrong

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I have heard this, but I think its more than a gentle slope.....but I could be wrong
We had a van that was very sensitive, I don’t know if we was the only ones as it’s not something that’s broadcast when wanting to sell it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back