Do you remove the vans carpets when touring? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when we bought ours, three years old, they had a brand new, never out of the bag set of carpets, we fitted them and ditched them in a year (dog mainly not us) we actually prefer the vinyl flooring anyway, although Bev does like a carpet by the bed, we have compromised and have some kind of ragged thingie there

why anybody has carpets I really don't know, but thankfully we are all allowed our own opinion (y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We don't have carpets in this van, there were some in the garage which had seen better days so they went to the tip, should have made a template first but they were gross. Tend to use thin bath mats but managed to get a nice runner which fitted the kithen area, really a dog mat form Aldi.
Took carpets out out first, new, van put them back in when we sold it. Clumsy adults, messy grandchildren, so much easier to mop up the vinyl floor. is a bit draughty in the cab area though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We kept the small piece if carpet by the bed, nice to put your feet on the morning. The rest came out and I put non slip washable mats around.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We bought it new so thought we would enjoy the benefit of all new and renew if necessary when we sell . We have two dirt gathering mats , one just inside hab door leading to one in kitchen area.
We take shoes off on entry and use slippers inside.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
First thing I did in the motorhome was take the carpets up.
First thing I did when I moved into this house was take the carpets up & take them to the tip.
I just have to think of the dust, dirt, debris lying amongst the tufty stuff and my skin begins to crawl. I can steam and Dettol hard floors ( tad OCD)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a rubber mat thing from Jtf just fits down the middle with some bits cut out , can chuck it out and swill it off with a hose if needed but in reality not very often just a sweep out , less than a tenner(y)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
With our first MH we bought 2nd hand [almost new] carpets were still in their plastic coverings. Better half wanted fully fitted carpets, so the plastic came off. That said there was just the two of us, but we also used additional slip rugs from Dunelm in the main traffic areas. Sold the MH and to be fair the carpets looked the part.
Current MH we preferred the flooring and with underfloor heating its extremely comfortable plus we now have Sasha who really doesnt care whats fitted but she does love sitting under the table where the heat exchanger is situated under the floor.

Ian:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
First thing I did when I moved into this house was take the carpets up & take them to the tip.
I just have to think of the dust, dirt, debris lying amongst the tufty stuff and my skin begins to crawl. I can steam and Dettol hard floors ( tad OCD)
Don't get lying on them, you will have carpet burns if you are not careful;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't order carpets when we buy a van but do cut my own from cheap Gel backed carpet mainly to protect the floor from all the grit & sand that gets troden in, I'm too lasy to take my shoes of every time I get in the van.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Mine removed the day I bought the van. I use 3 x dirt trap mats that are machine washable. I do have a 'muck magnet' of a hound which kind of dictated that cream carpets were not going to last!

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Only the main area carpet had been used in our new to us van so left it down but soon became apparent that beige carpet was not going to stay clean long after tramping about on it with walking gear on so took it out, bought a roll of cheap foamy mat from Lidl that I will put down at night as the hard flooring is gey cool on the toesies.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Took ours out of our van after a really stupid error cleaning it with a bleach solution :frowny: Replacement carpet from Rapido (it is in 3 pieces) quoted at £2,200 for one piece :whatthe: Local carpet fitter has made a really good job of replacing all 3 pieces for £300 and it looks nicer than the original and it can be cleaned with bleach but I might just stick with Shake n Vac ::bigsmile:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When I moved into my new house I took the new carpets up and put them back down five years later, they were like new.....(y) saved me self a fortune....;)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As far as I know, my carpet has never been out of the van since 1987.

If I were to throw it out now it would totally ruin the lives of all the creatures residing in it.

JJ :cool:

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Yes. Replaced with colourful, washable, rag rugs. Easy to shake out, and easier to sweep the floor. :)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We do not have a dog and we can understand the opinion of those that do, but for us we like the "warm" feeling of carpet underfoot. Strict slipper rule stops dirt coming in from outside and when we return from a long trip the carpets come out in a jiffy (pop studs) and get pressure washed which brings them up like new,

The Tincas

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours came with fitted carpets. I got 2 more sets cut and bound from a roll end at a local carpet shop which we use day to day. The originals and one of the new sets are at home in the garage.

We like carpet. If they weren't there when we bought it we would have had some made anyway.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As far as I know, my carpet has never been out of the van since 1987.

If I were to throw it out now it would totally ruin the lives of all the creatures residing in it.

JJ :cool:
Better check it isn't an SSI or world heritage site.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Shoes off at the door and carpets in the van, I cant stand walking around in bare feet with all the bits of grit sticking to me feet.

Martin

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Do removing the carpets not make a difference to the 'soundproofing' in the MH? We've yet to collect our 'new to us' MH :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our van came with plain CREAM loose-lay fitted/shaped carpet. It's a camping car! :(

It really bugs me that van converters install such inappropriate floor coverings. Cream for camping - crazy!! (n)

Anyway, they were straight out and a quick trip down to the local carpet shop for a big piece of vinyl off-cut (£20). Cut the loose-lay vinyl to fit and sit on top of the original fitted vinyl - works a treat, looks original so doesn't spoil the aesthetic appearance of the van, but protects the underlying floor. No worries about mud or grit, which can be easily cleaned. We do use a door mat too. :)

It was exactly the same with our previous coachbuilt van - came with light beige carpet...

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

A TAD OCD !!!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Carpets were an option when we got our MH and we didn't tick that box as with dogs a washable floor is much more practical.

Like others though we do have a couple of non slip mats down at the bed end and entrance point.

Even though no carpets, we still avoid outdoor shoes in the hab area, crocs being the footwear of choice:imoutahere:

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Do removing the carpets not make a difference to the 'soundproofing' in the MH? We've yet to collect our 'new to us' MH :)
I am intrigued by your anticipation for the need to reduce sound by having a carpet. When we use the carpet, we are usually not moving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back