Do you spend your retirement like this? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have spent the last 6 months trying to register my MH in Poland, plus establishing my Residential and Tax status here.

Because of a deadline on tax I have not gone to sleep easily, so have spent the last two nights getting up at 0200-0300 and drafting new e-mails to lawyers and accountants. Also to the British Embassy, which seem to be taking a detailed interest in the refusal to register RHD MHs in Poland.

I thought I could relax this evening after responding to all. Then I got an e-mail at 1900 which required a detailed answer including a few calculations.

As a lawyer I can do the nuts and bolts and write a coherent letter to the Polish lawyers, who are excellent in English thankfully, and very switched on.

I think in combination we might be getting on top of the tax situation, and maybe getting some pressure put on the Minister's Department about the MH registration, because an underling advised a week ago that a response was ready for signing, but no such letter has arrived - a re-think in the offing?

One good thing- my Polish driving licence is ready fo collection, if I want to stand outside the building in -4C in a queue waiting to be let in under Covid rules

Does anybody else undergo such situations in retirement?

Geoff

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Okay then, I had a really tough day last Wednesday as I had to drive to Dunoon with a new combi boiler for the plumber to install it in my rental flat. Picture to follow. 🥶😁

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
To an extent, that goodness for the lockdowns,
I have had the busiest 10 months of my life.
4 deaths in the family and I'm the executor for all of them.
4 wills to sort out, 4 sets of lawyers to deal with, 4 houses to clear, 4 houses to sell.
If we were still going to work 5 days a week I honestly don't think we could have coped, as we would be working 25+ hours per day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
What i can say is people told me i would get bored when i retired being (as they said a workaolic), how wrong they were. I am equally busy doing normal retirement things, and loving it.
Mrs Bob does all our financials, i do all the easy stuff, tax ins of cars bikes and stuff, service schedules, plan holiday, and of course lot's and lot's of other nonsense stuff one couldn't do whilst working.
First moved "abroad" in 1979, only recent years have we spent more time in the UK. Have never regretted it, in fact looking back it was the best thing we could have done.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Nicholsong, i think your timing has been really unfortunate,youve been hit with a double whammy of brexit and covid,and i think the saying your stuck between a rock and a hard place,is apt, i hope things work out for you ,and hats off to you both for looking after your wifes mum 👍..... sorry i cant help best regards pampam, ps we are in enforced retirement without pensions, we are living off our savings, because of covid , but are more fortunate than some (64yrs&65yrs).... but its not how we imagined our working life coming to an end lol

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
It has been very easy retiring to Estonia, been here nearly four years now. Temporary residency, driving license, medical all very simple. Sold my UK business coupe of years back (while here in Estonia) and all that went ok with just one trip back to UK needed. Post Brexit stuff all appears to be hassle free with a few emails and smooth and relaxed paperwork although most here is done electronically. Imported a German registered MH a UK registered trailer but did purchase my car here. Everyone has been helpful and most speak good English, I am trying to learn Estonian but every time I try they just use English, route of least resistance I guess!

In all this time I have only ever received one letter (snail mail) and that was to invite me to vote! Everything else is electronic, you even can book all your appointments with Police and Border guard, Transport stuff on line. Most of my medical needs are on line with prescriptions sent to my ID card and then ordered on line and sent to a post collection box. I can live easy here but dont tell any one as its so quiet and only 1.3M people live here. Oh just to put you off it was -30 C the other morning and the water has frozen to one of the houses.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Having only just started on this semi- retirement malarkey through a planned / redundancy path, I am already finding dealing with officialdom frustrating.
Not because I don’t understand procedures, but because I cannot verbally converse with such.
Everything is email this, scan that, download pdf the other etc and fill in on line, and then when you can phone to discuss, the Miriad of mind boggling options to Wade through to get the right department really annoys me.
It’s as if everything today is designed to delay someone actually giving a definite answer first time around.
It is no wonder that the art, and skill, of conversation in a verbal format , for all ages, seems to be diminishing.
Good luck with your endeavours .
It must be doubly frustrating trying to deal with such in a different country to your natural birthplace and in a different tongue.
😊

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
’s as if everything today is designed to delay someone actually giving a definite answer first time around.
It is . Fronting also is/used to be popular with Gov departments and any type of council phone centre.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Though nothing like on your scale, I retired after first lockdown and yesterday I had back to back tele. calls with old clients and 2 new ones who I have introduced to quality advisers, no problems sorted everything, but the anxiety levels went through the roof. This is all because I had turned my mobile on again after not needing it for 6 months. Wish I had thrown it as I said I would, it is irratIonal but I hate it for the disturbance it causes 🤬🤬🤬👹🤬

