Do you spend your retirement like this? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
having just completed an 8 month battle with Transport for London you have my sympathies not only are they faceless its like dealing with a secrets society everything every reply is sent on the last day so what should be a back and forth of questions and answers stretches in to months
and to crown it all the finally sent me the money they owed me by cheque hand written and double signed it like dealing with mr arkwright
Yes a complete load of tossers. I asked once why TfL offices were based in Brighton? Now they have moved up north somewhere. Also another business that uses "fronting" where those who you actually phone have no input whatsoever & have to pass on anything not on the script to people elsewhere that they also deal with by phone. defies belief.
i have a list of ****ups by them along with not even knowing what they are supposed to know & then trying the "missing "document submit another application ******ks every time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have spent the last 6 months trying to register my MH in Poland, plus establishing my Residential and Tax status here.

Because of a deadline on tax I have not gone to sleep easily, so have spent the last two nights getting up at 0200-0300 and drafting new e-mails to lawyers and accountants. Also to the British Embassy, which seem to be taking a detailed interest in the refusal to register RHD MHs in Poland.

I thought I could relax this evening after responding to all. Then I got an e-mail at 1900 which required a detailed answer including a few calculations.

As a lawyer I can do the nuts and bolts and write a coherent letter to the Polish lawyers, who are excellent in English thankfully, and very switched on.

I think in combination we might be getting on top of the tax situation, and maybe getting some pressure put on the Minister's Department about the MH registration, because an underling advised a week ago that a response was ready for signing, but no such letter has arrived - a re-think in the offing?

One good thing- my Polish driving licence is ready fo collection, if I want to stand outside the building in -4C in a queue waiting to be let in under Covid rules

Does anybody else undergo such situations in retirement?

Geoff
Daily routine for just about anything for us.

not retired, but running businesses, holiday home, vehicle fleets along with family life.

mans when friends say they have had a really stressful day, usually a trip to B&Q. I think, you wouldn’t know stress if it it ran you over.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Exactly! Do we need to petition the government. Ban bank holidays. We don’t need them
Never mind banning them. When I was still in the job if we worked a bank holiday we got double time. I was thinking of putting a claim in for double pension for them🤔🤔🤔😂.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I did not seek sympathy or solutions. I just asked whether anybody in retirement encountered such problems,e.g worse than they had in a working life.

As for why I am in Poland? - I love Basia and she has a near 100 year-old Mother.
As you are fortunate enough to be sharing life with someone whom you love, you need no sympathy frpm any one. You are indeed a very fortunate man.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Personally i have made a point of NOT falling into a routine. Bit of loose planning here and there is all.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I always remember retired people telling me they don’t know how they had time to work and me thinking yeah, yeah. Now I’m semi retired, I honestly don’t know how I would find time to work full time. I think time spent doing what we want becomes more important than work.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I was one of the lucky ones.
I knew long before I left school what I wanted to do.
I left school at the earliest possible opportunity, without taking any 'O' or 'A' levels, began working at a job i loved- I was a girl groom.
Very poorly paid but ecstatically happy for the rest of my life.
Changed jobs and location pretty much every season, working in all disciplines of horsemanship always accompanied by my own dog or dogs- poor but happy doing a job I loved.
At retirement age I was newly divorced, newly diagnosed with MS and working for myself with young and "problem" horses .I continued at this until MS forced me to give up some seven years later.
Then the hand of fate stepped in by way of a substantial (for me) inheritance.
I bought a second-hand moho, ďisposed of a life times accumulation of "horse stuff"",put my dogs in the moho and drove to Andalusia where I have been ever since. Still happy and with my dogs but no horses now.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes a complete load of tossers. I asked once why TfL offices were based in Brighton? Now they have moved up north somewhere. Also another business that uses "fronting" where those who you actually phone have no input whatsoever & have to pass on anything not on the script to people elsewhere that they also deal with by phone. defies belief.
i have a list of ****ups by them along with not even knowing what they are supposed to know & then trying the "missing "document submit another application ******ks every time.

If it was something to do with LEZ I think you will find the administration is outsourced and Tfl have changed outsource companies, thus different location.

Geoff

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well I had a couple of successes yesterday .

I collected my Polish driving licence after 5 weeks, although they told me it would take 2 months since they had to confirm with DVLA that my UK one was genuine, then they decided they could check it using my NI no. - don't know how, because UK goverment agencies are supposed not to share information without an individual's consent which was not sought from me. I have though lost D1 and D1E, but retained A (3-wheel) and C1E (8250kg) having been told these two were not available in Poland. Strange systems.

Another success was that a Tax Lawyer tells me that I can claim enough depreciation on my house in London to eliminate any tax liability in Poland, also it would be exempt from CGT here becasue I have owned it more than 5 years I had read about depreciation previously but did not believe one could claim it on what most markets consider to be a generally appreciating asset, but it is something to do with the Polish housing market when the law was passed in 1990.

I also went to a Phsio, and now that I have found that he and the Lawyer speak perfect English I can dispense with Basia's services as translator, and also as chauffeuse which she has been since my UK licence expired and my Polish one had not arrived.

Now waiting for my Resident's card, which will take several weeks because they have to check with the Police, anti-terrorist office, and Uncle Tom Cobley et al. I have been in the country 10 years without the need for that - could have killed a lot of people in that time.

The MH registration problem is still not resolved. It is still not clear if I cannot re-register whether I can keep the Arto here legally.

For somebody who asked why I do not buy a MH here, the answer is that there is an 'Excise Tax' of 18.6% to pay on top of any VAT and there are almost no 'A' Class for sale here, so it would have to be Germany and travel is not easy for looking nor for taking the Arto to UK.

So it all rumbles on.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Remember tge hare and the tortoise-slow and steady wins the race.
Keep plugging away, you will get there essentially.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
nicholsong. Glad to read that things are starting to click in to place now for you Geoff, and I hope you are able to rest easier and get some proper sleep. (y)

We tend to do our main shop on a Tuesday morning, it’s much quieter and we are out of the way of the workers shopping on a Friday and weekend. I managed to do a full shop at both Morrison’s and B&M in 30mins and back in time for breakfast at 9am
You and me both. ;) Most Tuesday mornings, I'm either going out the door at 07.00 hrs, or at the shop entrance as the doors open. ;) It's the only time to shop with decent social distancing TBH, and like you say, back for a 09.00 ish breakfast. (y)

I was one of the lucky ones.
I knew long before I left school what I wanted to do.
I left school at the earliest possible opportunity, without taking any 'O' or 'A' levels,
I was exactly the same, as in I knew what I wanted to do, but too young and wispy to be a Local Authority Fireman, so once I was of the right age (17.5 years old), I joined the RAF Fire Service, did 12.5 years, then joined a Local Authority Brigade at the age of 30 (up to age 33 for ex servicemen at the time). :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back