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
What i can say is people told me i would get bored when i retired being (as they said a workaolic), how wrong they were. I am equally busy doing normal retirement things, and loving it.
Mrs Bob does all our financials, i do all the easy stuff, tax ins of cars bikes and stuff, service schedules, plan holiday, and of course lot's and lot's of other nonsense stuff one couldn't do whilst working.
First moved "abroad" in 1979, only recent years have we spent more time in the UK. Have never regretted it, in fact looking back it was the best thing we could have done.
Very like ourselves except that we sold our French base last year, because of Br3x8t rules, and to spend more time travelling.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Though nothing like on your scale, I retired after first lockdown and yesterday I had back to back tele. calls with old clients and 2 new ones who I have introduced to quality advisers, no problems sorted everything, but the anxiety levels went through the roof. This is all because I had turned my mobile on again after not needing it for 6 months. Wish I had thrown it as I said I would, it is irratIonal but I hate it for the disturbance it causes 🤬🤬🤬👹🤬
My wife worked as a State Registered Nurse for many years before joining, and running, the Medical Department of an American Company’s site in the U.K.

She enjoyed her work enormously but, on the day she retired, she burned her uniform and all her medical textbooks in a symbolic gesture of change of direction in life. Now, 20 years later, she still thinks it was the right thing to do.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Is it me that we seem to be eating ‘tea‘ evening meal earlier and earlier, when working we tended to eat at 6pm now my stomach thinks my throats been cut if the meal isn’t on the table or tray before 5pm 😋

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As a retired lawyer, I find a lot of my days are spent helping a friend of mine who is dying of pulmonary fibrosis (he's at the terminal stage and receiving palliative care). He has a horrible legal case and, whilst he has retained solicitors who are formally dealing with the action, I am asked to consider all the correspondence, pleadings, etc and to make suggestions and give explanations.

I don't mind at all but I also find myself thinking about the case in the middle of the night. All lawyers will know what I mean! So I find that I have even less time for my own stuff at the moment than I did when I was working.

Bleak times for most of us at this time. Keep positive. Hic! (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I retired I started working through the jobs to-do list for our house. I'm nearly through it now so I'm looking forward to going out on 2 wheels and travelling in the mh when we are free to do so.
I've largely forgotten about my previous paid work life.
You raise a very interesting point there. :) My late father first mentioned something along the same lines, remarking that when retired "you no longer have weekends to look forward to". What he meant was when working he would plan what he was going to do on the weekend but since retirement each day was the same.

His comment stuck with me and I now do try to keep a weekly routine with weekends being more relaxed. During the week I'm busy with lots of things but slow down over the weekend and do different things such as cooking Saturday supper. It's not the same as working, when I would probably do the outdoor stuff at the weekends, now I do that during the week as places as quieter, but at least weekends are different to weekdays. The worst thing when retired is to fall into a rut.

Though I guess the OP might relish such a state. :) I hope he is able to resolve things.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Having only just started on this semi- retirement malarkey through a planned / redundancy path, I am already finding dealing with officialdom frustrating.
Not because I don’t understand procedures, but because I cannot verbally converse with such.
Everything is email this, scan that, download pdf the other etc and fill in on line, and then when you can phone to discuss, the Miriad of mind boggling options to Wade through to get the right department really annoys me.
It’s as if everything today is designed to delay someone actually giving a definite answer first time around.
It is no wonder that the art, and skill, of conversation in a verbal format , for all ages, seems to be diminishing.
Good luck with your endeavours .
It must be doubly frustrating trying to deal with such in a different country to your natural birthplace and in a different tongue.
😊
having just completed an 8 month battle with Transport for London you have my sympathies not only are they faceless its like dealing with a secrets society everything every reply is sent on the last day so what should be a back and forth of questions and answers stretches in to months
and to crown it all the finally sent me the money they owed me by cheque hand written and double signed it like dealing with mr arkwright

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
And if retired you can leave your visit until Monday 😊
We tend to do our main shop on a Tuesday morning, it’s much quieter and we are out of the way of the workers shopping on a Friday and weekend. I managed to do a full shop at both Morrison’s and B&M in 30mins and back in time for breakfast at 9am

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back